Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Disney Quest Orlando--worth it? [updated with review]  (Read 5913 times)

alfonzotan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
Disney Quest Orlando--worth it? [updated with review]
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
I have to go to Orlando for work next week.  I can't stand Orlando, and I'm very happy to say this is probably my last trip there, but I was wondering if I ought to take this last opportunity to check out the arcade at Disney Quest.  Anybody been there lately?  If so, what's the "classic" game count like?  Do they still have a working cockpit Star Wars?  I found a web page with a game list from around 2008, but for all I know it could be 100% wrong by now.  

Admission is $35 with a discounted ticket, but the games are free once you're in.

[UPDATE] So I went.  Review is down the thread...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:49:11 am by alfonzotan »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Disney Quest Orlando--worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:47 am »

I haven't been there in years so I can't help there.

I'm curious as to what you hate so much about Orlando?  I mean, I could see not loving it, but I can't see a whole lot to hate about the area.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »
Same as any arcade, has it's ups and downs.  I was there 2 years ago.  the third floor has approx 50 vid games/all the major classics. and plenty of redemption, DDR, guitar hero, etc.  the first floor has some of the long format adventure games which were fun to try. 

The classics mostly worked, didn't see a star wars then.  tron worked, discs of tron had control problems.  probably 1 out of 6 games had problems or was off.  they had about 15 dmd pins but I couldn't get into anything because I had my 5 yo literally trying to kill people with skee balls.  maybe 3 people were playing the 15 pins. If I could go without my kids for 2 hours I would pay the $35 just to play a few recent pins without being crowded.  With my kids it becomes dicey. 

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »

I haven't been there in years so I can't help there.

I'm curious as to what you hate so much about Orlando?  I mean, I could see not loving it, but I can't see a whole lot to hate about the area.

I really can't stand the place.  Starts with the airport, which is one of the worst I've ever been to for many reasons.  It's always full of small children, old people, foreigners (not any of which I have a problem with in general, but put them all together and you have a whole lot of people who don't know how to act in an airport), and TSA there is among the worst of the worst (gee, if only there were some organization in the area that knew a lot about how to move people through lines efficiently--oh, right).  Plus the Billy Mitchell "arcade" is the size of a broom closet, with no old games.  But there is free Wifi, so there's that.

Once you escape MCO, it's off to the s-l-o-w races.  Horrible traffic, bad drivers, and so many tollbooths I always feel like I ought to turn around and go get a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- load of dimes.  Orlando is really like living in a mall... and I hate malls.  Every store and restaurant is a chain.  The whole place feels artificial and annoying to me.  Plus the weather, which alternates between hot and ---smurfy--- and heavy thunderstorms.

Let's just say I'm not a fan.  But for those who like it there, hey, to each their own...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:21:52 pm by alfonzotan »

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
Review
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:03 am »
Hmm, well.  It seemed like a good idea at the time...

:applaud: The Good: I arrived just in time (7PM on a Wednesday) to get the half-price "Manager's Special" admission ($23).  Apparently this is quite common on weekdays, but it's not a every-day thing.  There's always a chance the place will be full enough to where they don't have the evening sale.

The game selection was really quite good by today's standards.  There were around 40-50 (this is just an off-the-cuff estimate, I didn't actually count) classic-era games.  Pacs -Man, Ms. and Super were all present, along with Frogger, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Missile Command (a great cabaret), BurgerTime, Tron, Discs of Tron, Arkanoid, Moon Patrol, Jungle Hunt, Centipede, Millipede, Donkey Kong (and Jr. and Mario Bros, and I think a combo unit that included DK3), Dig Dug, Kangaroo, Spy Hunter (!), Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders/Qix (combo cab), several mulitcades (I didn't play any of them), Make Trax, and many more.  I'll post some pictures later.

As far as newer games, there's a Star Wars Trilogy Arcade squirreled away in a corner of the top floor.  All games are set on free play, and that one in particular is pretty awesome with unlimited lives (I did give the game up as soon as another older guy started hanging around).  There's a HUGE Pac-Man Battle Royale pedestal (as well as a couple of tabletop versions), which is a blast to play with 4 people.  I also played Star Wars Racer for the first (and likely last) time.  I didn't really mess with any other "current" games other than Sea Wolf, and in that case, I think I prefer the old version with the periscope.  There are a TON of newer games, though, if you're into that sort of thing.

