Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: my first marquee (pic)...but i need lots of constructive crticism!!! help!  (Read 4008 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
okay this is my first attempt at a marquee.  i whipped this up pretty fast because its more or less an "idea" what what i want it to look like.  but i wanted to put it up so people can look at it and tell me what sucks, what could be better...if the whole thing sucks tell me that too :).  but also, im looking for a good background to put behind it...red just isnt all that stunning.  so please give me advice and stuff!  thanks.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/hulkster081/mame.html

however, sometimes when i click on my page, it shows the marquee like...huge!  and other times, it shrinks to the screen so its easy to see.  why wont it stay small?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:20:01 am by hulkster081 »

said7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2012, 02:24:47 pm
  • "I smell..... NERDS" - Ogar
    • www.said7.com
Use the save for web feature in photoshop to output a version more web friendly :)
Check out my site: http://www.said7.com
Arcade site comming soon.

F|end

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2007, 07:27:59 pm
  • I'm 250 euros away from a working cabinet...
To be sincere and to complete the 1st critique, try making something smaller and less hulk hogan...

Try using more detailed pics...

;D
Pedro Vieira

hulkster

• Offline Offline
well i dont know photoshop all that well... i tried messing with it in the web save thingy, but i dont have a clue as to how to down size it.  oh well.  guess its going to be a plain MAME marquee from emdkay.  unless someone wants to create one for me  ;D

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
FIND SOME BETTER PICTURES  ! ;)
I mean generally you look for very high res pictures.
even if you dont like the actual pictures that much.

then redo/resize the marquee and post again ! ;)

hulkster

• Offline Offline
see the problem is i cant find better pictures.  i searched for forever last night of good quality hulk hogan pics (i was just sure there were THOUSANDS ::) ...not really) but couldnt find any.  my hulkamameia name i thought was very original, but i cant put it together right.  oh well.  unless you know of a big abundance of high res hulk hogan pics, i'm out of luck!

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
google advanced image search is your friend! :)

http://members.tripod.com/S_A_J/hulkhogan.html

These look cleaner than the ones you got - they should resize better.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
well thats a good collection of pics, and i dont know if they are high res or not, but anyway....i still have the problem of how to make the image.  i made that one, and its okay i guess, not really...

but i set the image properties to 300dpi right?  then after that i start adding my text and all that and pics.  after i get done the image is crazy big, how do i know if the pics look like crap or not?  i mean, when i look at it on screen in a small version, it looks fine, but if i blow it up, it may be all pixelated.  how do i know if my image is suffering from that?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
The red! It burns my eyes! j/k

hulkster

• Offline Offline
well what would you suggest?  i need help! :'(

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
well what would you suggest?  i need help! :'(

Ok first thing is to relax ;) Maybe a start in the right direction might be to read the tutorial I made on arcade artwork - it has some general info you might be interested in other than just vector stuff (which also is useful).   Look for it on the downloads section of this site.

There are 2 problems here - 1 is that you don't really know the software too well, and 2 is there aren't any good pics to work with.  Hard to make a good marquee without having a solid knowledge of the tools, so I'd work on #1 first.  And keep scouring the net for images...you may get lucky!  Maybe scan an old poster or something.  Let us know of any more problems and we'll try to help.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
yeah good call on the relax thing.  im very impatient as Howard will testify for that :)  what i think i may do is get a regular mame marquee first, and then maybe in a few months, make my own marquee.  thanks for the tips though

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Well finding pics for  Hulk theme may be a bit difficult. Is there any other theme you might settle for?

hulkster

• Offline Offline
well i could probably settle for some cool street figther MAME theme, but i know there are some already out there that have done this.  so anyone want to give me links to these people?  i guess id just like for it to have the word MAME in the middle and street figther theme.  

also, once i find someone that has the image in the right size, i just save it to disk and take it to kinkos and they will put it on good paper for me?  and how much?

emdkay

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2019, 09:53:25 pm
  • Authentic & Repro Arcade Artwork & Bartop Cabinets
    • EMDKAY - Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork

also, once i find someone that has the image in the right size, i just save it to disk and take it to kinkos and they will put it on good paper for me?  and how much?

If you have a bad experience with Kinko's, you could always email the file to me and have it printed up to your dimensions.  

Good luck!
EMDKAY.net - Your Original Source for Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork, Arcade & Mame Marquees, and Home Arcade Bartop Cabinets
Improve the lives of children with toys and games through Emdkay & Child's Play! - See specially marked products.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
wel i was probably going to buy from you anyway, so i might just do that.  one question though, i saw on your website that when i clicked on a marquee to add to cart, it said it was like 35 bucks or something.  then when i saw your ebay stuff, it was only like 14 dollars.  whats up with that?  are the marquees bought from the web site really 35 bucks?

emdkay

• Offline Offline
wel i was probably going to buy from you anyway, so i might just do that.  one question though, i saw on your website that when i clicked on a marquee to add to cart, it said it was like 35 bucks or something.  then when i saw your ebay stuff, it was only like 14 dollars.  whats up with that?  are the marquees bought from the web site really 35 bucks?

No, the marquees on the website are $19.95 each.  Maybe you added two marquees to the shopping cart making the total $39.90?  

Let me know which marquee you put in the cart and I will double check.
thanks,
Brent
EMDKAY.net - Your Original Source for Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork, Arcade & Mame Marquees, and Home Arcade Bartop Cabinets
Improve the lives of children with toys and games through Emdkay & Child's Play! - See specially marked products.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
yeah it was probably my stupidity.  dont worry about it.  ill take your word for it  ;D  youll be hearing from me soon no doubt  ;)

emdkay

• Offline Offline
 ;)

knuttz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2017, 01:46:08 pm
I know that this is a rather old post but I just had an idea for your cab.  Why not use the picture of Hogan from the Legends of Wrestling II video game box cover on your marquee.  Acclaim's website has desktop backgrounds up to 1280x1024 which should be good quality.
http://www.legendsofwrestling2.com/desktops/index.html
I've attached a very rough draft of my idea I did in MS Paint.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 04:27:09 am by knuttz »
"Look at all those hamburgers. You can't eat all those hamburgers you stupid fella, OH GEEZ!" "OH he's gonna do it! He's so rediculous."

hulkster

• Offline Offline
well crap dude, that looks cool...unfortunately ive already sent my money into emdkay.net for a galaxy mame marquee....thanks for the effor though, the marquee was supposed to ship today, so oh well.  thanks anyway

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
Re:my first marquee (pic)...but i need lots of constructive crticism!!! help!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 11:54:38 pm »
Or how about one of these?  Just in case you decide for a Hulkamamia marquee later.  I could definitely put some more effort into cleaning it up and tweaking colors/design, especially the left pic.  I vectorized the Hulkamamia logo but it also needs some polish.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.