Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A question about using a PC for my MAME cabinet  (Read 16970 times)

ArcadeSeeker962

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2012, 09:58:05 am
  • Yes, a fighting snow man does exist!
A question about using a PC for my MAME cabinet
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:03:12 pm »
Me and my father are deciding on which type of PC to use for our MAME cabinet. We're deciding between buying a basic computer and install a more powerful graphic card inside of it, or buy a gaming PC. Why I'm choosing from these two options is because of the fact that I'm interested in including more newer games into my MAME cabinet(such as Soul Calibur III). So, which type of PC do you recommend I purchase?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Re: A question about using a PC for my MAME cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:56 pm »
Unless they've changed the way MAME works (which is entirely possible since I've been out of the scene for a while), it's all about the processor. A multi-core processor isn't as important as individual core speed so (theortically) a dual core with high top speed could be more effective than a quad core with lower top speed. And the graphics card is more of an afterthought. Unless MAME is leveraging graphics cards now, all the video processing is handled on the CPU. For larger games, it probably doesn't hurt to have some decent RAM, but I'm not sure more than 4GB will be particularly useful. Since most MAME machines are dedicated for arcade games, and you can only play one game at a time, you probably don't need butt loads of RAM.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:09:42 pm by AlanS17 »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
What's the difference between a dual core PC and a quad core PC? I'm sorry, I'm a little confused, because I don't know all of the technical terms for computers.  ??? I do know a bit about computers, just not all of the technical terms.

postmortem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 10:58:40 am
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »
the main processor (which determins the bulk of the speed in mame) can have multiple cores. the more cores you have, the more things the processor can do at a time. Having 2 cores is essentially like having 2 processors. quad core (4 cores) is nice for multitasking, but im not sure its necessary for mame. hope this helps
Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders, Pit Fighter, Wargods.
Pins: Bride of PinBot, Attack from Mars, The Shadow

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
Thank you for helping me figure out what those terms mean. I'm going to look for a PC with a dual core processor with no more than 4GB RAM(like what Alan said). That's what me and my father decided on for the MAME cabinet.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »
Well I don't think you want less than 4GB, either. I think that's your sweet spot. And make sure that the processor has high MHz.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:04:39 pm by AlanS17 »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »
No worries, that's what I meant by "no more than 4GB". How much MHZ is recommended for my type of MAME cabinet?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:59:50 pm »
Oh gosh... I really think we need to draw more opinions into this thread to answer that question. MAME has grown since I last installed it so it can handle much newer, more complicated games now. :-/ When in doubt, though, just try to maximize it. A good example would be a high end Intel Core i5. Unless someone disagrees, the Core i7 series may be overkill and the Pentium series may not be beefy enough.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:13:59 pm by AlanS17 »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
Okay, thank you for the advice. I'll take a look at the Intel Core i5. I'm also going to check and see what Dell has available, since our family are into Dell PC's(except for my sister, she prefers Mac's).

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »
You may even want to check out the Intel Core i3's. It depends heavily on what games you intend to play. And like I said, I don't have a very good CURRENT gauge for max requirements so a second opinion would be recommended.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:25:44 pm by AlanS17 »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »
You may even want to check out the Intel Core i3's. It depends heavily on what games you intend to play. And like I said, I don't have a very good CURRENT gauge for max requirements.

No worries, I'll look into it. I'll check for different current MAME requirements(depending on what version I choose).

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get away with the i3, just get the fastest one you can afford, pretty much anything above 2.5GHz should be fine. Try to get a dual core (do they even make single cores anymore?).

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:27 am »
Okay, thank you for letting me know about the processor, and I'll buy a dual core PC. I don't think they make single core processors anymore.  For the 4GB, I noticed that there's no PC's available with 4GB built right in. So will I have to install a certain type of 4GB card into the PC I buy(along with the processor)?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:08:47 am »
For the 4GB, I noticed that there's no PC's available with 4GB built right in. So will I have to install a certain type of 4GB card into the PC I buy(along with the processor)?

4GB is a common entry-level amount of RAM. Are you sure you're looking at the right specs?

Ravenger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:20 am
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:14:56 am »
To be honest an older second hand PC will do just as well as a new one. You can often pick them up for next to nothing.

I used an AMD 64 4800+ dual core PC for my mame build, it was an old PC I had hanging around from several upgrades ago, but with a replacement second hand dual-core processor to make it a little faster, and to spread the OS CPU load a bit.

