Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Danish Pastry guinea pigs needed  (Read 27078 times)

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
Re: Danish Pastry guinea pigs needed
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »
 :applaud: Thats awesome! How much time did that take you?  :lol
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:09 am »
LOL!  My new desktop photo.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 10:39:18 pm »
Sorry for the dead air.  I tapped out the local almond paste supply and decided to order in bulk online, and it should arrive tomorrow.  I'm doing one or two more trial bakes before I send these out.  In the meantime, here is the plan:
1.  Later tonight or tomorrow I'll send each of you a PM so I can get your address.
2.  I'll have my kid select four of you based on your handle (why not, sounds fun to me) for the first shipment because the batches work in even numbers and I don't want to send it all at once in case something goes wrong.
3.  I'll PM the first wave recipients and also note in the public thread who is getting what.
4.  I want the feedback to be PM only, to protect the integrity of the polling.  Most importantly I'd like a few (or more) free-form sentences about the experience.  From the moment it arrives, the condition of the container, the yummy (or not) part.  What you liked and didn't like, what could be better.  I may ask a few more questions after I get your reply, but initially I don't want a survey.

The second wave will come pending the results of the first wave.  Regardless, you'll all get something.  If I have to tweak something, so be it.  The worst case scenario is it takes a tad longer to get the next batch out.  If all goes well, I'll be ready just a few days after the first shipment.

For this first shipment, I'm going inexpensive with the USPS Priority.  I'm also not going to go nuts on the packaging, so please forgive me.  I have ideas, and know what I'll do when I send to paying customers but for now I just need it to arrive in good shape.

Thanks again for contributing to this venture!

Thoughts?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:23 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:24 pm »
Thoughts?
Yeah, I was hungry like two weeks ago, I'm about to die now.  CAN'T WAIT!   :applaud:

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:02 am »
Thoughts?
Yeah, I was hungry like two weeks ago, I'm about to die now.  CAN'T WAIT!   :applaud:
At the risk of stalking Le Chucky, I'm pretty sure I can follow most of his posts with:

:stupid

Looking forward to this.  Make sure your son/daughter likes "Hoopz" so I get to go in the first group.   ;D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2024, 08:02:46 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:28 am »
Make sure they like "Haruman" :bat

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 11:53:22 am »
Make sure you show them the Forum avatar,
Kids love Zombie plushies!

not to mention that LeChuck and Haruman's avatars are kinda scary to kids, dontcha think??   >:D
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:37 am »
I was thinking the same thing regarding my Avatar pic. Kids love a father smashing a door down with an ax in an attempt to murder his wife and then his kid. I'll be a shoe-in for the first batch.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »
See, I dont even have an avatar picture, so I cant be scary, and all kids like Godzilla right?! So he will see Mikezilla and think "oh man Godzilla is cool, and he has zilla in his name so send him some first!"  :laugh:

Seriously though, I better be in the first batch.  :bat

Man I cant wait for this. As of late, I havent ordered anything on line so I havent even had a reason to check the mail. Im going to be like a kid running to the mail box everyday.  ;D

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:10 am »
Finaly got my almond paste in late yesterday afternoon.  I'll be making my final test batch on Monday.  I got pulled in another direction Friday so I didn't send out the PM's.  I'll do that today.
Thanks!

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
Re: Danish Pastry - DRUM ROLL
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »
Without further ado, here are the first four to receive pastry, in order picked by my daughter.

1.  Nephasth
2.  HaRuMaN
3.  shmokes
4.  Mikezilla

The rest of you, please commence with the hostility.  If it makes you feel any better, my daughter made it clear that her ranking was based solely upon name desirability for her next hamster, should it be a male. :laugh2:  Of course, Dervacumen is named after my cat so at least she gets it honest.

The second group will include:

5.  yotsuya
6.  knave
7.  Rando
8.  Hoopz

The last group will include:

9.  crashwg
10.  Le Chuck

Le Chuck, I don't get it.  I mean, she absolutely LOVED helping me play Monkey Island on the Wii.  I thought you were a shoe-in.

