Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone Else Jazzed About the New Avengers Movie?  (Read 39169 times)

wizkid32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
Anyone Else Jazzed About the New Avengers Movie?
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »
The title says it all.   :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: Anyone Else Jazzed About the New Avengers Movie?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:19:41 am »
sure. it will be allright.

I am sure ironman will steal the show with his cheesy lines. dont know what kind of camera they are using but these trailers look really nice and clean.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:09 am »
Questions.

Why is Green Lantern not in it.

How did Thore get back to earth, and why the hell would he be part of that, he has his own kingdom to rule.

Is Edward Norton playing the Hulk. The trailer not showing him is telling me he is not.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2024, 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:43:25 am »
Questions.

How did Thore get back to earth, and why the hell would he be part of that, he has his own kingdom to rule.

Is Edward Norton playing the Hulk. The trailer not showing him is telling me he is not.

Green Latern is not only not in the Avengers, He's not even a marvel character (He's DC)
Im sure they'll explain how and why thor is there, Loki was back on earth at the end of Thor.
Mark Ruffalo will play Bruce Banner, and the original Incredible Hulk Lou Ferrigno(!!!!) will do the hulks voice
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:31 am »
I think it will most likely suck. Joss Whedon is the only thing that gives me any hope that the movie might be okay. And his track record is a bit spotty. He created Buffy and Firefly, but he also created Dollhouse. He directed Serenity, but that's the only feature film under his belt. It's not much to go off of. There are plenty of directors out there who have one great film swimming in a see of mediocrity on their resumes. Moreover, Serenity was a small, personal, fairly inexpensive film based on his own creation. The Avengers is a $150 million tent pole film which means that Whedon is going to have producers following his every move, saying things like , "Oh . . . you can't do that," and, "Hey, we really need you to have a love-triangle in the film so this will go over well as a date movie," etc. He's going to have back seat drivers on this film that he didn't have on Serenity.

On top of all that, his work is cut out for him. When a comic book movie tries to follow too large a cast of characters, it almost always ends up giving a shallow treatment to each (because there's just not enough time) and the movie is bad.  Hell, Thor had super shallow character development when he had an hour and a half all to himself. The first two X-men movies showed that it can be done. But it usually is not done well. Even Sam Raimi, who proved that he can make an excellent comic book movie (Spidey 1 and 1) faltered when he tried to cram in more characters (Spidey 3).
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
Spidey 3 isn't all Raimi's fault. Those nosy producers you mentioned had more to do with it.

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:11 am »

As said above, Green lantern is created/owned by a different company.  He could be in a Batman or Superman movie (Think the old Superfriends Cartoon), but not in Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman...

Thor came back for a girl, of course.  Plus he has a really big ego and being around humans shows off how awesome he can be.

I'm looking forward to it.  Hoping will be as good as Captain America which I really enjoyed, but I liked "Dollhouse" too so what do I know?  ::)
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:40 am »
Spidey 3 isn't all Raimi's fault. Those nosy producers you mentioned had more to do with it.

Yeah if Raimi had his way, would have had to watch the Vulture and his made up character "The Vultress played by Anne Hathaway.

I havent seen Serenity, or any other Joss Whedon stuff, so Im going soley on the trailer and the other media stuff hyping up this film. I have 2 beefs with this movie. The first, being the most important, is the Hulk. He looks WAY too small, and he is a sickly shade of green. The only cool aspect of Ang Lee's hulk was that the madder he got, the bigger and stronger he got, like in the comic. The Loius Letterer Hulk, being a far superior movie, and they got Hulks face/head PERFECT didnt showcase this, and he remained the same size throughout the film. I love my Hulk to be huge, and be far stronger than ANYONE else, even Thor, because the potential for his strength is limitless. In the comics Thor goes toe to toe with the hulk, and often times loses. My second beef is Captain America. I hate how they cast Chris Evans in the role, and I dont know how I feel about his costume. Neither he nor thor ever wear their helmets, and that alone pisses me off. Like someone else mentioned, I hope Iron Man doesnt try to one up everyone all the time. He does look really awesome though, so far the effects seem top notch.
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »
Did they make a Green Arrow movie?