It runs everything at full speed, except for those few games which don't run at full speed even on more modern processors (I've tried problematic games running on my i5 760 and they run at exactly the same speed as my Mame PC).

Though Mame mainly utilises the processor for emulation, the new HLSL CRT emulation effects for LCD screen need a reasonably capable graphics card to run well, but even then that doesn't need to be a top-end card. An old Nvidia 8800GT is more than capable. It's unlikely that on-board video would be fast-enough for HLSL, but should be fine for standard output to an LCD or CRT.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:41:08 am »
I'm probably throwing way too much at you since you're just getting into this, but for the benefit of other people reading this thread and keeping your expectations in check, here are my thoughts.

I'm interested in including more newer games into my MAME cabinet(such as Soul Calibur III). So, which type of PC do you recommend I purchase?

The only emulator that supports Soul Calibur III is PCSX2 (Playstation 2 emulator).
To run that game on that emulator, you'd need an expensive bleeding edge top of the line gaming PC.
You'd be better off putting a real playstation 2 in the cab if that game is important to you.

Most people only play classic 80's games and 2D fighters from the 90's on their cabs, so that's what the specs mentioned so far are good for.
But they aren't going to cut it when it comes to running 3D games and emulators for newer arcade games.
If you want to play the newest games that are emulated, you'll have to use emulators other than MAME. (Demul, Supermodel, Dolphin, etc)

On processor speed (most important spec):
Tekken 3 in MAME for an example:
When I had a 2.8Ghz Athlon X2, even with a lot of tweaking I still had some sound skips.
With a 3.2Ghz Athlon X2, the sound skips went away but there are still other 3D games like Time Crisis that it struggles with.
For emulators that run newer games that MAME can't, this is pretty much a bare minimum.
The current best option seems to be the Intel i5 2600k, but it ain't cheap.
It's a huge overkill for most of what people play in MAME, but you said you wanted to play newer games.

On # of cores:
On my driving cab, moving to a triple core processor made a bigger difference than I was expecting.  Last time I checked, MAME only utilizes 2 cores (this will change someday), but the extra cores help out with all the windows stuff running in the background.  Other emulators will utilize the extra cores.

On the Video card:
A basic video card will work fine for MAME.  Other emulators that run newer 3D games (Demul, Supermodel, Dolphin) heavily utilize the video card.  I'm too far behind on the current crop of cards to recommend one.  The newest version of Demul is useless without Directx11, so make sure you get a Directx11 card if playing the newest games possible is important to you.  There was an arcade system called Taito Type X which was just a regular windows pc in a cab.  These games have been cracked and will run on a regular PC (no emulator required), but people have reported problems getting them to work with ATI video cards.

These other emulators aren't anywhere near as easy to set up and use as MAME.  You may just want to accept that your cabinet will be limited to 80's & 90's games, but the computer will cost a LOT less and be a LOT easier to set up.  It can be a case of diminishing returns where you are spending  a fortune and spending a lot more time just to get two or three more games playable.

If you buy an older used computer, try to get one with a 64bit operating system as that results in a pretty big speed boost for MAME.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:13:34 am by BadMouth »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:34 am »
Fwiw,  the speed bump between the i5 2500K and i5 2600K doesn't warrant the extra cost. The i5 2500K could be a sweet spot on the high end.

Choosing a specific processor probably only matters if you're building your own computer, though. Otherwise, you're better off choosing a processor class and maximizing within that class while accounting for cost. Really not as complicated ad I make it sound.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:25:07 am by AlanS17 »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »
I'm probably throwing way too much at you since you're just getting into this, but for the benefit of other people reading this thread and keeping your expectations in check, here are my thoughts.

I'm interested in including more newer games into my MAME cabinet(such as Soul Calibur III). So, which type of PC do you recommend I purchase?

The only emulator that supports Soul Calibur III is PCSX2 (Playstation 2 emulator).
To run that game on that emulator, you'd need an expensive bleeding edge top of the line gaming PC.
You'd be better off putting a real playstation 2 in the cab if that game is important to you.

Most people only play classic 80's games and 2D fighters from the 90's on their cabs, so that's what the specs mentioned so far are good for.

These other emulators aren't anywhere near as easy to set up and use as MAME.  You may just want to accept that your cabinet will be limited to 80's & 90's games, but the computer will cost a LOT less and be a LOT easier to set up.  It can be a case of diminishing returns where you are spending  a fortune and spending a lot more time just to get two or three more games playable.