A few of you asked for specific things to think about while garnering and providing feedback.  I'd first say that because it's a layered dough many people expect it to be like puff pastry or croissant dough.  It's really not.  It's dryer than a croissant, and has yeast unlike a puff pastry.  Just take it as it is and let me know what you think about the texture and flavor.

Other things to think about are:
Did it arrive intact?
Did you try it before and after warming?  --> I'll include a note in the package, but pop it in the oven at 350F for about 8 minutes for the best result, though not necessary.
Visuals?  Doneness?  Texture?  Flavor, or Sweetness?
Toppings?
Filling proportions and taste?
What would you pay for it?  For a slice?
I'll likely probe a bit more after I get your initial reactions, and any free form thoughts or reactions are most encouraged.

Thanks everyone.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »
LAST?  Arrrrgh!

I bet if my name was Guybrush I would've been top pick.

Nephasth

Re: Danish Pastry - DRUM ROLL
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
1.  Nephasth
...If it makes you feel any better, my daughter made it clear that her ranking was based solely upon name desirability for her next hamster, should it be a male. :laugh2:

Your daughter has good taste... possibly naming her next hamster after a turn of the century Brazilian Death Metal force! When I think cute and cuddly, first thing that comes to mind is brutal, rip-your-face-off metal. ;D If you let her listen to the music, she may reconisder... :lol

Impatiently waiting for the pastry goodness! :applaud:

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:46 pm »
LAST?  Arrrrgh!

I bet if my name was Guybrush I would've been top pick.
I think if your name was Elaine she might have picked based on her next hamster being a female.  ;)

1.  Nephasth
...If it makes you feel any better, my daughter made it clear that her ranking was based solely upon name desirability for her next hamster, should it be a male. :laugh2:

Your daughter has good taste... possibly naming her next hamster after a turn of the century Brazilian Death Metal force! When I think cute and cuddly, first thing that comes to mind is brutal, rip-your-face-off metal. ;D If you let her listen to the music, she may reconisder... :lol

Impatiently waiting for the pastry goodness! :applaud:

When I think of hamsters and Death Metal, I think of Harry and Flash Gordon who were my hamsters when I was my daughter's age.  Flash did the .. uh .. rip-your-face-off to Harry, literally, who was his dad.  Maybe my kid's channeling my memories.  You just did.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 12:59:28 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:02 pm »

When I think of hamsters and Death Metal, I think of Harry and Flash Gordon who were my hamsters when I was my daughter's age.  Flash did the .. uh .. rip-your-face-off to Harry, literally, who was his dad.  Maybe my kid's channeling my memories.  You just did.

Uh, don't make your kid angry, dude!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 12:35:42 am »
Honestly, as excited as I am to find a gratuitous high-end dessert in my mail soon, finding out your daughter named her hampster shmokes would put a way bigger smile on my face, lol.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:16 am »
Haruman the hamster has a nice ring to it...   :cheers:

Excited to try this out for you!  Thanks!  :)

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:31 pm »
Shmokes is right.  What better award than having a kid name their pet after your avatar?  Man, I'm getting old.

I do hope she forgets this because as cool as shmokes and haruman sound I really want her to name the next hamster Dolphin.  As in, "This is My Hammy, Dolphin."  I've been brainwashing her for a year and a half.  Go FINS!   :D

Another bake goes in today in about 10 minutes.  I have my opinion, can't wait to hear all of yours.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 02:33:09 pm »
Which do you like?  I had a comment about too many almonds, so I reduced the chaos on this one.  I also tried a powdered sugar.  This one is almond/cheese/apricot.  What do you think?

Nephasth

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
I like the look of fewer almonds. Not much of a fan on the powdered sugar (appearance wise). Looks like there was some icing (maybe?) drizzled on the pastries in 82.jpg and 83.jpg in a previous post, I think it would look great on this one (minus the powdered sugar).

