Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Someone uses a ATI 9250 PCI with groovymame?  (Read 2336 times)

Rockman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2014, 12:10:33 pm
Someone uses a ATI 9250 PCI with groovymame?
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
Hi guys!

I tried today an original ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256Mb with groovyarcade/groovymame with a previous Installation and frezzes after the initialization of the Linux Kernel.

I tried also with the Groovyarcade Live-CD and freezes the PC after the selection of the video output and the init of Linux Kernel too.

With my tunned Ati radeon 9250 with the AGP port all is OK.
I want to use Groovy with a PC without AGP port.

Here my question: Is possible use the PCI version? Someone have succes with it? Is possible to add support for that videocard? This chipset are one of the best for arcade resolutions....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :badmood:

Thanks masters!!! :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Someone uses a ATI 9250 PCI with groovymame?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:23:42 am »
Hi Rockman,

I'm assuming you have tested all the outputs in the boot menu, etc.

So the key question is if any Linux distribution different from Groovy works with that card, as the patches we're doing to the kernel shouldn't make any difference between the 9250 PCI and its AGP counterpart.

And just in case check the bios settings, although I guess you already did because you're not a novice in these matters :)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:27:17 am »
Hello Rockman , I confirm that ati 9250 pci vga groovyarcade work in, just reconfigure xorg.conf, pci port: xxxx is different, so it is not recognized.

You have the boot at 15Hz?

This is my card:

ATI Radeon 9200(RV280) chipset
- PCI: 1002/5961
- Number of transistors (millions): 36
- 0.15um technology
- 128MB 64-bit DDR
- Real clock: 165MHz
- Effective clock: 330MHz
- Bandwidth: 2640MB/S
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:29:07 am by ves »

Rockman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2014, 12:10:33 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:45 am »
Thanks/gracias for your fast/technic/clarify answers Calamity & Ves, you are the BEST!!! (almost)

@Calamity: I tested all outputs in the groovyarcade bootmenu. I tested some tweaks in the MOBO Bios without success. (init PCI Video First, etc...)
I have to test it with another distros...

@Ves: The PCI videocard is "untouched" and the boot is at 31.5Khz. (I have yet to do so) ;)
I don't have the specs of that card now. I'll try to get them out.
MMmmmm xorg.conf, interesting. I have to look at that.
I have to modify in this folder: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?
To config that label  "pci port: xxxx",  If this is the format= PCI:bus:device:function? PCI:bus:device:function

(...)
BusID "bus-id"
    This specifies the bus location of the graphics card. For PCI/AGP cards, the bus-id string has the form PCI:bus:device:function (e.g., "PCI:1:0:0" might be appropriate for an AGP card). This field is usually optional in single-head configurations when using the primary graphics card. In multi-head configurations, or when using a secondary graphics card in a single-head configuration, this entry is mandatory. Its main purpose is to make an unambiguous connection between the device section and the hardware it is representing. This information can usually be found by running the Xorg server with the -scanpci command line option.
(...)

I have to run -scanpci option with xorg to view the config of the PCI ports to config xorg.conf? How I can do it?

Mmmm also, there is a possibility that the card does not work properly, but I have 2 more PCI's on the way. When the cards are in my hands, I will try them.

This afternoon will realize tests at home!

I really appreciate your help.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:32:34 am by Rockman »

dmarcum99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 05:07:16 am »
Your hardware combo may intefere with the 9250...

The only reason I say this:  I have 5 different 9200/9200SE/9250's that simply will not work with my 2 separate AMD mobo/CPU combos.  For giggles, I tried these cards with a ancient intel mobo and everything worked.  I could not use the intel mobo because I needed better performance, sadly.

As always, your mileage may vary.