Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame and Dreamcast in same cabinet  (Read 4164 times)

null

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2004, 04:00:53 pm
Mame and Dreamcast in same cabinet
« on: October 29, 2003, 01:32:57 am »
I have compiled all of the parts in order to build a fine mame cabinet and before I start putting it together I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or improvemesnt on my plan to incorperate a Dreamcast (mostly to play arcade fighters) into the cabinet along side the mame computer while still being able to use the same joysticks and buttons for both systems. I'm going to be using an ATI All-in-Wonder card to display mame from the computer onto a TV. My plan is to use a A/V switch box to toggle between the DC and Mame for the audio and video. For the controls I was going to splice the arcade control wires to an I-PAC and a pair of hacked DC controllers. Could it be possible if I could change what system the controls controlled with a switch of some sort?   I think this idea will work but I wanted to get an expert's opinion before I started.

Thanks in advance,

null

P.S. I am a complete beginner in wiring controls so please assume nothing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 02:16:08 am by null »

freppa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2004, 08:45:31 am
Re:Mame and Dreamcast in same cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 06:10:10 am »
It shouldn't be a problem. Lots of people have done it. You have to use some type of switch though. I've heard some people using printerswitches and hacked printercables to wire their controls with good results.

look here:

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=11422

and here

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_dreamcast.shtml

and here

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consoles.shtml

/Freppa

djohng

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2006, 08:25:40 pm
  • Finding new ways to utilize my XBox!
    • Retroarcade (boXcade - XBox Arcade Cabinet)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 09:05:18 am »
As far as switching between audio and video, I use a VGA box for the dreamcast, which has a PC input.

The box automatically senses when the DC is on and switch the PC video input off.

The VGA box is made by Performance/Interact.
djohng

abrannan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2012, 11:32:14 am
  • Building a cabinet in perpetuity since 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 10:33:19 am »
I've never tried it, but you should be albe to achieve what you're looking for by switching the grounds.  Wire up the buttons to both your I-pac and your DC controllers.  Run the ground line from your controls to the common terminal of a two position switch from Radio Shack or suchlike.  Run the ground of the I-Pac to one side, and the ground from the DC controllers to the other.  When the switch is set to "I-pac" pressing a button will complete a circuit with the I-Pac, and the DC ground will remain disconnected.  This should prevent the whole "diode" hookup thing that others recommend.

But like I said, I've never actually tried it.  Someone please correct me if I'm making a large error somewhere.  I have an Engineering degree, but I got 'C's in the electronics courses.  If what I'm trying to describe is unclear, let me know and I'll try to put together a diagram or something.
If no one feeds the trolls, we're just going to keep eating your goats.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 04:00:38 pm »
I've never tried it, but you should be albe to achieve what you're looking for by switching the grounds.
This has been discussed here many times. Do a search on the archives and I think you'll find that the consensus is that its not that simple.

I've never tried it just read about it here many times. I'd say the consensus was the easiest reliable way was some kind of quick connect to plug in one interface or the other to the controls.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

abrannan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2012, 11:32:14 am
  • Building a cabinet in perpetuity since 2002
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 04:33:05 pm »

I've never tried it just read about it here many times. I'd say the consensus was the easiest reliable way was some kind of quick connect to plug in one interface or the other to the controls.

Which is precisely what I have done with my project.  Allows me to run PC, PS2, and Dreamcast with swappable encoder modules.  Running as many wires as the method I described above would be a nightmare.  Plus this way I can add modules any time I want.  I'm currently using two D-Sub connectors (9 & 25 pin) to connect my modules.  I'm probably going to invest in some 40 pin IDC connectors and change over so I can use IDE cables to connect my various modules a little bit cleaner than I currently have.

If no one feeds the trolls, we're just going to keep eating your goats.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 09:44:51 pm »
Can anyone point me to an example where someone has used diodes to do this?  I tried searching with no luck.

Thanks!