Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: reflected monitor.  (Read 1025 times)

Yenome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
reflected monitor.
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »
so i was at a truck stop today and saw one of the cabs that use a mirror like screen to reflect the monitor image. i was wondering if anyone knew anything bout this style of cab and what is the pros and cons of making one. I think the reflected screen was just as big as the monitor they had in it. it was for the light gun game warzaid. it was the 2 player version. I know years ago i saw other cabs done like this. this video is of a house of the dead cabinet that uses a reflected screen
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:50:32 pm by Yenome »
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 pm
Re: reflected monitor.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:51:13 am »
My Terminator 2 cab is like this. Unfortunately, it's also using some kind of strange reflective paint on the rear of the mirror (it's actually a one-way mirror.. much of the paint has flaked off, meaning that from the front instead of seeing the reflected picture you see through the back of the cab instead!)

It also means the monitor is mounted vertical instead of horizontal, which is much harder to easily remove.

All in all, a bit of a pain!

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:23 am »
yea i was reading more bout it from what lil i could gather not a whole lot of info on this type. all i found out is like you said uses one way mirror and its a pain in the butt to get it out. tho most the ones i see have the monitor horz. there is one game that uses this for 2 of its 3 monitors seems like it might be awesome to play. course i also been thinking bout a mame cab wit ha fresnal lens then you could use a smaller monitor and save money and weight.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »
actually the monitor in this cab (house of the dead) is quite easy to get out....the back panel comes off and there is a frame that sits just above the monitor that houses the sensor emitters. it slides out (has wood runners mounted on the sides)

the same with the monitor, it slides out on the similar wooden runners built into the sides. the monitor can be removed in about 30 seconds (including the time it takes to unhook the cables)

The monitor is mounted this way for the guns (camera style, not optical) to operate correctly....and to gain a sense of depth (monitor appears to be mounted flush with the back wall) without having a giant cabinet that sticks out 5 feet.

Nipedley, I'd replace the crummy mirror that shipped with the original cabinet with an actual piece of mirror it looks way better and is easily cleanable when it gets dusty.