Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroBlast Video Review: SlikStik Arcade Cabinet  (Read 21094 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re:RetroBlast Video Review: SlikStik Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2003, 07:47:51 am »
I always see people post about their lack of "woodworking skills".  You're not building a house to live in, you're building a cabinet.  Trust me, I had no woodworking skills to brag about when I started building systems and retrofitting cabinets.  But you know what, it's not difficult, especially if you're going to follow plans.  If you can follow directions, then you can follow plans to build a cab.

Yeah, I was just in a whining mood before, I realised a few problems with my design...I'm not following any plans  ::)

SlikStik-Christian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2004, 10:28:08 pm
  • Gaming will never be the same...
    • SlikStik Arcade Controllers
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2003, 09:03:10 am »
I've decided the price isn't fair.  I'm just commenting on a public product and a public review and offering my opinion.  

Another poster was correct, a *complete* mame cabinet (including monitor/TV, PC, controller, etc) could be purchased for $1300-$1500.  

Another person mentioned how much of a time saver it would be.  Not really.  There's still the PC to load and configure, a light fixture and marquee to add, sound system to install, monitor to install, wiring/connections, sideart, power strips, system power button, etc.  Anyone who's built or retrofitted and existing cabinet knows there much more to do after the cab is complete.

After all, it *IS* an arcade cab and has withstood player abuse, moving to and from arcades/auctions/warehouses, been converted, etc.

Just a shame with the adundance of original arcade cabs available so inexpensively, that someone would have to buy a piece of furniture instead of a real cabinet.  

Rick

Rick,

Being a handy cabinet builder and arcade enthusiast as I know you are, I just thought I would chime in seeing how you are really downplaying our new cab so much...

It was you who have already purchased 5 SlikStik Classic units already, wasn
Thank You

Christian
SlikStik Customer Support
http://www.slikstik.com
The Worlds Best Arcade Controllers

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2003, 09:50:56 am »
  Being a handy cabinet builder and arcade enthusiast as I know you are, I just thought I would chime in seeing how you are really downplaying our new cab so much...

It was you who have already purchased 5 SlikStik Classic units already, wasn

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2003, 10:04:03 am »
I have a full MAME system for sale right now for $1200.  Athlon 1ghz PC fully loaded with a Dreamcast + 20 games, MP3s, 800 music videos, PC games and MAME.  Uses a Sharp 27" TV (s-video to PC) as the monitor and includes a universal cable descrambler.  Watch cable TV, DVDs via the player in the PC, connect any console gaming systems, etc.  A 2 player X-Arcade is the control panel and also includes the Dreamcast connection cable, so the Dreamcast games can be played arcade style.  An RF wireless keyboard with thumb trackball is included for full PC use.  There is a storage area that the keyboard can be placed when not being used, and this is where the Dreamcast, USB hub and Quickcam are stored as well.

Shipping via Yellow Freight to Ohio would be in the ballpark of $300.

Let me know if you're interested and I can provide pics.  I'd rather not ship though because I prefer to setup & display the system to my customers, but I'll make an exception in your case since you know what you're doing.

Fresh out of my factory called "The Workshop".

Rick

if you can include everything and sell at $1200 and make a profit out of it.... plz post a few pics here and let us see what yours look like....
maybe you'll get a few orders !!!.... then we'll see if you can deliver as you said......

anyway... Another nice review.... Kevsteele.....
nice cab.... slikstick.....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

PileOfMonkeyCrap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2017, 01:01:46 pm
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2003, 05:56:49 pm »
I can keep the price down down low because I bought a large quantity of excellent Virtua Fighter cabs at a great price.  So, no need to build a cabinet since I'm using existing quality arcade cabs to start with.  These cabs are so roomy and can accomodate large monitors, large PCs, control panels, console systems, stereo and AV equipment, etc.  

Normally I don't sell the complete systems for $1200 though.  This is one that I built with a friend and I'm just looking to sell it to recoup my investment in all the parts.  I went 50/50 with the friend and he's not able to buy out my half, so I just want to sell it quickly and be done with it.  

Rick

I have a full MAME system for sale right now for $1200.  Athlon 1ghz PC fully loaded with a Dreamcast + 20 games, MP3s, 800 music videos, PC games and MAME.  Uses a Sharp 27" TV (s-video to PC) as the monitor and includes a universal cable descrambler.  Watch cable TV, DVDs via the player in the PC, connect any console gaming systems, etc.  A 2 player X-Arcade is the control panel and also includes the Dreamcast connection cable, so the Dreamcast games can be played arcade style.  An RF wireless keyboard with thumb trackball is included for full PC use.  There is a storage area that the keyboard can be placed when not being used, and this is where the Dreamcast, USB hub and Quickcam are stored as well.

Shipping via Yellow Freight to Ohio would be in the ballpark of $300.

Let me know if you're interested and I can provide pics.  I'd rather not ship though because I prefer to setup & display the system to my customers, but I'll make an exception in your case since you know what you're doing.