Green Arrow and Captain America are the only characters I like.

The Hulk just smashes things and they made two startup movies for him.

I was really surprised at how good Thor was so I have high hopes for the Avengers.

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »
Green Arrow is just Hawkeye in a green costume.

The Hulk needs to showcase his strength. With CGI and the medium of movies, the ideas for him to do things are limitless. I was hoping they were going to make the hulk the villain in this, and the avengers had to band together to stop him. That would have been rad.

I was impressed with the effects for Thor, and Thor himself was cool, but I thought the movie itself was lackluster, and kind of boring. Asgard looked great, and loki was good, but I dont know... The humans brought it down, like they always do. I hate how they tried to push the love thing on us... Getting tired of it.

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »
I hate how they tried to push the love thing on us... Getting tired of it.
+1 regarding soooo many comic book/superhero movies.
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:15 pm »
I'm excited. Joss' comics runs have me convinced he can handle ensembles of iconic characters, which hopefully will translate to the big screen well.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:45:43 am
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »
I am optimistic but there are a lot of characters to cram into a 2 hour movie.  Also, there is no way in hell this movie will be remotely close to The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.  26 serialized episodes (in HD!) and I may like it better than the 90s Batman cartoon as my favorite superhero cartoon ever.  It is so so so good.  It is up on Netflix so if you've got it definitely check it out.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »
I'm excited actually I've watched all the movies and I really liked them so the combined characters will be great.
I am sad Edward Norton got screwed over with hulk I would of loved to have seen him play it again.
Plus my mate from school is in the movie so that is a big plus on why I'm looking forward to this as well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »
I think it will most likely suck. Joss Whedon is the only thing that gives me any hope that the movie might be okay. And his track record is a bit spotty. He created Buffy and Firefly, but he also created Dollhouse. He directed Serenity, but that's the only feature film under his belt. It's not much to go off of. There are plenty of directors out there who have one great film swimming in a see of mediocrity on their resumes. Moreover, Serenity was a small, personal, fairly inexpensive film based on his own creation. The Avengers is a $150 million tent pole film which means that Whedon is going to have producers following his every move, saying things like , "Oh . . . you can't do that," and, "Hey, we really need you to have a love-triangle in the film so this will go over well as a date movie," etc. He's going to have back seat drivers on this film that he didn't have on Serenity.

On top of all that, his work is cut out for him. When a comic book movie tries to follow too large a cast of characters, it almost always ends up giving a shallow treatment to each (because there's just not enough time) and the movie is bad.  Hell, Thor had super shallow character development when he had an hour and a half all to himself. The first two X-men movies showed that it can be done. But it usually is not done well. Even Sam Raimi, who proved that he can make an excellent comic book movie (Spidey 1 and 1) faltered when he tried to cram in more characters (Spidey 3).

+1000

I said this exact same thing in another thread.  

For those who keep saying "Joss does well with ensemble casts"  or "Joss has a great reputation for writing" you are completely wrong..... Joss does well with ensemble casts... IF he created the characters himself... Joss also has a great reputation for writing... again IF he is writing a unique story for his own unique characters.  

If anything Joss's track record shows that when he has to work on an established franchise he fails miserably....  actually the more promenant the franchise, the more awful the results.  Just look at the train-wreck that was Alien Resurrection.  Joss isn't a script writer... he's a script "fixer."  The irony is that he track record for that is even worse (like 15-20%??)  

For the record, while I LOVED firefly and the serenity movie, I felt that the directing in Serenity was a little lacking....  cheesy cuts, sometimes akward camera angles... but the characters were so well established and the writing and acting was good enough to make it work anyway.  On other words, Joss had everybody on his side helping.  When he does the Avengers, everything will be against him.  Hell the only competant actor in the bunch is RDJ, and he tends to intentially be a giant ham in these types of roles.  