The pinball area was relatively limited, all new games (Tron Legacy is really fun) plus a couple of digital pinball cabs, which are neat in a "this would do if real pinball were banned" sort of way.  

:badmood: The Bad:  Of the classic games, I'd guess less less than ten are in good working order.  Almost all of the monitors need to be capped.  Moon Patrol, Arkanoid, Centipede, Millipede, Super Pac-Man, Kangaroo, Missile Command, Space Invaders/Qix and Burger Time were about the only games I saw with bright, clean, correct-colors screens (the Ms Pac/Galaga combos may have had good screens, but I didn't play any of them).  Virtually every other game had video issues, ranging from discoloration to static to burn-in to... well, you name it, really.  There were also many games with odd breakdowns.  For instance, the Tron on the third floor had no music (although it did have sound effects).  Sound effects in Asteroids Deluxe were distorted (I'll post a video later).  Asteroids had a terrible monitor, you have to lean in to the nose-on-the-glass point to see anything other than your ship or your bullets (which, to be fair, look as awesome as only Asteroids bullets on a vector monitor can).  But that wasn't the worst of it.

:banghead: The Ugly:  So many broken controls.  So.  Many.  Broken.  Controls. I mean, the vast majority of the games have broken controls.  Some examples:

Discs of Tron: spinner only works in one direction (it spins in the other, but the cursor doesn't move).  Thumb button doesn't work.
Tron: Two cabinets, both have replacement joysticks without the diamond restrictor, so light cycles is unplayable.  And this is a Disney "signature" franchise that they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars to resurrect?  One Tron also had "strobing" video, and no marquee or control panel lighting.
Spy Hunter: Shifter doesn't work for "high" speed, making the game unplayable (gaaaaah).
Robotron: "fire" joystick doesn't work in all directions.
Galaga and Galaxian (separate cabs):  Joystick sticks.
Karate Champ: right joystick non-functional.
Missile Command:  this one killed me.  Beautiful Atari "bowling ball" trackball, which moves effortlessly and perfectly controls the cursor.  But the fire buttons don't work.
Even one of the Pac-Man Battle Royale tabletops had a missing balltop--for the yellow Pac-Man.

I could go on, but the point is, most of these games just flat don't work.  Moon Patrol stands out as a counter-example:  it looks and works great.  So does Kangaroo (presumably because nobody plays that crappy game, so it doesn't get worn out).  But finding a working machine beyond those is tough sledding.

It's really dispiriting.  I could understand a struggling mom-and-pop arcade out in the boonies having old, broken games and lacking the wherewithal to fix them.  But this is freaking Disney World, and a building that's specifically intended to house arcade games!  Yeah, I get it--because of the free play settings these games get the crap pounded out of them, but come on!  It's just not THAT hard to repair an arcade game!  Thousands (well, hundreds, anyway) of schlubs like us do it all the time, for free!  And it's not like it costs a fortune to put in a cap kit or replace a joystick and/or pushbuttons--which is all most of these games really need.

:angry:

Hey, Disney--you've got people who can do this.  Have them do it!  What you're doing now is ripping off folks who are paying to "play" broken games.  That's a disservice to both your customers and to the games themselves.  Either put out games that actually work, and keep them in repair, or don't put them out at all!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:02:17 am by alfonzotan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: Disney Quest Orlando--worth it? [updated with review]
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:18 am »
Thanks for the update - it should be classic arcade wonderland but it sounds like the same machines are 2 years older and worse off than when I was there.  I probably won't end up there again unless it happens like last time- with tickets rolled into a park ticket package. 

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
Pics
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »

vidmouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2021, 10:13:41 am
  • Oop! Ack! Thppphbt!
    • Vidmouse's Arcade
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
Nice collection of pins there...
I think for $23 it'd be worth it to check it out,
those issues are bad but at least they had the
games.  I wouldn't expect all of them to be working.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:29:55 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »
next time walk in with a toolbox and ask to be let in for free if you fix a few of them.  :cheers:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
Oh well, maybe they will have had some repairs done before I go in September :)  I can only agree with the review, its a nice selection of games, but just so many problems. As it's the first time my Bro will have been to the States I imagine he will end up spending quite a few evenings in there :) (Unlimited access with the park tickets we purchased).

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
Re: Review
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:40 am »

Even one of the Pac-Man Battle Royale tabletops had a missing balltop--for the yellow Pac-Man.

Yeah, sorry about that  ;)

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
Re: Review
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:42:30 am »

Yeah, sorry about that  ;)

I KNEW IT!  :o