Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Skill Crane  (Read 12473 times)

BusyChild04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2012, 10:04:22 pm
New Skill Crane
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:34:47 am »
Hi. I'm new here. I've always had a fascination with claw machines. All types. Ever since I was a kid. After spending $10 every time I see one I decided that it was time to start collecting them. Been lurking and admiring at some projects I've seen on here.

Living in south Texas its kinda hard for me to find machines. Or maybe I'm not looking correctly. But Ive finally managed to find this Greyhound Skill Crane. The guy sold me 2. One that works and one that doesnt. The one that doesn't has most mechanisms and is missing a few parts. The one that works is joystick. The other is button. Here is the one I got. I couldn't go for a fancy one. Being a teacher I'm always on some kind of budget.

(And please excuse the decorations. I decided to put my New England Patriots Cheerleader calender in the back)

Everything works...kinda. The bill collector spits out the bills. But thats not too much of a priority for me. But also for the past 24 hours it's been having the problem of it not wanting to move left when the joystick is moved. It moved in every other direction correctly but left. Sometimes it moves to the left fine, sometimes it slightly moves, sometimes doesn't move to the left at all. It returns to the home position correctly. The one that doesn't work used to have the joystick and this one had the buttons. All he did was switch them. There is a click when you move the joystick in any of the 4 directions. Any idea of what it could be? Do i need a new joystick? Also any advice/tips I should know about these machines. Do's and dont's. I appreciate any help and advice on this issue or claw machine/arcade machine collecting.

Here are some pictures of the joystick machinery and the "guts" of the machine.

I didnt buy it from a high end seller. This electrician needed cash. Again, being a teacher I needed something cheap. Maybe you all can spot something odd or that needs some attention. Another question: My claw grips good. Too good. How can I change that? I don't want to fiddle with stuff without knowing what it is.

Thanks a lot.

notroubleclubber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2023, 04:26:25 pm
Re: New Skill Crane
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:25:53 am »
Looks like a standard joystick button for me.
Easiest thing is move the joystick to theleft and u will see which switch is beige pressed(normally it's the opposite side ie, joystick left is right switch)
Then just unscrew the switch and pull of the connectors and replace.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:43 am »
i noticed the tabs are bent way over on one switch, i'm not sure what angle it was taken from but if the orange wood is towards the rear and the bare wood is to the front, it's the switch responsible for left. (it's on right in photo)

The connector tabs are bent over, this often places the contact out of alignment with the moving portion of the switch so it doesn't contact properly... you can try bending it straight again, but if you have a switch, you can replace it, it looks like a single screw, switch the connectors onto the new switch, then screw it back down.

it's also not uncommon for switches to just go bad. even though it clicks, there is oxidation build-up on the contact, and it doesn't work 100% any more. too much resistance and the computer in the machine just ignores the switch press.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »
You might want to check the wiring harness inside the cabinet going up to the claw carriage. Open the front so you can reach in there. While holding the joystick to the left wiggle the coiled harness. If it twitches and makes it go on-off left, check the harness for breaking wires.

The claw strength is adjusted by the two dials on the "claw power board".
You should only need to adjust the front dial (nearest to you) counterclockwise if it is too strong.

Did you get any manuals of any kind with your machines?
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:15 pm »
I straightened the bent "prongs". It does seem to be running a bit better. only very few hiccups. Still stutters a bit. It didnt come with a manual but I did find the original grayhound manual online. I really want to learn this machine inside and out so I don't have to pay somebody to come check it out but don't want to mess something up. But if I'm gonna collect these I gotta learn them

Mac Green

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2017, 12:03:59 am
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »
The claw strength? use the two potentiometers to adjust the claw strength and how fast the claw closes  EDIT: DOH I didnt see Kevin Mullins post!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:58:46 am by Mac Green »

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »
It didnt come with a manual but I did find the original grayhound manual online.

Got a link to which one you found?
Curious if it's I have posted in the past....if not I can send ya some stuff. Most copies are pretty bad, but have some useful information in them.

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:58 pm »
What part of So. TX?