I think the real problem with this film is that it's established in the "Marvel Movies Universe."  In that universe only the Hulk and Iron Man are properly represented.  Thor is so-so, the Cap is garbage and the other guys haven't even been in a film yet.  Oh yeah, and Nick Fury has been replaced by Samuel Jackson in an eyepatch.  SLJ doesn't play characters... he plays himself in a different outfit.  And Nick Fury.. the ORIGINAL Nick Fury, not some ultimates reject, is kind of crucial for a proper Avengers movie.  

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2024, 08:36:46 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »
They better not be skimpy with the HULK scenes total bad-ass!!!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 12:59:28 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
SLJ doesn't play characters... he plays himself in a different outfit.

Although I generally like SLJ, no truer words have ever been written.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »
And Nick Fury.. the ORIGINAL Nick Fury, not some ultimates reject, is kind of crucial for a proper Avengers movie

Yeah, I couldnt agree with you more. I hate the Ultimate Nick Fury/Samuel L. Its a joke. You cant even take him serious, especially after how he acted in Iron Man 2.  ::)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 06:01:28 pm »
What is Nick Fury's super power? Is he like super organized or something?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »

He is probably a some jedi-kung-fu-master-we-haven't-seen-yet superhero.

What was that other dumbass film Mr {MF} Jackson was in...that sucked..with that retard from Starwars.....

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »
And Nick Fury.. the ORIGINAL Nick Fury, not some ultimates reject, is kind of crucial for a proper Avengers movie

Yeah, I couldnt agree with you more. I hate the Ultimate Nick Fury/Samuel L. Its a joke. You cant even take him serious, especially after how he acted in Iron Man 2.  ::)

So you prefer the Nick Fury as played by David Hasslehoff?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury:_Agent_of_S.H.I.E.L.D._%28film%29
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119781/

He has the same super powers as The Punisher, as in.....he doesnt have super powers.
wikiquote:
Nick Fury's aging has been slowed greatly by the Infinity Formula, a serum created by Dr. Berthold Sternberg. Fury was first inoculated with the serum in the 1940s. Fury took the serum annually for many years. Due to its cumulative effect, Fury no longer needs additional doses to prolong his life span. Nick Fury is an athletic man despite his advanced chronological age. Fury's injured left eye, though initially minimally affected by a grenade blast during World War II, has over the decades resulted in a 95% loss of vision in this eye. Despite some comments to the contrary, Fury has not had the eye removed, nor bionically enhanced, and merely covers it with a cosmetic eye-patch to prevent depth perception distortion.

Fury is a seasoned unarmed and armed combat expert, was a heavyweight boxer in the army (during World War II), and holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu. He has honed his unarmed combat skills sparring with Captain America.

so he's like Xiaou2 , as in a complete work of fiction

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
Yes, I would actually prefer that than stupid ass Samuel L! Seriously! At least he LOOKS like the real nick fury. Cmon.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Yes, I would actually prefer that than stupid ass Samuel L! Seriously! At least he LOOKS like the real nick fury. Cmon.

Samuel L Jackson looks a lot like the character that was based off of Samuel L Jackson.

you obviously didnt see the hasslehoff movie. Id rather have Kurt Russel  (aka Snake Plissken) the look and the acting chops

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »

Samuel L Jackson looks a lot like the character that was based off of Samuel L Jackson.

you obviously didnt see the hasslehoff movie. Id rather have Kurt Russel  (aka Snake Plissken) the look and the acting chops

Haha yeah I never saw that one. Yeah, why would you base someone off of Samuel Jackson? He sucks. Now he does anyway.

That would be good. I like Kurt Russel a lot. If Clint Eastwood wasnt so old, he would be rad too. Thats what the original artist based him on, good ol Clint Eastwood. Ed Harris with a wig would look cool too.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »
I cant take sam jackson seriously anymore..

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:40 pm »
Questions.

