Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Launcher for Windows  (Read 2340 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 11:56:43 am
Game Launcher for Windows
« on: April 24, 2002, 04:33:20 pm »
I love the frontend Game Launcher. I think it is pretty much THE BEST frontend for a Mame cabinet.  It's simple and looks good.  However, it is for DOS....I was wondering if anyone knows anything about porting DOS programs to Windows?  If I was a programmer I would attempt this in a second, but I'm not :(.  Anyways, is anyone here (possibly the author, Dave Driblin) interested in ported Game Launcher to Windows?  I believe that MANY of us use Game Launcher and it would benefit a LOT of folks.  Thanks

<a href=http://www.dribin.org/dave/game_launcher/>Game Launcher website</a>

Jakobud
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
Re: Game Launcher for Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 04:34:32 pm »
oops what the hell is wrong with that html?  Anyways, here is the website:

http://www.dribin.org/dave/game_launcher/

copy paste I guess. sorry

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 06:56:14 pm »
I know this isn't the answer you wanted.  But as an alternative, the new version of Raging Dragon will operate/be setup very similar to game launcher and have the same features it has.  Right down to the screenshot behind the game menu if i can help it. :)  Also emuwizard looks very similar to gamelauncher if you apply the right skin.  I think a popular mis-conception regarding emuwizard and my fe in particular is that they have to look like the preview screens.  Nothing could be be further than the truth. If you like simplicity then turn the stuff you don't want off.  

Gamelauncher will run in windows but with mixed results.  I think the main reason that no-one has ported it is because it's dos based, and from a graphics standpoint, it's much easier to use vb or c++ and make a new gui that utilizes the win environments advantages.  I use a TON of api calls that interface with the windows shell and graphics functions directly, which gives it added speed and compatability.  The only thing that could make it faster/better at this point would be to use the directX openGl libraries and functions.  

Just keep that in mind.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2002, 10:38:44 pm »
Howard,

I'd love to try your Raging Dragon, but i can't get it or the skinner to run. I get an error saying that 'imagxb3.dll' is not valid or something.  Looks like a vb thing to me. I have the latest VB runtimes off your site installed also. Not sure the problem is.  Using Win98se.  Also regarding your website, if I were you I would include a lot more screenshots than the one you have on there.  Personally, I hate frontends that look like the skin you are using for your screenshot page. I am all about just a simple list of games.  And since your frontend can do custom skins, I would put a lot of screenshots up of all sorts of different skins that can be done. Might attrach more folks!  Let me know what you think of the error I am getting.

Jakobud

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2002, 04:24:20 pm »
'imagxb3.dll' not found?   run the runme.bat... that error is becuase you haven't registered the dlls in the dlls folder
:)

next time drop me a line when you have problems :D