Fresh out of my factory called "The Workshop".

Rick

if you can include everything and sell at $1200 and make a profit out of it.... plz post a few pics here and let us see what yours look like....
maybe you'll get a few orders !!!.... then we'll see if you can deliver as you said......

anyway... Another nice review.... Kevsteele.....
nice cab.... slikstick.....

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2003, 10:21:20 am »
ok... let me try to understand this...

you're buying "USED" VF cabs... and go from there....
you bought a large qty of them.... (how many is large qty ?? 10 ?? 50 ?? 1000 ??)

you're not doing this as a living... nor doing this consistently... just doing this to recoup your investment and then you'll be gone.... (as you said... "want to sell it QUICKLY and BE DONE WITH IT."....)

and you said (..." NORMALLY don't sell at $1200"... (I think this means you "normally" would sell it at a HIGHER price....)

and also... I still did not see any pics yet for your cab.... (while I have seen a review on their cab.....)

---------------------------

This price is too high argument has been said and done before on other threads....

and I have no problem if you think slikstick's price is too high.... personally... I cannot afford it myself also....

(but to be honest... with the computer I bought... the woods.. tools... joystick parts.... 936485617 trips to HD for little parts... my cab's cost I think has already gone $1500+.... and still not done yet....)

BUT I want you to understand your comparsion is between  "apple to orange"....

they're selling BRAND NEW cab.... you're selling USED moded cab...

they're selling as a living... they have a company.. (up to my knowledge... a store front... show room.... etc etc...)
I don't think you have... (or plz correct me if I'm wrong....)

if someone bought from them and need support (extra parts / fixes...etc ) .... I think they'll be around longer while you just want to sell, finish, and done... (and from what I have heard so far... their customer service response is good...)

and you only have a limited qty of the same model (so, after certain sales... you'll need to get some other cabs that's available for cheap... might be different size/shape...) while they can mass produce according to their spec on EVERY one of them....

last but not least... as you mentioned... you would normally sell more than $1200.... (so... what is your normal price ?? 1500 ?? 1800 ??... or more ??)

------------------

Just want to be fair....
 ;) ;)
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

PileOfMonkeyCrap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2017, 01:01:46 pm
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2003, 09:43:53 pm »
The point is, if someone wants a mame cabinet, there are plenty of existing cabinets already out there that are in excellent condition.  Plenty of cabinets are sitting in warehouses, distributor's storage, arcade auctions, etc.  A person spending $1300 for a base cab just sounds ridiculous to me.

What I meant by normally I don't sell complete systems for $1200, was that this cabinet isn't my typical cabinet.  I normally don't use an X-Arcade for the controller and usually use a Slikstik or one of my own controllers.  Big difference in price between a SS and X-Arcade.  Now the Slikstik controller is certainly worth every penny.

Other differences with this cabinet is the sound system and a lower end PC (Athlon 1ghz) than I normally use.  This cab was being built for a friend, but he ran into money trouble and is unable to pay me back for the parts.  So I'm just looking for a quick sale to recoup my money and get paid for my time and effort put into it.  The only pics I currently have are constuction pics.  Next time I'm over his place I'll take pics of the completed cabinet.  

Rick

ok... let me try to understand this...

you're buying "USED" VF cabs... and go from there....
you bought a large qty of them.... (how many is large qty ?? 10 ?? 50 ?? 1000 ??)

you're not doing this as a living... nor doing this consistently... just doing this to recoup your investment and then you'll be gone.... (as you said... "want to sell it QUICKLY and BE DONE WITH IT."....)

and you said (..." NORMALLY don't sell at $1200"... (I think this means you "normally" would sell it at a HIGHER price....)

and also... I still did not see any pics yet for your cab.... (while I have seen a review on their cab.....)

---------------------------

This price is too high argument has been said and done before on other threads....

and I have no problem if you think slikstick's price is too high.... personally... I cannot afford it myself also....

(but to be honest... with the computer I bought... the woods.. tools... joystick parts.... 936485617 trips to HD for little parts... my cab's cost I think has already gone $1500+.... and still not done yet....)

BUT I want you to understand your comparsion is between  "apple to orange"....

they're selling BRAND NEW cab.... you're selling USED moded cab...

they're selling as a living... they have a company.. (up to my knowledge... a store front... show room.... etc etc...)
I don't think you have... (or plz correct me if I'm wrong....)

if someone bought from them and need support (extra parts / fixes...etc ) .... I think they'll be around longer while you just want to sell, finish, and done... (and from what I have heard so far... their customer service response is good...)

and you only have a limited qty of the same model (so, after certain sales... you'll need to get some other cabs that's available for cheap... might be different size/shape...) while they can mass produce according to their spec on EVERY one of them....

last but not least... as you mentioned... you would normally sell more than $1200.... (so... what is your normal price ?? 1500 ?? 1800 ??... or more ??)

------------------

Just want to be fair....
 ;) ;)