Natalie Portman has a magical vajajay
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
I am optimistic but there are a lot of characters to cram into a 2 hour movie.  Also, there is no way in hell this movie will be remotely close to The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.  26 serialized episodes (in HD!) and I may like it better than the 90s Batman cartoon as my favorite superhero cartoon ever.  It is so so so good.  It is up on Netflix so if you've got it definitely check it out.
An Avengers movie would be terrible if there weren't 5 movies created in advance to prep all the characters.

You can immediately jump in and relate to all of the heros, accept maybe green arrow, but who cares about him anyways.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 12:59:28 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
Questions.

Natalie Portman has a magical vajajay

I knew it...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »
An Avengers movie would be terrible if there weren't 5 movies created in advance to prep all the characters.

You can immediately jump in and relate to all of the heros, accept maybe green arrow, but who cares about him anyways.

Certainly not Marvel, considering the Green Arrow is a DC character.  ;)

You are thinking of Hawkeye, who is not at all in any way similar to Green Arrow... I mean look Green Arrow is in a Green costume, he's in a purple one!  Totally different guy!!!  ;)

Seriously though that point kind of hits the nail right on the head. 

Let's not kid ourselves... we don't want to see an Avengers movie, we want to see a Justice League movie. 

I mean yeah, in the Avengers you have the Cap, Ironman and Thor, but you also have the Wasp, Ant Man, That guy who isn't at all a rip-off of Martian Man-Hunter, and that guy who isn't at all a rip-off of Green Arrow.  And a rotating cast of 5th or 6th string marvel heroes who nobody cares about. 

The JL on the other hand typical has a solid core of around seven heroes that are actually notable and established characters. 

That being said, a JL movie would be a train-wreck as well..... We'd have illegitamate son having superman, please take the gravel out of your mouth before you speak batman, your film was so crappy we didn't even green light it wonderwoman, hey i used to be in two guys and a girl green lantern and a non-existant flash.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »

Let's not kid ourselves... we don't want to see an Avengers movie, we want to see a Justice League movie. 

That being said, a JL movie would be a train-wreck as well..... We'd have illegitamate son having superman, please take the gravel out of your mouth before you speak batman, your film was so crappy we didn't even green light it wonderwoman, hey i used to be in two guys and a girl green lantern and a non-existant flash.

but Aquaman really ties it all together

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »
I mean yeah, in the Avengers you have the Cap, Ironman and Thor, but you also have the Wasp, Ant Man, That guy who isn't at all a rip-off of Martian Man-Hunter, and that guy who isn't at all a rip-off of Green Arrow.  And a rotating cast of 5th or 6th string marvel heroes who nobody cares about.

Like someone else mentioned before, check out the Avengers cartoon on netflix, its really well written.

Also, cmon, you know the Justice League has its fair share of lame characters too, did you see Justice league unlimited? I didnt even know who 80 percent of the characters were.

The thing is, I have never seen Hawkeye sport an arrow that had a boxing glove on it.  ::) Lets be honest, they are both lame.

Besides, who needs flash, when you have superman and wonder woman? Batman is there for intel, and MM is there for espinage. GL is useful, but flash, hawkgirl? Meh.

I still think Hulk would beat Superman in a fight if he got pissed off enough, but thats for a different thread lol.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »
I'll have to check out that Avengers cartoon.  :cheers:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »

The problem with that is that Superman is such a retarded character. He's indestructible. He can effectively teleport. He can see right through anything (but lead  ::)). He can fire lasers from his eyes. He can fly. He has super-freeze-breath. And since only one thing can hurt him . . . like . . . at all . . . the stories are super limited. Nothing Superman does is dangerous, thus nothing he does is interesting. On top of that, he has the most boring personality in the history of mankind. He's just good. Always good. And he has no humor whatsoever.

By comparison, think of all the ways Spiderman can be injured. He could be shot. He could be stabbed. He could get hit by a car. He could roll an ankle. He could be hit in the head with an axe. Someone might drop an anvil on him. He could get struck by lightning or bit by a shark. The sky is the limit. I could go on all day. And he has an actual personality.

