Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I do this connection ??  (Read 3204 times)

MrPoPo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2004, 05:53:46 pm
Can I do this connection ??
« on: September 27, 2003, 12:42:58 pm »
Hi group !!

I want to plug a Dreamcast to my Arcade Machine.
Can be dangerous for any component if i do this ??

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re:Can I do this connection ??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 01:55:11 pm »
I'm not sure if that would be safe or not.  I think you are afraid of having both machines turned on at the same time because then you would be controlling both with the controls.  The easiest solution to this is the just put in a switch to switch your controls from the dreamcast over to the IPac.  This way the PC thinks you are just unplugging/plugging the keyboard and the dreamcast thinks you are just uplugging/plugging the controller(s).  Then in this situation you can have both the PC and the Dreamcast on at the same time if you want and not worry about your controllers working for both at the same time.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 02:15:11 am »
you can have both connected if you use the diode method (diode on every connection going from the ipac and the dc controllers)

but you will still need a real switch on the vga line you cant just splice them together

DAmnb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2011, 03:35:40 pm
  • R-Type for president!
    • TheGameCollector
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 06:52:04 am »
You could always go for 25pin dsubs and a printerswitch, works fine for me and you could run the audio/video through it so it switches everything easy.

MrPoPo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2004, 05:53:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 09:50:25 am »
THANKS.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 03:53:25 pm »
Just use a TV in your cab.  I think this is the best way to go especially if you want consoles too.  Switching video signals is no problem, and TV screens are really close picture wise to honest to god arcade monitors...certainly closer to the real thing than a PC monitor.  

Of course the WG 9200 throws this whole line of reasoning out of wack.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps