Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Do you change the rules options and slope on your Pin

Monthly
0 (0%)
Yearly
0 (0%)
Never
3 (60%)
When I need a change
1 (20%)
When I need an Ego Boost!
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: April 10, 2012, 08:55:41 pm

Author Topic: Do you mess with the difficulty on your Pins  (Read 1787 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Do you mess with the difficulty on your Pins
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »
I've been playing with what I know are not the default settings on my machine.  5 balls per game, saucer target lights on the more difficult settings.  Over time the front legs sunk deep into the carpet.  I tried setting the playfield at 6 degrees.  Scores slumped and the appeal went down.  Then I cranked it back up - don't know the angle but the back of the backbox was plumb.  It was like Christmas morning, ball times tripled. 

I'm getting ready to set the dip switches to the globetrotters defaults - 3 balls, saucer lights scan, free game at 360k, etc. so I can compare VP to the real thing more realistically. 

How often to you go in and mess with your settings?  Change playfield post locations?  Change your PF slope?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Do you mess with the difficulty on your Pins
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »
I mess with the game setting pretty regularily on my pins.  On my AF I have tried all kinds of combinations from tight scoring to starting with like 6 bear kicks and hitting the mansion from the swamp.  I tend to play better on a steeper pin, I really do better with the dynamic ball action on the more severe grade.  When I level it out my scores don't seem to improve but my games last long enough for my beer to get warm. 

On the paragon I just sold I had that set on the easiest scoring and a very level field because that's the one my 4 year old liked to play.  The AF is still too fast for him and he gets frustrated.  If I'm having a party I'll usually reset high scores to factory and set the pin to factory on difficulty but level the pin out just a tad.  If I have a really bitchin score up tho I will sometimes leave that as a challenge, but only if I get it under tight settings.  Otherwise it feels cheap.   

I do enjoy playing AF on 5 ball tho, I really hate it when I only make it like 4 rooms through the mansion then gutter out.