Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: consoles to act look like arcade games?  (Read 3928 times)

Shieldwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 12:48:53 am
  • SpearShield.com
consoles to act look like arcade games?
« on: October 12, 2003, 11:59:08 pm »
Has anyone made an emulator or program that makes console emulators act more like arcade games? Instead of press start it says insert coin. Just wondering.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:consoles to act look like arcade games?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 01:16:30 am »
Has anyone made an emulator or program that makes console emulators act more like arcade games? Instead of press start it says insert coin. Just wondering.
Ummm, I think what you are looking for (at least for the Dreamcast) would be called the MGCD.  Its a piece of hardware (not an emulator or software) that makes the Deamcast play a select number of games (mostly Naomi ports) with "Insert Coin" type msgs.  Here is an example on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3246808453&category=13718

Personally they are not worth it (unless you are one sick dude who wants to charge friends to play).  Do a search on "mgcd" and you will probably find lots of discussion theads on this.

hooded_paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2013, 08:59:01 pm
  • Finch! hahaha
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 02:05:09 am »
a quick edit (if you have the source code and the skills) of an emulator would make it so you have to insert a coin before each press of start ...
but yeah other than those weird Dreamcast things, you aren't gonna get anything realistic, because people can't actually change the game ROMs.
There is SO a spoon.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 10:40:08 am »
You could configure it so that the start button was the quarter switch. I don't know why you would though, most console games don't lend themselves to being pay per play very well.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 08:46:24 am »
Well that wouldn't make it any more realistic because then you wouldn't have to press start.  The poster is talking about adding real coin input and having the games detect coins, show an insert coin message, ect....

Long story short with the exception of the dreamcast games above this isn't gonna happen.  As the others have said, this would require altering the internal code of the game rom, which I don't think anyone is willing to do just for a puny insert coin message.

In order for a front-end to do it it would have to grab frames and super empose an insert coin message at 30+ fps full screen.  This is hard enough, but then it would have to be rigged to figure out when your game is over, when it's time to continue, ect... So really I see no way this could be done without some interaction with the rom, and as I said, ain't gonna happen.  

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 12:34:57 pm »
Excatly Howard
Thanks for the help.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 01:31:25 am »
You might be able to do something along the lines of a play choice where quarters unlocked the emulator, maybe even for a given period of time, if your aim were actually to try to make money off it, but your games would still say "press start" etc.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 12:09:18 pm »
I'm not trying to really charge for it. I just thought it would look kind of cool.

null

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2004, 04:00:53 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 02:04:18 am »
a quick edit (if you have the source code and the skills) of an emulator would make it so you have to insert a coin before each press of start ...
but yeah other than those weird Dreamcast things, you aren't gonna get anything realistic, because people can't actually change the game ROMs.

You can actually bust open a dreamcast cd image and play with the files, there are also plug-ins for photoshop to edit dreamcast images. Maybe I'll dust off my dreamcast isos and give it a shot...

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:03:28 pm »
that would be sweet