Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: For my fellow rotators: Hyperspin in landscape, vertical, flipped - super easy  (Read 9188 times)

griffindodd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
 :afro: So I had a hunch about easily flipping Hyperspin between Landscape & Portrait...

Well this solves a lot of problems for me, hopefully it will for everyone else with rotating screen cabs.

Just install this free app 'irotate' http://entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm and initiate it with either keystrokes or via command line/bat script
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:05:41 pm by griffindodd »
I drink and I know things.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Good work but there's a bit more to it - you have to get layouts that look good stretched, although the mame one you're showing seems fine.  you also need to be able to call the correct orientation when you start the game.  for a short list it's ok to set up .bat files, but for a larger list you really need something that gets orientation from metadata.  I really hope HS 2.0 picks up switching layouts for and checking meta data/xml for orientation.  They're saying it will.   

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Good work but there's a bit more to it - you have to get layouts that look good stretched, although the mame one you're showing seems fine.  you also need to be able to call the correct orientation when you start the game.  for a short list it's ok to set up .bat files, but for a larger list you really need something that gets orientation from metadata.  I really hope HS 2.0 picks up switching layouts for and checking meta data/xml for orientation.  They're saying it will.

DNA Dan already has a solution for that part which he hacked together, however he always had to return to landscape when leaving a vertical game as he couldn't get Hyperspin into portrait mode, this eliminates that issue.

Of course the menu is kinda stretched in vert mode with the 16:10 screen, would work nicer on a 4:3. Personally I can live with the stretching to have a fully functional FE like Hyperspin working in both screen orientations
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:34:01 pm by griffindodd »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 08:57:01 am
Should be possible run it in windowed and have autohotkey position the window & black out the frame.
Could also have a background that matches your bezel.
If you make the width of the window the same as the height of your monitor, it would stay the same size when rotated.
Might even be possible to have authotkey resize the window when it switches to vertical.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Should be possible run it in windowed and have autohotkey position the window & black out the frame.
If you make the width of the window the same as the height of your monitor, it would stay the same size when rotated.
Might even be possible to have authotkey resize the window when it switches to vertical.

Possible, I noticed if you do a square window it ranges to the top right of the screen on rotation, so fullscreen works best with the least hassle.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 08:57:01 am

Possible, I noticed if you do a square window it ranges to the top right of the screen on rotation, so fullscreen works best with the least hassle.

If you decide you do want to mess with it at some point, here are the related autohotkey commands:
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/WinMove.htm to postion the window
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/WinSet.htm to remove the title bar and black out the frame
Could be incorporated into the same script that tells irotate to rotate the screen.

I'm using irotate and this method to play vertical shmups on Makaron(which doesn't rotate) on a horizontal monitor.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:34:43 pm by BadMouth »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
If you were super anal about Hyperspin not stretching on a 1920x1080 monitor you could make it windowed at 1080x810 and it would fit in either orientation at the correct 4:3 aspect ratio, obviously it would be smaller, but that's the trade off.