I actually already own a real Playstation 2, and Soul Calibur III for my Playstation 2(thinking that it would have similar features to the arcade version). It's just that I prefer the arcade version more than the Playstation 2 version(because I played the arcade version of Soul Calibur III in an arcade at a movie theater awhile back), but that's alright if Soul Calibur III hasn't been emulated for MAME(I can do without it). I can also accept that only 80's and 90's will be in my Cabinet(since I appreciate both era's of arcade games). You're not putting too much information towards me, I understood everything just fine. Thank you for your advice.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
Re: Re: A question about using a PC for my MAME cabinet
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
I am starting to think this thread is about gaming PC and not mame...  for most games, a Pentium 4 will do perfectly.  To get the more CPU demanding one move up to the core 2.  Most name games don't require much to run.   

Actually it require more to run front end like hyper spin, than most games.  My updated mame runs a core 2 e6300 (newer edition) with a radeon 4550.  The radeon is mainly for windows, hyperspin and sfiv ae.  This pretty much runs most mame games at full speed.  My other machine are still at pentium 4 3ghz and athlon xp 1800.  And they do also work perfectly for the games i run on them. 

Hope this helps...

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I know my family is biased towards Dell, but I'll talk to my father about buying the Pentium 4, along with the Pentium i3 processor(unless if that's already built into the Pentium 4).

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »
The reason I didnt even recommend something like a Pentium 4 is that unless you have one laying around (like I do) you are gonna be hard pressed to find for as cheap as you could get a current processor, it just makes no sense when you are buying new.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2024, 06:16:24 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
Even though a Pentium 4 works it's not very pleasant experience.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 03:39:51 pm »
Okay, well in that case, I'll go for a Dell and install a Pentium i3 processor. Is that possible?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »
Okay, well in that case, I'll go for a Dell and install a Pentium i3 processor. Is that possible?

You're probably better off just buying it the way you want.

Check out the refurb inventory at dell:
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2202&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

One of the Inspiron 570's for $270 would be enough if you just plan to run MAME and play the 80's and 90's game.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&puid=5f0753d2
The warranty on the refurbs is 1yr.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »
Okay, thank you. I'll just go for a Dell computer, since that's what my father said we'll use for the MAME cabinet.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 12:47:35 am »
Just to clarify it's i5 2500k and i7 2600k the 2600k is not an i5. So i3 is dual core i5 2500k is around $100 less then i7 2600k which are both quad core probably the best bang for the buck now adays is the i5 2500k. I currently run my system with an i5 2500k with no overclocking which it is capable of doing no problem over 4ghz Nice for the future!!! I have no problems running 50 different emulators with hyperspin!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 01:05:49 am »
Just to clarify it's i5 2500k and i7 2600k the 2600k is not an i5. So i3 is dual core i5 2500k is around $100 less then i7 2600k which are both quad core probably the best bang for the buck now adays is the i5 2500k. I currently run my system with an i5 2500k with no overclocking which it is capable of doing no problem over 4ghz Nice for the future!!! I have no problems running 50 different emulators with hyperspin!

That's right. I also use the i5 2500K, but for something else. I'm very satisfied with it.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:35 am »
Everyone is pushing intels processors. 
Why not use an AMD fx4170?
I dont have any experience with it yet, but I figure the 4.2 ghz clock speed has got to perfect for most anything mame could throw at it.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:53:29 am »
I dont have any experience with it yet, but I figure the 4.2 ghz clock speed has got to perfect for most anything mame could throw at it.

I never heard of that PC before, but it sounds good. Thank you for the recommendation.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »

AMD, in my opinion are for people in the know :P I personally use AMD processors in my computers, but Intel is what everyone knows, so it's just easier to recommend that. My gaming pc has a AMD phenom X4 945 at 3.5GHZ. Yeah, see how that can be a bit more confusing than just saying i3?

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »

AMD, in my opinion are for people in the know :P I personally use AMD processors in my computers, but Intel is what everyone knows, so it's just easier to recommend that. My gaming pc has a AMD phenom X4 945 at 3.5GHZ. Yeah, see how that can be a bit more confusing than just saying i3?