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49:05 pm »
I like the almond side. It doesn't hide all the filling and layered, browned pastry. My dessert preferences, though, don't really line up with middle America, so take that with a grain of salt. I go into a place like Applebee's or Chili's or Red Robin, Cheesecake Factory . . . and there's not a single dessert on the menu that I don't find revolting. It's like, you can't just have chocolate cake, it has to be a brownie baked into a chocolate cake, with caramel drizzled over the top, with a scoop of ice cream sandwiched between another brownie-cake layer, all of which covered in molten fudge with a cherry on top. Even cheesecake factory. You'd think a place called cheesecake factory would have . . . like . . . really good cheesecake, but the only one that is even edible is the plain cheesecake with plain strawberry topping, and even then it's a pretty poor cheesecake--but at least edible. All the others are just monsters--they're revolting.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2012, 03:47:48 pm »
I like the look of fewer almonds. Not much of a fan on the powdered sugar (appearance wise). Looks like there was some icing (maybe?) drizzled on the pastries in 82.jpg and 83.jpg in a previous post, I think it would look great on this one (minus the powdered sugar).

I agree.  The original plan calls for icing and almonds.  Kinda funny how you always go back to what works.

I like the almond side. It doesn't hide all the filling and layered, browned pastry. My dessert preferences, though, don't really line up with middle America, so take that with a grain of salt. I go into a place like Applebee's or Chili's or Red Robin, Cheesecake Factory . . . and there's not a single dessert on the menu that I don't find revolting. It's like, you can't just have chocolate cake, it has to be a brownie baked into a chocolate cake, with caramel drizzled over the top, with a scoop of ice cream sandwiched between another brownie-cake layer, all of which covered in molten fudge with a cherry on top. Even cheesecake factory. You'd think a place called cheesecake factory would have . . . like . . . really good cheesecake, but the only one that is even edible is the plain cheesecake with plain strawberry topping, and even then it's a pretty poor cheesecake--but at least edible. All the others are just monsters--they're revolting.

I agree. Most of our food is so bastardized we lose the connection with the essence that made it good in the first place.

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »
Ok I got to this thread late because I have been sick but tell your daughter I said thanks that Im in the first batch!  ;D

Im super stoked about this. I cant wait to get my batch in the mail.

On the Cheesecake Factory topic, Im the same way with dessert, I dont like a ton of crap on it. And being a diabetic, it needs to be really good in order for me to justify eating it, because it causes a spike in my blood sugar. I went to a CF the other day and I wanted the plain cheese cake with the strawberry topping, and they replaced the fresh strawberries with that fake high fructose corn syrup goo ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  :puke I was pissed.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »
I am generally a libertarian but I am a firm believer that federal regulation limiting this use of high fructose corn syrup is long overdue.  It is ridiculously difficult get that stuff out of one's pantry. 

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2012, 01:14:50 pm »
I am generally a libertarian but I am a firm believer that federal regulation limiting this use of high fructose corn syrup is long overdue.  It is ridiculously difficult get that stuff out of one's pantry. 

Living so close to Mexico, we get the Mexican version of Coke, Pepsi, etc in the grocery stores.  Pure sugar goodness, no HFCS.   :cheers:

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2012, 01:20:23 pm »
I am generally a libertarian but I am a firm believer that federal regulation limiting this use of high fructose corn syrup is long overdue.  It is ridiculously difficult get that stuff out of one's pantry.  

Living so close to Mexico, we get the Mexican version of Coke, Pepsi, etc in the grocery stores.  Pure sugar goodness, no HFCS.   :cheers:

It's more just becoming such an issue, especially with higher income shoppers, that retailers are seeing a separate market for it. I buy Mexican Coke from my local Costco in Maryland.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Nephasth

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »
I buy Mexican Coke from my local Costco in Maryland.

But by the time it gets up there, it's likely to have been cut several times. The Coke near the border is of much higher quality...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »

But by the time it gets up there, it's likely to have been cut several times. The Coke near the border is of much higher quality...

:applaud: Well played good sir. 

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

Well, I cant drink Coke like I mentioned before, but man that pisses me off. They use pure cane sugar (mexican coke) at the Coke Store in Disneyland because it tastes so much better. I hate how something we make/invented here tastes better from other countries because what we make for our own people is crap because its cheaper. Thats terrible.  :blowup:

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »
I enjoy eating cakes, cookies and other baked goods. I'd try the pastry, infact I would pay shipping cost. Sorry to be late to the party.
Old, but not obsolete.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:05 pm »

Living so close to Mexico, we get the Mexican version of Coke, Pepsi, etc in the grocery stores.  Pure sugar goodness, no HFCS.   :cheers:

It's more just becoming such an issue, especially with higher income shoppers, that retailers are seeing a separate market for it. I buy Mexican Coke from my local Costco in Maryland.

