Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala + Startcom + Mrotate3 + mameui  (Read 6392 times)

ataruzzolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 01:07:41 pm
Mala + Startcom + Mrotate3 + mameui
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »
Hello,

I "finished" (95 %) the rotation setup for my cab, but I can't make it work with Mala.
I have the secretmotordriver + solarbotics GM3 + limit switch for H and V position.

If I test the setup with Mrotate3 utility (mrsetup) all works fine: 13 = H switch, 12 = V switch, 2 for turning H, 3 for turning V, enable set to 5. In the Test Panel I trigger Run to Vertical -> monitor rotate -> limit switch ON -> monitor stop, if I trigger Run for Horizontal -> monitor rotate -> limit switch ON -> monitor stop. In the meantime I check pportreader and the right number is lighting up, 2 + 5 or 3 + 5 for INPUT when the monitor is running and 13 or 12 for OUTPUT when the limit switch is made.

Then I put Startcom in Mala plugin directory and I run the setup (set path, CCW for rotation). If I run any game (vertical or horizontal) the monitor rotate vertical and the game is not rotate. When I quit the game the monitor is still vertical and Mala layout is horizontal.

So, which options in Mame or Mala i have to set?

Thanks!

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: Mala + Startcom + Mrotate3 + mameui
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »
try changing either autoror or autorol from 0 to 1 in mame.ini.  There could also be issues on the mala/startcom side but you need DaOldMan for that, I'm not up on the parallel port side of that. 

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:01 pm »
I think TopJimmyCooks has the right idea.

Here are the settings I use to turn CCW..
First pic is the mame.ini, set autoror to 1 (make sure the rest to do with rotate are set to 0)
Second pic, in Mala Options/mame config/options, check the rotate mala with mame.
In the startcom plugin configure, you can play around with rotate mala before or after the game, to see what works best for you.
Hope this helps.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03:26 pm »
I was thinking a bit and it might be best to uncheck the "Rotate Mala with mame" option in mala/options/mame config/options.

I forgot that startcom does this based on if you select rotate mala before or after game ends, and this could create some problems, if you have it set one way in the mala options and the other way in startcom, so it may be best to just let startcom handle it.

ataruzzolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:57 am »
Thanks for the reply  ;)

Allright, I rechecked all, and the problem was mame.ini file: mameui generates the mame.ini file in the ini subfolder, Mala want a ini file with the exact name of mame exe in mame root folder, so i renamed mameui.exe in mame.exe and set the ini folder to be the root folder, in this way Mala could read the correct parameters from the file (autoror option).
Then I switched Command parameters in Startcom, switch horizontal 90, switch vertical 0, maybe I accidentally inverted some wire in my configuration...
Now all works properly!
Now I have to decide what to do when I quit Mala with a vertical rotation done: if I esc to Windows I could rotate (with mrSetup) the monitor back to horizontal, but if I relaunch Mala the Menu is rotated vertical...

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:44:50 am by ataruzzolo »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:43:11 am »
Glad you got it. Thanks for posting your solution, it could be helpful to others.
About turning Mala in the orientation that the screen is in on startup, I wrote a small program that will do that for you.
It reads which limit switch is made and turns mala to that orientation.
Download it here, and let me know if you need any help.

http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3585

ataruzzolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:02 am »
Glad you got it. Thanks for posting your solution, it could be helpful to others.
About turning Mala in the orientation that the screen is in on startup, I wrote a small program that will do that for you.
It reads which limit switch is made and turns mala to that orientation.
Download it here, and let me know if you need any help.

http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3585

Thanks! I downloaded the program, late I'll test it. But, I'll use HORN+EWF configuration for windows, so my computer resume every time by one predetermined 'position' and there is no write to disk, only to memory. In a second hardrive (conpactflash to sata) I have the programs and the files that need to be modified (ex. ini, cfg, hiscore...). Mala has a 'resume' capacity, it knows if the frontend start from the hybernation: I have to test if your program can work in that way. Or maybe I can rotate back from every vertical game...

:applaud:

ataruzzolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 06:56:23 am »
I'm in bed with a cold since tuesday (:dizzy:), I haven't had the chance to try malaori---
I hope to try it in the next few days  ;)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:06 am »
Sorry about your cold. Best thing for me when I have a cold is Vicks Vapo Rub.
That and one (just one) shot of Jack Daniels before bedtime.

If your problem is when the computer wakes up from standby mala ori may not work for you.

But post back when you feel like testing some more and we will see what we can do.

ataruzzolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »
That and one (just one) shot of Jack Daniels before bedtime.

The bottle is now empty  ;)

ataruzzolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »
In a standard configuration Malaori works like a charm. Soon I'll try something with the "hybernation situation".

:cheers: