Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will Act Labs Light Gun work with vertical monitor?  (Read 1949 times)

alank2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 10:05:48 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Will Act Labs Light Gun work with vertical monitor?
« on: September 27, 2003, 03:30:31 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if the light gun would work in a configuration when the monitor is mounded vertically.  I am thinking about a WG U3100 which I think works with the gun.  The only thing is that I plan to use the rotation of the video card (integrated intel) to rotate the monitor.  In this case, the display resolution is 480x640 (not 640x480).  I do not have to do any ROL or ROR in mame, just change the aspect to 3:4 instead of 4:3.  But I wonder if when the light gun sends its coords in, will it send x for y and y for x.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Nightfalls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2003, 11:47:26 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Will Act Labs Light Gun work with vertical monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 09:25:30 am »
I was wondering if the light gun would work in a configuration when the monitor is mounded vertically.  I am thinking about a WG U3100 which I think works with the gun.  The only thing is that I plan to use the rotation of the video card (integrated intel) to rotate the monitor.  In this case, the display resolution is 480x640 (not 640x480).  I do not have to do any ROL or ROR in mame, just change the aspect to 3:4 instead of 4:3.  But I wonder if when the light gun sends its coords in, will it send x for y and y for x.  Any ideas?

I have tried using the rotation feature of my graphic card (an ArcadeVGA) and it seems to clash with MAME32, because games do not load when I setup windows to be displayed vertically. I don't know if this is an issue with ArcadeVGA only, or happen with all cards. I will try that you say about the aspect, and see if it works. Using ror, it should work, because the resolution of vertical games keep on being the same, for instance, 320x240, and not 240x320. In fact I would dare to say that vertical monitors do not exist. Actually, they are horizontal monitors, which are rotated, so that's why you see vertical scanlines. I'm sorry I cannot help with the lightgun issue, since I have never tried it with MAME.

Tailgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2009, 01:21:16 pm
Re:Will Act Labs Light Gun work with vertical monitor?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 11:41:29 am »
In fact I would dare to say that vertical monitors do not exist. Actually, they are horizontal monitors, which are rotated, so that's why you see vertical scanlines.

Yes and no. WG made some K4900 series vertical mount arcade monitors, I have one in a Time Pilot cab. The CRT is the same as was used in the horizontal K4900 monitors, though the frame mounts the chassis PCB on bottom when the monitor is in a vertical orientation.