It sounds more confusing. My PC skills are about average, so I don't think an AMD processor would work for me. So I'll see about a PC with an Intel i3 processor for my MAME cabinet,and I'll talk to my father about it as well. 

postmortem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 10:58:40 am
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »

It sounds more confusing. My PC skills are about average, so I don't think an AMD processor would work for me. So I'll see about a PC with an Intel i3 processor for my MAME cabinet,and I'll talk to my father about it as well. 

using computers with AMD processors isnt any different than an intel processor. The only confusing thing is how they name and rate their processors.
Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders, Pit Fighter, Wargods.
Pins: Bride of PinBot, Attack from Mars, The Shadow

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »
Okay, that makes more sense. Thank you for sorting that out for me.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »

using computers with AMD processors isnt any different than an intel processor. The only confusing thing is how they name and rate their processors.

That's kinda what I was getting at, the naming conventions will throw you for a loop if you aren't on top of your game.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »
I'm going to preface this post by saying it's not a recommendation. It's just an observation.

I only have one arcade cabinet anymore, and it runs just classic games. Since the overhead is so minimal, I use a 1Ghz VIA processor with an x86 instruction set running DOS. The chip is built right into the board, and it gives off very little heat. It's perfect for what it does.

Now, going back to Intel vs AMD... Back in the day (when I was still building), AMD could generally match Intel on horsepower, but they would definitely get hotter. That can be a small issue in a PC, but turn into a major issue in an arcade machine if you don't account for it. If you account for it, though, it's not that big of a deal. And if AMD has gotten over the heat hurdle, then it's a moot point.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »
Intel :notworthy: Proven  BMW vs Chevy :lol

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:55 am »
I think I'll just buy a Dell(kind of like what BadMouth said, but I'll be buying a brand new one that fits my needs for the arcade cabinet). Thank you for all of your advice though.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
This is the machine I use as a template when for all arcade machines I make.  Plays everything I've come across with no issues and cheap/affordable.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »
Whats the case for? cheap PSU? :-\

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:30 pm »

What's a PSU? I apologize, I just don't know all of the technical terms.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:06 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 04:06:03 pm »
Power Supply Unit.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »
Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:06 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »
No problem.

I'm actually going to be building a JAMMA power supply distribution station this week. Why? For fun.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »

It came as part of the package and I prefer the computer mobile in my cabs.  I like the ability to remove all components when moving, which my cabs seem to get moved a lot.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:01 pm »
PSU = power supply unit. It's what converts the electricty from the wall into something that the computer can use.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:40 pm »
PSU = power supply unit. It's what converts the electricty from the wall into something that the computer can use.

Okay, thank you for the explanation.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »
Before I upgraded my pc I was running a 3.0ghz Pentium D (Dual Core) with 2 gigs of ram running a 9500 gt video card. I would run things for the most part but there was lag and shutter. So a few months back I upgraded the cpu to a intel core 2 duo e8400 wolfdale 3.0ghz. I got this one because I read that it was good for overclocking. I did notice a big difference. So this past weekend, I dropped just over 300.00 and upgraded ed my ps and video card. I bought a corsair 700 watt ps and a nvidia geforce 550 ti. All I know is, my pc kicks ass! It runs this now that it would not before and Im still not done upgrading. It has a 775 socket so I can still upgrade to the Intel Core 2 Extreme. It also has sli to run 2 video cards. All I know is, I wouldn't be happy buying a off the shelf pc when you are limited to upgrading them. Just my .2 cents

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2016, 09:36:16 pm
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
also remember when considering the amount of ram your putting into the machine that if your using XP as the operating system that it will only read 3.2gigs as a max.  No need to waste money on buying more then it will support.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »
Sorry I'm late to the party here, but I'll try to help.

All your talk about getting into a 'Dell' or 'core i3' tells me you might be shopping out for a new desktop PC for this? Don't! You'll spend a ton of money on something you don't really need.

Aside from the aforementioned Soul Calibur III, which we've already discussed may not be playable in anything other than a playstation, what other games are you trying to play?

Let me steer you towards something with an intel e8400 or e8500 in it. You'll get really good bang for your buck if you get into one of those Core 2 Duo's and overclock it to 4.0ghz.

If you  don't want to roll your own on the overclocking thing, then fine. Spend 3x more money, and buy into a core i5 2500k or core i7 2600k. Just be sure you get the 'k' versions of the processors, because once you get a taste of a fast processor, you'll want to make it go faster....faster.....faster.... :D

Tell us what games you want to play, and I'll build a rig for ya ;)

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »

All your talk about getting into a 'Dell' or 'core i3' tells me you might be shopping out for a new desktop PC for this? Don't! You'll spend a ton of money on something you don't really need.

