Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Value of a scrap playfield with machinery?  (Read 1810 times)

ggroce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2013, 02:28:45 pm
Value of a scrap playfield with machinery?
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »
I don't own any pinball machines, (yet), but I'm wanting to construct a custom one and use an arduino to drive the logic.  I'm currently searching for a used playfield that has the machinery and complete assemblies attached.  They don't have to be from specific games as it's all scrap, (and I'd hate to ruin a good or classic playfield), but I'm wondering, how much should I be paying for something like this?  All the playfield plastics being attached or isn't a big deal, mostly need the machinery and assemblies. 

I want one from at least '85 and up.  I've seen these in earlier posts selling for as little as $50, (with free pickup), but don't see any selling on ebay cheaper than $100 with $70 shipping, and the craigslist community here, (in Houston), is extremely lean. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:01:07 pm by ggroce »

ggroce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2013, 02:28:45 pm
Re: Value of a scrap playfield with machinery?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
Well, I figured with a slightly more modern field it might not be quite as worn and would be more likely to have a good variety of hardware on it? Is this wrong?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Value of a scrap playfield with machinery?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
Well, I figured with a slightly more modern field it might not be quite as worn and would be more likely to have a good variety of hardware on it? Is this wrong?

You're definitely thinking about it from the wrong angle.  Games from the last 25 years will have more wear on them because the game is so much faster.  So many more balls in play, more toys, stronger flippers.  A game from maybe '83 and older is a much slower game.  Those games don't have 4 ball multiballs and 50 volt flippers.  Those playfields tend to be in much better shape on average if we're talking about games that were on location rather than in somebody's basement.