Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crt Emudriver Crashing when playing youtube (Flash) videos  (Read 5160 times)

69mustang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2015, 12:31:40 am
Crt Emudriver Crashing when playing youtube (Flash) videos
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:32 am »
I currently have only one PC to use and I am using a Biostar Radeon 4670 on WinXP 32bit and installed the crt_emudriver_9.3_1.2a_xp32_multisync version. I have 1 output hooked up to my VGA monitor and the other output to a TV via component using an RGB to component converter (Kramer FC-14).

GroovyMAME works and looks beautiful on my TV, I have 0 issues with that. The problem is that on the VGA side when I try to use a site like youtube, my pc crashes and does one of the following: resets, black screen, or blue screen with "ati2cqag.dll" error. It doesn't always crash on the youtube main page but if I click on a youtube video from any site, it crashes. Sometimes it starts to play fine and if I click to adjust anything it crashes.

Is there something I can try to eliminate the error or will I have to get a dedicated set up? I have installed the latest ati drivers and have no issues with the card with those drivers, but then I lose all the GroovyMAME goodness. I have tried both outputs and both do it, and my power supply is 550 watts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:42:34 am by 69mustang »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 04:59:06 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Crt Emudriver Crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:34:37 am »
Hi 69mustang, thanks for reporting this.

First of all, I'd check this:

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-5085598.html?tag=posts;msg5085598

Also, an important test would be to check if official Catalyst 9.3 crashes too, you can download it here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/9-3/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?&lang=English
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

69mustang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:14:22 am »
Thanks for the reply. Ok so here is what I did.

I uninstalled the latest drivers restarted, then did a driver sweep to remove any amd reg traces, then restarted again. I installed the official Catalyst 9.3 and tried youtube videos with and without acceleration and both modes worked fine. So then I uninstalled like before and installed the crt_emudrivers and disabled flash acceleration.

I went to youtube and no crash, I select the search bar and started to type and the screen froze for a couple of seconds and then both monitors flickered on/off then I had control again. I chose my video and began to play it was fine, then I tried to skip ahead and froze again (about 3-5 seconds) then flickered on/off and continued playing the video.

I can definitely live with this for now until I can afford a dedicated MAME setup. Thank you for the help.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:34:06 am »
Glad to see it helped, thanks for your tests. So there's definitely something in the hack I made that can cause Flash to crash when hardware acceleration is used. This may have no relation at all, but the other program known to have issues with CRT_Emudriver is Hyperspin, which is also Flash based afaik (the workaround for Hyperspin is to cut down the mode list to 70-80 video modes). I'm going to edit your thread's topic as this information will help other users.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:37:49 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

69mustang

• Offline Offline
Re: Crt Emudriver Crashing when playing youtube (Flash) videos
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:40:50 am »
Also to clarify the flickering a little, it seems it loses sync then gains it or perhaps switches resolutions and then back again. It happens pretty quick so I don't know what it's really doing.

The new topic title is definitely better.

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:30 pm »
I noticed the same problem with you tube .. the first time I went there, Windows XP64 blue screened on me!

69mustang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 03:53:23 am »
I followed steps 2-8 on this link and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have acceleration enabled and youtube is working. For some reason the acceleration was only at halfway on the second monitor, so I moved the slider to full and all is good. Make sure you do this for both monitors if you have 2 connected like I do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-ATI-Graphics-Drivers-in-Windows-Server-2003-X64-Edition
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:27:17 pm by 69mustang »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:49 am »
Excellent info, 69mustang!
Steps to create a log:

69mustang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »
I take it back, I had forgotten to run vmmaker. Once I run that, flash videos are broken again until I disable hardware acceleration (as described in your first post). Though once disabled, everything runs smooth. I was hooked on Demon Front and I was running that on MAMEUI 145u5. Once I tried to run GroovyMAME it played at warp speed, I realized I hadn't run vmmaker yet.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:52:31 pm by 69mustang »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »
That's even more interesting. You could try running VMMaker reducing the TotalModes variable in vmmaker.ini to something around 80 to see if it fixes the problem.
Steps to create a log:

69mustang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:18:36 pm »
I'll try reducing TotalModes later tonight, here is some other weirdness though. Youtube works fine now but did crash originally, once I disabled HA (Hardware Acceleration) I didn't have anymore issues. Then on another site that had an embedded youtube video, it flickered I managed to disable HA and continue playing it. For some reason it was enabled. I tried to skip ahead and it BSOD same error as before. I restarted the computer, went to the same site made sure the HA was still disabled and it played fine no problems skipping ahead or back worked fine too.

EDIT: I just realized one of my FireFox Addons (BetterPrivacy) was blocking any flash cookies and that's why the HA setting kept getting reset after I disabled it for youtube. I disabled the addon and settings are stored for all sites with flash videos, so they all work with HA disabled.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:34:14 pm by 69mustang »

69mustang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:16 pm »
Lowering the TotalModes to 80 still caused the BSOD. Disabling HA still fixes it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:33:42 pm by 69mustang »

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »
I'm having the same issue, though it only occurs using the HD 4350 - not with the HD 2400. Very glitchy when playing flash video (youtube & hyperspin). Can't disable HA as it's needed for MAME?

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:11:20 pm »
Found a solution. Disable hardware acceleration from within Flash itself, not windows. Right click on something playing in Flash, choose options and disable HA. No more glitching.