Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scored a nice Galaga restoration, need help finishing it up.  (Read 3077 times)

sed6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2014, 12:43:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Scored a nice Galaga restoration, need help finishing it up.
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:55 pm »
Over the last month or two I've become fascinated with the idea of owning a Galaga arcade game.  I considered new cabs and old, Jamma, Mame or just keeping it stock.  I happened upon a mostly completed resto on CL and brought it home.

It's got new art on three sides, new CPO, original marquee and bezel.  All the wiring and internals look original(ish) and I suspect the coin door and parts have been serviced or replaced.  Same for the CP.

Unfortunately there's no monitor so I haven't been able to really play it right.  Everything works as promised by the seller, as far as I can tell.  It counts coins, goes into attract mode, plays just fine as far as I can tell.  In fact I've made it to stage 2.

Is the filter board necessary?  Is mine hooked up right?

A local arcade fan suggested my cab may be a reproduction based upon the 2x4 bracing at the bottom and sides.  I'm thinking it's just been reinforced (as have the old screw holes been reinforced with JB weld), because the serial number on the cab matches the one on the tag.

Where do these two tags affix to?

And if you're feeling really helpful, where do all these tags go? And how about the Yellow wire?  I have another one going to the filter board and another one going to the coin door and frame.

The CP looks great except for the minor bubbling/cracking along the edge, anyone tried to remove those clear cracky bubbles with a heating iron or similar?

I've got the original buttons which I'll clean up and reinstall, along with the original leaf switches for the joystick.  The coin door looks great except no rivets on the name plate.

Yeah, she looks good! Can't wait for a monitor!

There's a little paint to be touched up in the bottom right corner of the bezel and a bit along the bottom also.

Who can tell me why this CGA to VGA converter doesn't work when plugged into the PC input on the back of my Samsung LCD TV? My TV says check signal input.  I plan on putting a recapped WG 4900 or G07 in it, but don't want to drop the cash for one if it won't work.  I borrowed this converter from a local arcade repair guy, but can't get it to work.  I'm going to start another thread here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122819.0.html.

The new finish on the exterior looks to be well done.  It's tough, almost feels like super thick paint or a thin plastic shell.  The art is perfectly parallel to the rear despite what the camera shows.

Bully showed much more enthusiasm for my new project than my wife did.

With luck I can add a few more games in the future.  I've got my eye on a Rampage World Tour and a Donkey Kong.

I've read SO much on the forum these last few weeks.  Thanks everyone for all the good info so far!  I appreciate any input on changes or improvements I can make to further restore it's functionality and condition.

Scott
OKC, OK
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:59:52 pm by sed6 »

sed6

• Offline Offline
Re: Scored a nice Galaga restoration, need help finishing it up.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:52 am »
Hi guys-
Any help with the location of those tags and that wire?

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:55:30 am »
I'm not your guy for originality.  the yellow strap is to carry ground between the various metal components of the cab - look and see if you have a piece of metal that's not grounded - possibly the monitor frame since that seems to be missing completely. 

the red sticker under the ground strap obviously went on the power cord. 

Post this on KLOV's forums in their restorations section, you'll get some good info there. I'm sure this cab is well known - popular game. 

sed6

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:22 am »
Will do, thanks!

TGov

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2017, 02:07:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »
Nice find.  I agree, you will probably get more info on a restore over at KLOV.  Just don't ever talk about MAME too much over there, it might get ugly  ;D  :blah:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:20:16 pm »
Nice score on an already physically restored cab! Hope it was cheap!

First rule of arcade restoration...check the manuals/parts list before diving in. They can give you some information that you might not see right-out, as well as let you know of what parts you're missing:
http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/G/Galaga.pdf

Is the filter board necessary?  Is mine hooked up right?
It's probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more interference-protection.
You may need it if you find you're getting interference on the video/audio lines, or weird or intermittent controls. 

As for the paper placements, best thing to do is search the net for images, or ask someone who already owns an original Galaga to give you the locations of where these are placed. Though, I wouldn't worry about mounting them yet, till you have the monitor in place and the game up and running. Just so you don't ruin them while you're working on the insides of the cab.

But like others have said, KLOV is the best place for resto's. They also have a good Buy&Sell, and you should be able to get your hands on a G07 without too much hassles, those monitors are pretty common and it seems that most mamer's tend to throw these out and replacing them with LCD's.  :-\

RaXor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2012, 03:41:37 pm
  • The 80's called, they want their arcades back!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
Great buy!!!

Love these Galaga cabinets, something I hope to use to build my personal collection. Kudos to you! :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2024, 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
This one (big one up top):

goes on the wood above the monitor, so you can see the dip settings when looking at the back of the cab with the door off.  I just picked up a Galaga but it was gutted. I don't see the little tag on mine, but a similar one is on my MKII on the inside near the PCB. I should prolly take a pic cause I cant explain it very well :/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.