You really should tweak that, being a lawyer and all.  You're talking about the store, not the parking lot, right?

Well, I cant drink Coke like I mentioned before, but man that pisses me off. They use pure cane sugar (mexican coke) at the Coke Store in Disneyland because it tastes so much better. I hate how something we make/invented here tastes better from other countries because what we make for our own people is crap because its cheaper. Thats terrible.  :blowup:

No corn syrup in these pastries.   ;)

I enjoy eating cakes, cookies and other baked goods. I'd try the pastry, infact I would pay shipping cost. Sorry to be late to the party.

Keep an eye on this thread because I may need two more testers, er, testimonials.  Vigo volunteered for the next round and he doesn't even know he's a potential tester unless he's reading this.  You would fill out the group.  No paying for shipping, but I thank everyone for their offers.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »
I guess I'm playing the waiting game now.  The first group has pastry in the mail.  I did say you were all guinea pigs, right? :)

I intended to include a one page note but I forgot to include it so here it is:

[name] ,
Thank you for participating in the first road test of Hollister's Own fine Danish Pastry.  The original recipe was a classic almond paste ring, perfected over 30 years and served to countless friends during the holidays.  The addition of homemade fruit fillings is a relatively new process.
Please try a piece before heating so you can compare the results to a reheated pastry.  If you feel like snapping a photo so I can see what damage if any occurred during shipping that would be welcome.
To reheat:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Put ring directly on a cookie sheet and heat for about 8 - 12 minutes.
Enjoy!
This pastry has a shelf life of about a week and you can keep it on the counter at room temperature or in the refrigerator.  Keep loosely covered with aluminum foil or wax paper.  For best results don't put it in a plastic bag, as the pastry will get soggy .  You can also freeze portions for up to two months by securely wrapping it in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.  To reheat frozen pastry, remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature until defrosted, about 3 hours.  Proceed with reheating instructions above.
Thanks!

Here are some pictures.  I don't know how or if it's even possible to attach photos to PM's.  Anyway, these are good for all to see.

The group is shown in pic 20, and all of these are before I added icing and sliced almonds.  I forgot to take pictures of the final product.

Nephasth / HaRuMaN both chose the same - Cherry / Almond.  See pics 1, 3, 21.
shmokes chose Almond, Apricot, Cheese.  See pics 17, 12.
Mikezilla chose Almond, Apricot.  See pics 14, 16.

I hope these translate well.  Honest feedback is welcome.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »
The last time I stared at a set of pics that long there was a less than fully clothed girl in them.  Those look amazing, can't wait for my turn... at the end... after almost everyone else... so sad...

Nephasth

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
 :drool

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
Oh my god those look exquisite. I can not WAIT to give you some feed back!  :cheers:

Dervacumen, youre in California right?! Am I going to be the first one to get to try one of these glorious pastries?!?!  :drool

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »
Oh my god those look exquisite. I can not WAIT to give you some feed back!  :cheers:

Dervacumen, youre in California right?! Am I going to be the first one to get to try one of these glorious pastries?!?!  :drool

You should get yours very soon since you're only about 7 hours away by car.  I'm near the Bay Area in CA.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

You should get yours very soon since you're only about 7 hours away by car.  I'm near the Bay Area in CA.

Hmmm...If these didn't HAVE to go in the mail...I'd offer to drive over and pick them up...Plus it would be fun to jump the list...that and offer some cool hamster names too... :lol

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »

Hmmm...If these didn't HAVE to go in the mail...I'd offer to drive over and pick them up...Plus it would be fun to jump the list...that and offer some cool hamster names too... :lol

14 hours round trip and $250+ in gas for a pastry?  I'm hard core but damn. 

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »

If you want to come by I would be happy to bake you a fresh pastry.  I'm still a good couple of hours from you and once you get here, it's not like there are alternatives unless you enjoy off road activities.  Or we could play a few games.  That's always welcome, too.

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:22 am »

Sweet!  8) :cheers: