Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $2 Bill is now fake money!  (Read 6732 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
$2 Bill is now fake money!
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:43 am »
I got some $2 bills from my brother who owed me some money. Not sure where he gets them. He keeps them in his wallet just like my dad used to do saying they are lucky. Not important, anyway I walk into a gas station to pick up some food before work and hand the 16/17 year old girl teller the $2 bills. She looks at them weirdly and says “whats this?” I say kind of sarcastically “its money”.  She then gets puffy “do you think I am stupid!” Because of her age I knew what was going on instantly. I started laughing and she was getting madder. I was just about ready to say "aw man you got me, obviously there is no such thing as a $2 bill” Thought it would be funnier if her mom or someone explained it to her later.

But then the manager came out of the back and was like "that’s fine", she got all red and started apologizing , that’s no fun.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:13:55 pm by fallacy »

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
Re: $2 Bill is now fake money!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:04 am »
she got all red and started aphorizing, that’s no fun.

wtf?

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:24 am »
Hit the wrong one on spell check.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:16 am »
Same thing happened to my buddy at Taco Bell. They called the cops who said it happens all the time.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:51 am »
Dollars are fake money anyway. I'm surprise she accept bills UBERHAUPT. I think she should force you to pay by iPhone or Google Wallet. It looks the same as the bills in my 1974 Monopoly set. This is real money:

We have way uglier Euro's right now, but the genius behind Dutch money now makes Hong-Kong notes. Some taste remains in the world.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:19:16 am »
Dollars are fake money anyway...
We have way uglier Euro's right now.

Yeah, and if the Euro evar dissolves all your pretty money countries over in Europe are going to be snatching up "fake" Dollars again to pay the bills... oh wait, they already are  :lol

Besides, they make movies about the dynamic crazy ass hidden symbolism of our money... 'Merica!

All kidding aside why do I want pastel colored money with horses and lighthouses on it again?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:46 am
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:26 am »

From our local radio station. I remember hearing it live. Pretty funny. I have about 20 $2 bills at home. Makes me want to use them.

J_K_M_A_N

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:04 am »
I love KQRS, been listening to them since I was little sitting in the back of my moms car.

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
College I attended (Clemson) had a tradition where students would bring along lots of $2 bills to use as their primary currency when traveling to other towns for sporting events, so the town would feel the "impact" of our arrival.  Still have bunches of them and they're fun to give to kids to confuse them.
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »
She then gets puffy “do you think I am stupid!”

You could have gone a number of ways after this one, such as "Let's revisit that question at the end of this event, shall we?"  Or "If you think there's no such thing as a $2 bill, then yes!"  Or even "Nope, I don't think so.  I KNOW so."

Loved the radio guy's story, but damn he uses that terrible monotone voice throughout, and it makes it somewhat droll.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »
She then gets puffy “do you think I am stupid!”

You could have gone a number of ways after this one, such as "Let's revisit that question at the end of this event, shall we?"  Or "If you think there's no such thing as a $2 bill, then yes!"  Or even "Nope, I don't think so.  I KNOW so."

Loved the radio guy's story, but damn he uses that terrible monotone voice throughout, and it makes it somewhat droll.

The scary part is these dumb kids will be looking after you when you get old.  :lol
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:26 am »
What's horrifying is my step-daughters friends are not only flat out clueless about the $2 but clueless about bills in general. Years and years ago, I used to collect those fake bills you find all over the place. Just recently, my four year old son found part of my collection and one of these bills ended up sitting on the hallway table.

Long story short, her friend sees the bill and flips out at my aplomb nature just leaving said bill lying around.

Kids today aren't just clueless, they're just downright :censored: stupid.

No, I'm not saying that because, like PBJ, they don't handle paper money much. I mean it. They really are as dumb as a screen door on a submarine. Not a single ounce of logic in their heads.  ::)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 04:00:00 am »
Dollars are fake money anyway. I'm surprise she accept bills UBERHAUPT. I think she should force you to pay by iPhone or Google Wallet. It looks the same as the bills in my 1974 Monopoly set. This is real money:

We have way uglier Euro's right now, but the genius behind Dutch money now makes Hong-Kong notes. Some taste remains in the world.

I'm too lazy to google it, but I'm pretty sure the 'genius' behind the Hong Kong note is from Australia. We started making that type of polymer note first, then sold the tech all over. US weren't interested however...

edit: oh wait, you just mean the artwork itself, right? As you were!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:02:10 am by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:14 am »
One time we bought a computer at Walmart (1993, pre-Newegg/TigerDirect) with a $1000 bill. They called management and just freaked out in general. Once the electronics manager, who had to be in his fifties, showed up, he knew it was real and finished the transaction.

$2 bills are fine, because who the hell is going to bother faking such a small amount?

We have this one weirdo that comes into the Hastings I work at and he ONLY pays in $2's, dollar coins, and fifty cent pieces, none of which we have a proper place in the drawer for, and no listings on our deposit bags for. Giving them out as change only causes people to look at me like I'm the weirdo.....so I make sure to give them to teenagers. ;D

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:10 am »
One time we bought a computer at Walmart (1993, pre-Newegg/TigerDirect) with a $1000 bill. They called management and just freaked out in general. Once the electronics manager, who had to be in his fifties, showed up, he knew it was real and finished the transaction.

$2 bills are fine, because who the hell is going to bother faking such a small amount?

We have this one weirdo that comes into the Hastings I work at and he ONLY pays in $2's, dollar coins, and fifty cent pieces, none of which we have a proper place in the drawer for, and no listings on our deposit bags for. Giving them out as change only causes people to look at me like I'm the weirdo.....so I make sure to give them to teenagers. ;D

In '93 the $1000 note was a collectors item already worth more than the $1000 currency value.  It's no wonder they were confused as it was a New Deal gold note when the gold standard was removed and hadn't been in popular circulation since the 60s and had only been printed in the 30s.  If somebody tried to pay me with a Cleveland I'd drive them to the bank first for verification then drive myself to a coin shop for a healthy payday.  So the question is, why were you spending rare out of print antique currency on a computer?    

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:12 pm »
Crisp I can believe but not new. I'll do some research but I don't think the 1000 note was printed after 34. Banks held most of them so that can account for the good condition.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
So the question is, why were you spending rare out of print antique currency on a computer?   

I was with my friend and his dad is the one who got the bill from his bank (according to what he told us....sounds like BS). He thought it would be funny. I was in high school and didn't know jack about circulation or rarity. So, it wasn't my idea.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »
In '93 the $1000 note was a collectors item already worth more than the $1000 currency value.  It's no wonder they were confused as it was a New Deal gold note when the gold standard was removed and hadn't been in popular circulation since the 60s and had only been printed in the 30s.  If somebody tried to pay me with a Cleveland I'd drive them to the bank first for verification then drive myself to a coin shop for a healthy payday.  So the question is, why were you spending rare out of print antique currency on a computer?   

See, that's exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about.  I've seen crisp, new $1,000s more than once so there's obviously more to this story.

Maybe it was a byproduct of Quantitative Easing

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »
You know, I really wouldn't put it past a tourist to pull out Grandpa's old stash and spend it on a trip.   I can remember when my grandmother announced she had an envelope with several thousand dollars worth of American Express traveler's checks she had been hoarding 20+ years.  

I just can't believe it wouldn't have gotten more a reaction from the cashiers.

:dunno
It still does if the store does their job.

When my wife was a manager at Target this guy brought in some $100s that were many many decades old.  The strange thing is they were perfectly crisp virtually unused.

Long story short, they called a secret service rep to come out and review the bills.  They had been sitting in a Brazilian bank for decades.  The guy exchanged Brazilian money for American before his trip.  As surprised as the agent was to see the money, it all turned out ok in the end. 
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Justin Z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:53:05 am
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »

No, I'm not saying that because, like PBJ, they don't handle paper money much. I mean it. They really are as dumb as a screen door on a submarine. Not a single ounce of logic in their heads.  ::)

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

- Socrates

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint"

- Hesiod (8th Century BC)

The more things change . . .   ;D

Nephasth

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

- Socrates

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint"

- Hesiod (8th Century BC)

The more things change . . .   ;D

Spank 'em if you got 'em...

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »
We have this one weirdo that comes into the Hastings I work at and he ONLY pays in $2's, dollar coins, and fifty cent pieces, none of which we have a proper place in the drawer for, and no listings on our deposit bags for. Giving them out as change only causes people to look at me like I'm the weirdo.....so I make sure to give them to teenagers. Grin

now I know why I always got those Anthony dollar coins as a kid for change. Stop by Taco Bell and they would be like here you go dip ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, take these so I can clean out my drawer. I would be all like “F***K You Mother F***ER!” I can’t even use these to get change for the arcade!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:13:32 pm by fallacy »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »
You know, I really wouldn't put it past a tourist to pull out Grandpa's old stash and spend it on a trip.   I can remember when my grandmother announced she had an envelope with several thousand dollars worth of American Express traveler's checks she had been hoarding 20+ years.  

I just can't believe it wouldn't have gotten more a reaction from the cashiers.

:dunno
It still does if the store does their job.

When my wife was a manager at Target this guy brought in some $100s that were many many decades old.  The strange thing is they were perfectly crisp virtually unused.

Long story short, they called a secret service rep to come out and review the bills.  They had been sitting in a Brazilian bank for decades.  The guy exchanged Brazilian money for American before his trip.  As surprised as the agent was to see the money, it all turned out ok in the end. 
This happens to tourists a lot. The worst is when the bank in the originating country hands the tourist out of circulation bank notes. You get to your destination and are basically screwed until you can get to a bank and exchange the notes for "current" ones.
NO MORE!!

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:18 am »
I also have a bunch of 0.5 and 1$ coins. Does she accept them too?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »

From our local radio station. I remember hearing it live. Pretty funny. I have about 20 $2 bills at home. Makes me want to use them.

J_K_M_A_N

Reminds we of WOZ and his pad of money.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

I don’t get it. How is any currency you print by law Legal tender?

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 11:34:53 pm »
<< never seen a $1000 bill before or knew about it :dunno

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »

I don’t get it. How is any currency you print by law Legal tender?

He doesn't, it's well crafted wordplay, he has a printer bind the money into perforated sheets.  The only outright lie would be that he sells them for $5.  Woz actually does this for the sheer joy of screwing with people when they see him rip off a $2 and buy something. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 04:00:18 am »
He doesn't, it's well crafted wordplay, he has a printer bind the money into perforated sheets.  The only outright lie would be that he sells them for $5.  Woz actually does this for the sheer joy of screwing with people when they see him rip off a $2 and buy something. 

When did he say anything like that? He even said the ink was wet.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 11:31:44 am »
Check out the comments on the youtube video, they explain it there, he's just being funny.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »
Woz has always been a big prankster.
NO MORE!!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 06:27:51 pm »
Woz has always been a big prankster.

A wealthy prankster without his money is just a ---tallywhacker---.  :-\

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:03 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:50 am »
though not entirely the same, but very similarly you can achieve the same effect.

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Bill-Pad/

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
There's many more than the $1000. You'd have to be an idiot to spend it though, it's worth a lot more than that to collectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denominations_of_United_States_currency

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:28 pm »
Woz actually does this for the sheer joy of screwing with people when they see him rip off a $2 and buy something. 

I've taken a pile of new singles and rubber cemented them end to end.  Then, roll them up and tuck them into a shirt pocket.

At certain places where having a lot of ones comes in handy, you always get a laugh when you grab the end and pull out 3 or 4 feet of dollar bills.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???