Same goes for Batman. Imagine how lame the Batman movies would be if Batman weren't in constant peril--if all those things he did were done under the protective cloak of invincibility. It would be boring. Which is what Superman is.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »
It would be boring. Which is what Superman is.

aaaaaaagreed.  :applaud:

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 04:03:21 am »
but Aquaman really ties it all together
As long as it's the aquaman from Batman: The Brave and Bold, then that's okay with me.  He was awesome in that series.

Batman: TBATB "Journey To The Center Of The Bat" #2

Bootay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2021, 04:29:01 pm
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 10:02:24 am »
I also am a fan of The Avengers cartoon. It was well written. I thought the Justice League cartoon was well written too. I recently checked out The Brave and The Bold, and I like that as well. It is fun. Batman teams with a different hero each episode and it has the cheese elements of the 50s Batman. I liked it.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »
Heh, I watched the Nick Fury: Agent of shield movie over the weekend...

...I was entertained by it...now wehter that was just because I Lolled at Hoff being in a movie or because it was truly entertaining, we'll never know.

But does it matter?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:26 pm »

The problem with that is that Superman is such a retarded character. He's indestructible. He can effectively teleport. He can see right through anything (but lead  ::)). He can fire lasers from his eyes. He can fly. He has super-freeze-breath. And since only one thing can hurt him . . . like . . . at all . . . the stories are super limited. Nothing Superman does is dangerous, thus nothing he does is interesting. On top of that, he has the most boring personality in the history of mankind. He's just good. Always good. And he has no humor whatsoever.

By comparison, think of all the ways Spiderman can be injured. He could be shot. He could be stabbed. He could get hit by a car. He could roll an ankle. He could be hit in the head with an axe. Someone might drop an anvil on him. He could get struck by lightning or bit by a shark. The sky is the limit. I could go on all day. And he has an actual personality.

Same goes for Batman. Imagine how lame the Batman movies would be if Batman weren't in constant peril--if all those things he did were done under the protective cloak of invincibility. It would be boring. Which is what Superman is.

I hate to burst you bubble, but there are characters infinately more powerful than superman in the JL.  The Martian Manhunter and Amazo (who's sometimes a bad guy, sometimes a good guy)  come to mind. 

You are right, Superman is lame... when he's fighting earthlings.  Luckily most JL stories are inter-galactic.  Darkside comes to mind as a villain that is not only as powerful or MORE powerful than Superman, but comes complete with an entire army to keep the rest of the league busy. 

Actually.... just watch the finale of the JLU cartoon.... that's what a JL movie could be. 

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »
I hate to burst you bubble, but there are characters infinately more powerful than superman in the JL.

That doesn't really burst my bubble. That doesn't even really address the issue of Superman's lameness.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:43 pm »
I hate to burst you bubble, but there are characters infinately more powerful than superman in the JL.

That doesn't really burst my bubble. That doesn't even really address the issue of Superman's lameness.

What are you basing his "lameness" on? Movies? Comics? Cartoons? His abilities? What?

I dont know a ton about DC, but I wouldnt really say there are that many people/entities infinitely more powerful than Superman.

EVERYTHING Superman does is dangerous. What if he was sleepwalking and wrecked an entire city block? What if he sneezes and blows a building down? What if he eats a burrito and a bottle of mountain dew and has explosive diarrhea? Superman is the one shining beacon of hope. He doesnt wear a mask, he doesnt rule by fear. You know damn well, when Superman comes to save the day, he does just that. He is the ULTIMATE hero. How much humor does Batman have? Captain America? Wolverine? Any of the X-men aside from maybe Beast?

Spiderman cant be shot, stabbed, or hit by a car. Have you ever seen that in a comic? No he couldnt roll an ankle. He has super powers. Now if you said Batman, I would let you have that. Ill give you that, Spiderman has more of a personality than Superman. But Spiderman isnt nearly on the scale of Superman, by powers, age, scope or anything.

I just dont see how you can say Superman is boring.