Aside from the aforementioned Soul Calibur III, which we've already discussed may not be playable in anything other than a playstation, what other games are you trying to play?

Let me steer you towards something with an intel e8400 or e8500 in it. You'll get really good bang for your buck if you get into one of those Core 2 Duo's and overclock it to 4.0ghz.

If you  don't want to roll your own on the overclocking thing, then fine. Spend 3x more money, and buy into a core i5 2500k or core i7 2600k. Just be sure you get the 'k' versions of the processors, because once you get a taste of a fast processor, you'll want to make it go faster....faster.....faster.... :D

I'm back, I just needed some time to study the Project Arcade Book Version 2, but I understand how this all works more now. Thank you for the advice. I don't know how to overclock Core 2 Duo, but thank you for the advice though. For the games I'll be playing, here's the list:

Centipede
Crazy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dragon Buster
Frogger
Galaga
Galaxian
Gaplus
Gyruss
Jump Bug
Millipede
Ms. Pac-Man
Pacman
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Breakout
Scramble
The Glob
Time Pilot
Xevious

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »
Pretty much any computer made in the past 8 years will handle that workload. Seriously.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »
Pretty much any computer made in the past 8 years will handle that workload. Seriously.

Thank you for the help. My father was originally planning on looking for an older PC to use for the MAME cabinet anyway, so I change my mind. Thank you all for your help, now that I have made my decision.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:02 pm »
Since it looks like you'll be getting a tower and putting it into the cabinet once you build it.  Remember you need good airflow or pc temps will rise and parts could overheat or just shorten the lifespan.

Just as an example, when I built my home theater pc and put it into my tv stand(which is open in the front and closed in the back, I saw temps steadily rise and not even under any load.  So just something to remember in building the cabinet.  Browse around the project threads and you'll see how everyone else vents theirs.  When using a pc case, you'll want to line up the intake fans near a vent, so it gets fresh air.  And in theory some exhaust vents higher up, since hot air rises.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 01:58:21 am
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 04:30:50 pm »

I'm back, I just needed some time to study the Project Arcade Book Version 2, but I understand how this all works more now. Thank you for the advice. I don't know how to overclock Core 2 Duo, but thank you for the advice though. For the games I'll be playing, here's the list:

Centipede
Crazy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dragon Buster
Frogger
Galaga
Galaxian
Gaplus
Gyruss
Jump Bug
Millipede
Ms. Pac-Man
Pacman
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Breakout
Scramble
The Glob
Time Pilot
Xevious

I run those with no problem on a Pentium III 800MHz machine.  Free on CL or maybe $25.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »
Since it looks like you'll be getting a tower and putting it into the cabinet once you build it.  Remember you need good airflow or pc temps will rise and parts could overheat or just shorten the lifespan.

Just as an example, when I built my home theater pc and put it into my tv stand(which is open in the front and closed in the back, I saw temps steadily rise and not even under any load.  So just something to remember in building the cabinet.  Browse around the project threads and you'll see how everyone else vents theirs.  When using a pc case, you'll want to line up the intake fans near a vent, so it gets fresh air.  And in theory some exhaust vents higher up, since hot air rises.

Is tower another term for an older PC? Thank you your advice, I'll check out the project announcement threads and look at how other people cooled off their PC's.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »
'Tower' just signifies the case that the PC comes in. Most times people refer to 'tower' to include the entire desktop PC case and all the components inside it.

It does not signify age.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »
'Tower' just signifies the case that the PC comes in. Most times people refer to 'tower' to include the entire desktop PC case and all the components inside it.

It does not signify age.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me.

I run those with no problem on a Pentium III 800MHz machine.  Free on CL or maybe $25.

Thank you for recommending a good PC. I've been putting together all the advice from all the threads I have made, so that I can finalize my plans. Then, me and my father are going to sit down and discuss the advice that has been given to me to finalize the plans. When I'll be buying the used PC is unknown, but I'm guessing it'll be in the winter time, because the process to the assembly of my cabinet will be a step-by-step project.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »
Yes, get the cab done first. Do NOT drop the PC in until the very last moment.

If you dont wait and make it playable too early, you will never finish it.

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2014, 07:41:56 am
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

This is excellent advice

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

This is excellent advice

I agree as well. I'll keep updating my thread and reading Project Arcade Version 2 as well, to make sure I have all the information I need to build the cabinet. After the cabinet will come the assembly of the control panel, and then the old PC will be the last step.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 05:47:42 pm »
Yeah, those games will play on anything. The machines I built nearly 10 years ago could play those games without a hiccup.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
That's neat that emulation has come that far(and even further!) to make playing arcade games playable on older computers. I remember the first computer our family owned. It was a Compaq, and it looked so much older than the computer I'm using today. The family computer I'm currently using is has Dell Hardrive with a Sceptre computer monitor. The combination works well, but I'll make sure that I buy a used Intel Computer for my my MAME Cabinet. Thank you all very much for steering me in the right direction.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2024, 02:32:45 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:01 am »
I don't think anyone mentioned this in the thread so far, but current versions of MAME are quite a bit faster on Intel processors than AMD processors.  I'm not sure why, but it's just the way it is.  Maybe the compiler just generates code that's better optimized for the Intel architecture.  Who knows.

You'll also want to run a 64-bit operating system for additional performance in MAME.  Up to 30% more in certain games.  This means that if you're using windows, you'll want to run Windows XP 64-bit edition, Windows Vista 64-bit edition, or Windows 7 64-bit edition.  XP 64-bit edition is hard to find, so you'll most likely want to go with Windows 7 64-bit edition.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:50 am »
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to sort out all of this information with my father(along with everything else from other threads I created), so that way I can finalize my plans.

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:51 am »
I don't think anyone mentioned this in the thread so far, but current versions of MAME are quite a bit faster on Intel processors than AMD processors.  I'm not sure why, but it's just the way it is.  Maybe the compiler just generates code that's better optimized for the Intel architecture.  Who knows.

You'll also want to run a 64-bit operating system for additional performance in MAME.  Up to 30% more in certain games.  This means that if you're using windows, you'll want to run Windows XP 64-bit edition, Windows Vista 64-bit edition, or Windows 7 64-bit edition.  XP 64-bit edition is hard to find, so you'll most likely want to go with Windows 7 64-bit edition.

Wow I never knew this

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 09:04:49 am »
i would be leary about going on CL for getting a computer especially an old pentium 3.  First off you dont know how people have treated the computer and how many viruses have been on that computer causing issues with ram and the hard drive.  Even if you format the drive it could still run like garbage.  I would go to a computer store and look at referbished machines there.  You can find a single core pentium 4 for pretty cheap at most mom and pop computer stores that will run much better then something found on CL.  Not saying that everything on CL is junk but you will have better luck with a computer store.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:32 am »
i would be leary about going on CL for getting a computer especially an old pentium 3.  First off you dont know how people have treated the computer and how many viruses have been on that computer causing issues with ram and the hard drive.  Even if you format the drive it could still run like garbage.  I would go to a computer store and look at referbished machines there.  You can find a single core pentium 4 for pretty cheap at most mom and pop computer stores that will run much better then something found on CL.  Not saying that everything on CL is junk but you will have better luck with a computer store.

Hah..I'd buy a Pentium III machine off CL any day of the week. If there's one actually still RUNNING out there, you know it's bulletproof. It'll outlast today's crap when that dies.

Seriously, though, if you're going to go to a store and buy a PC used, you're gonna get raped. Please just let me give you a computer. I have like a dozen of them sitting in my garage - pay shipping and it's yours.

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
running and running well are two different things.

I didnt know mame ran better on windows xp 64 bit though.  I may have to give that a try.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:35:39 am by not_so_handy »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:38 am »
i would be leary about going on CL for getting a computer especially an old pentium 3.  First off you dont know how people have treated the computer and how many viruses have been on that computer causing issues with ram and the hard drive.  Even if you format the drive it could still run like garbage.  I would go to a computer store and look at referbished machines there.  You can find a single core pentium 4 for pretty cheap at most mom and pop computer stores that will run much better then something found on CL.  Not saying that everything on CL is junk but you will have better luck with a computer store.

Thank you for the advice. It's still unknown at this point whether I'll buy a PC online or from a local store, so I haven't made a decision yet. Plus, I'll be using a front end with my MAME software, so I want to make sure that everything works together. Also, since krick said that running Windows 7 is a good choice for MAME, I want to make sure everything's compatible with a used Pentium PC.

