Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME on the xbox  (Read 4300 times)

eightbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
MAME on the xbox
« on: September 22, 2003, 09:07:19 am »
Well I finally got around to installing mame on my xbox and it works beautifully! Much better than I had anticipated. The xbox controller has to go though. That thing is awefull for arcade games. I've been playing other emulators like nintendo, colecovision, PS1 and the controls were fine. Of course nintendo and PS1 used similar controls. Maybe I'm just spoiled since I normally play games that required a 4 way stick with a 4 way stick and most of the roms I play tested with were 4 way stick games because thats what I like. I suppose a better test would have been to load up some 270 deg. driving games or games that used analog controls.

Has anyone here interfaced arcade controls to their xbox yet? X-arcades interfaces look interesting and the price isn't so bad untill you factor in the cost of the adapters. Is there anyone else making an interface yet? I know I can hack a gamepad, I was just wondering what other options might be available.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
Re:MAME on the xbox
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 04:41:21 pm »
You might wanna take a look at this: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801689

I've seen them in stores and they feel pretty damn good. I'm sure they're nothing more than an xbox controller innards with arcade-like controls, but it should serve the purpose fairly well.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 08:23:15 am »
You might wanna take a look at this: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801689

I've seen them in stores and they feel pretty damn good. I'm sure they're nothing more than an xbox controller innards with arcade-like controls, but it should serve the purpose fairly well.
I'm not a fan of pelican controls I bought some that I had to return. I might check this stick out but I'll probably just build one. I can build 2 for the cost of that one.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 08:22:30 pm »
I can tell you ahead of time, I went to a local electroincs store to test out all of the xbox "arcade" controls for use with my hacked box.  They all sucked.  Hack a pad and make your own, you'll be much happier with it.  Even if you use the cheaper xarcade kits for controls (A mere 20 bucks for a 2 player kit I believe) you'll still have a much higher quality stick then what they are selling.  

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 02:16:01 pm »
I can tell you ahead of time, I went to a local electroincs store to test out all of the xbox "arcade" controls for use with my hacked box.  They all sucked.  Hack a pad and make your own, you'll be much happier with it.  Even if you use the cheaper xarcade kits for controls (A mere 20 bucks for a 2 player kit I believe) you'll still have a much higher quality stick then what they are selling.  
I have some Happs supers that I want to use. I don't like the x-arcade sticks and buttons. I'm not trying to get by on the cheap. What I'm looking for is if anyone other than x-arcade was making an interface. X-arcades is interesting and isn't priced bad if you wanted the flexibility that you get with the adapters.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 03:07:12 pm »
the x arcade adapter built for the xbox has an awful delay that lots of people at shoryuken complain about. Stick with hacking regular controllers and joysticks.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 03:16:05 pm »
the x arcade adapter built for the xbox has an awful delay that lots of people at shoryuken complain about. Stick with hacking regular controllers and joysticks.
Thanks for the info on that. I wasn't going to use the x-arcade in this project since I'm only looking to hook these controls to an xbox and not an xbox and a pc but that is really good information to know for future reference.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 01:09:18 am »
hey, so you have to have a modchip to run mame on there?

What version are they on btw?
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 09:52:25 am »
hey, so you have to have a modchip to run mame on there?
No you don't have to, you can do it without a modchip utilizing one of several exploits.

What version are they on btw?
Depends on which version of the emulator you use but most of them update everytime mame updates. They usually follow right behind the normal releases.