Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade questions and build  (Read 2654 times)

C4N3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2012, 09:25:10 am
GroovyArcade questions and build
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »
Hey Guys,
I'm new to linux but would really like to give the GroovyArcade liveCD a shot. Ideally I'd like to use this to run my cab. WindowsXP is just such a POS that i'd prefer linux and feel its more resource efficient. I have a Windows XP build right now, but I needed to use powerstrip, Soft15khz, Hyperspin and MAME and it still isn't perfect. I'm hoping since GroovyArcade is prebuilt I won't even be able to mess it up.

So, here at long last are my questions:
I have a JPAC and an IPAC. I need these because I have a 4p Konami based system. I'm trying to use the original controls and I've also integrated a 6 JAMMA board switcher so that I can play the system's original board (X-Men) and a Simpsons game I added as well as use my computer for all the other games/systems. Will GroovyArcade work with IPAC/JPAC? I realize its all USB but I will need to do custom mappings most likely. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Currently I am using a 5 year old HP Laptop with an AMD Turion processor and ATI Radeon Mobility xpress 200. Is this driver compatible?

I'm not stuck on Hyperspin, all though I like it for a FE. I like the polish and the feel it has, but I am open to trying other things. Do you have any recommendations?

Does GroovyMAME still have the NAG screens?

Overall I would appreciate any recommendations. I'm also considering buying new PC hardware to build into this cab. I was thinking mini-ITX but I'm open to suggestions. I would like something that boots when I select it with the switcher or that turns on when the CAB is powered. I know you can't do that with a laptop. I'm pretty new at this, but I want to do it right. Thanks!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: GroovyArcade questions and build
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 02:55:29 pm »
Hi C4N3,

I currently use GroovyArcade through a JPAC with zero problems. Just make sure to select the right video output connection on grub menu (boot menu). Your ATI card should be supported too.

When using a JPAC, I find it useful to add shift functions like this:

- P1 + UP: 6 (second player coin in some games)
- P1 + DOWN: P (pause in MAME)
- P1 + LEFT: Enter (many uses)
- P1 + RIGHT: Tab (show menu in MAME)
- P1 + some other button: F11 (show speed % in MAME, this is a must)

Nag screens are enabled by default in GroovyMAME but you can disable them through mame.ini

If you're going to build a new PC for arcade use, my advice is: start picking the right video card, and consider everything around it as mere peripherals.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

C4N3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2012, 09:25:10 am
Re: GroovyArcade questions and build
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:51 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Calamity!

I have a couple follow up questions I'd like to ask:

the reason I'm concerned about the JPAC/IPAC combo is because I'm using both, and default mappings are the same for both which I would assume would cause conflict and a need for the IPAC to be remapped for 3P/4P. My questions is how would I do this on Linux if the ultimarc utility doesn't run on linux. I have other windows PC's that I could connect the IPAC to in order to program it if thats the only way to do it.

Do you have any graphics cards that you would recommend for this? I would like to get something with plenty of power but not spend a bunch of a money on it. I'd like to keep the PC as in-expensive as possible. Have you looked at AMD's APU options? Thanks!