Hah..I'd buy a Pentium III machine off CL any day of the week. If there's one actually still RUNNING out there, you know it's bulletproof. It'll outlast today's crap when that dies.

Seriously, though, if you're going to go to a store and buy a PC used, you're gonna get raped. Please just let me give you a computer. I have like a dozen of them sitting in my garage - pay shipping and it's yours.

It's okay, I can look for whatever you all recommend online, thank you for the offer though. Does CL stand for "Craig's List"? If so, I heard that there's a lot of scams that happen on there. Due to the fact that I'm getting mixed opinions, would ebay or amazon be a better website to buy a used Pentium PC from? I'm sorry, I'm just getting confused.  ???

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:23:05 am by ArcadeSeeker962 »

GregD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
I wouldn't try to run Windows 7 on a Pentium 3 pc.  I also wouldn't bother with a Pentium 3 pc.  The advice given was to say that most of MAME will run on a Pentium 3 processor.  I don't think anyone is recommending that you use one.  Pentium 4 pcs and Core 2 Duo are out there for very short money.  If I was buying a pc I would make sure it is a dual core processor.  The PC will also determine which front end you can use.  Don't try to run Hyperspin on a pc that isn't dual core. 

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:20 am »
Greg, based on what I've read here the OP isn't too tech savvy, so we all need to scale down our nomenclature a bit.

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2012, 11:51:24 am »
Which of the 64bit operating systems would be the prefered one of choice for Mame 143?

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:42 pm »
I wouldn't try to run Windows 7 on a Pentium 3 pc.  I also wouldn't bother with a Pentium 3 pc.  The advice given was to say that most of MAME will run on a Pentium 3 processor.  I don't think anyone is recommending that you use one.  Pentium 4 pcs and Core 2 Duo are out there for very short money.  If I was buying a pc I would make sure it is a dual core processor.  The PC will also determine which front end you can use.  Don't try to run Hyperspin on a pc that isn't dual core. 

Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look at the Pentium 4 PCs and Core 2 Duo.

Greg, based on what I've read here the OP isn't too tech savvy, so we all need to scale down our nomenclature a bit.

What's an OP? I never heard of that acronym before...

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »
Since Dell PC's aren't recommended, I chose a Compaq PC. Is this a good choice?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-D530-Desktop-Computer/dp/B00367I4R0/ref=sr_1_124?ie=UTF8&qid=1336160578&sr=8-124

It was hard to find one on Amazon, so here was what I found. If any one recommends going on the HP website for a refurbished PC, please let me know.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:48:23 pm by ArcadeSeeker962 »

kingjorf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2014, 01:46:32 pm
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2012, 04:13:40 pm »
Quote from: ArcadeSeeker962
What's an OP? I never heard of that acronym before...

OP just means Original Poster (in this case, you)

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
OP just means Original Poster (in this case, you)

Okay, that's what I thought it meant. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »
That looks to be fine for what you're looking to run on it.  I would do a quick check against that model number on google and see if any recalls have been placed against it or if any capacitors/transistors have blown out on it.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »
That looks to be fine for what you're looking to run on it.  I would do a quick check against that model number on google and see if any recalls have been placed against it or if any capacitors/transistors have blown out on it.

Glad that I picked the right one.  ;) Anyhow, thank you for the advice, and I'll look for recalls and any capacitors or transistors have blown out on it.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
I took some more research, and I found a search result on Google that listed that the PC I chose is known for Capacitor problems, so that won't be my choice. However, I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-dc5700-Factor-Desktop/dp/B004GVSRHC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336172075&sr=8-7

I did some research, and it looks like a good choice. What do you think? I'll also be playing Q*Bert and Space Invaders on it as well.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »
Small form factor is not as good if you want to install an ATI video card and run soft15khz on an arcade monitor.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06:28 am »
Small form factor is not as good if you want to install an ATI video card and run soft15khz on an arcade monitor.

Thank you for the warning. I'm actually planning on using a LCD PC monitor for my MAME cabinet. Would that be compatible with the Compaq DC5000? Also, was this the type of video card you mentioned, because I'm not familiar with the term "Mhz".

http://www.amazon.com/Force3D-radeon-graphics-express-windows/dp/tech-data/B006OS6UAG/ref=de_a_smtd
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:45:29 am by ArcadeSeeker962 »