I've got a Clean Sweep 5th gen I'm looking to get rid of. It needs a motor, which I have, but not installed yet. I replaced it with an auto percentage crane.

Crane is free for the taking in Corpus Christi. Must pick up off location that's only open on weekends.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »
I'm in Laredo.this greyhound I picked up outside of san antonio.I don't mind traveling a couple of hours for one.

As for the manual Ill find the link. It's in a PDF format.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »
http://www.noiselandarcade.net/index.php/downloads/

This is the website where I got the manual from. I have another one thats longer and better but can't seem to find the link. i just have it downloaded.

Mac Green

• Offline Offline

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »
http://www.noiselandarcade.net/index.php/downloads/

This is the website where I got the manual from. I have another one thats longer and better but can't seem to find the link. i just have it downloaded.

Yup, seen those bits before.
Shoot me a regular e-mail and I can send ya what little I have on the older Grayhound cranes.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:34 pm »
What part of So. TX?

I've got a Clean Sweep 5th gen I'm looking to get rid of. It needs a motor, which I have, but not installed yet. I replaced it with an auto percentage crane.

Crane is free for the taking in Corpus Christi. Must pick up off location that's only open on weekends.

I wouldn't mind going to corpus to take that off your hands. Send me a message with info.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:06:41 pm »
So today I got home and powered on the skill crane. I decided to have a little fun and play a bit. Started fine and all. But when I push the button to drop the claw it doesn't even go down 1 inch and quickly goes back up and returns home. The claw doesn't even close. When I play again the digits on the counters read random numbers during every play. One play it says I have 34 credits with 60 seconds then the next time it displays another set of random digits. It was working perfectly fine yesterday. Any idea what may be going on?

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »
Hmmm... that's could be a combination of things.
Start by measuring the voltage on the black power supply in the back there. (5v, 12v, etc)

Can you gently pull the claw down to the bottom?

What all numbers does the digits display when you first turn on the machine?

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:49 pm »
I can't pull it down. Won't let me. the numbers are 06/02 - 19/87. So I just left it on and forgot about it. Just right now I added some credits and it works fine. I turned it off and back on and worked fine again. Glitch?

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:26 am »
the numbers are 06/02 - 19/87.

Well that's normal, just the revision and date codes....... so no error codes are showing up. (good thing)

So I just left it on and forgot about it. Just right now I added some credits and it works fine. I turned it off and back on and worked fine again. Glitch?

Could have just been a glitch.
Maybe double check all connections and such are seated good.
I guess if it continues to happen then start with the power supply and go from there.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »
This morning out of curiosity I turned it on and put in a few credits. And the problem came back. First time the claw went down but didn't close and returned. Then the random credits and time limit happened. So the problem came back. Gonna check the power supply when I get back.

Mac Green

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:55 pm »
If the power supply still has problems you may need a new board but that's a last resort like kevin said try the connectors

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »
So I tried fiddling with it today but have no idea where to start or what is what. I disconnected a few things to find out what controls what. I just couldn't find an answer. I took video and pictures of whats happening to see if any of you all can help me out. Also, I bought a multimeter but have no idea what to measure. I feel like a complete dolt  :dizzy:  I appreciate any help I get.

I found two green wires, one from the board one from a cluster of connectors, linked together by just being twisted together.
Picture is below.

Link to the video:

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:45 am »
Definitely start with checking the DC power supply, black box in your first pic.
Set your meter to DC voltage, black lead on ground (GND), red lead on +12v,  and then +5v to see what each of those reads.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »
After measuring the DC power the 12v reads at 13.64 and the 5v reads at 6.04. I've also noticed this: when the claw was out of place when I turned it on, it would automatically return to the home position. Now it just stays where it is once turned on.

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »
On the topic of claw grip, there should be either a little box inside the crane or some screws on the claw itself that can fix that.  I wish I could get finds like this...
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »
After measuring the DC power the 12v reads at 13.64 and the 5v reads at 6.04.

A bit high.... will the white knob on the power supply turn down any?
That knob only controls the 5v, but the 12v should come down in relationship to the 5v adjustment.

You may also try re-seating any of the "socketed" chips on the main boards. Sometimes just pushing them in a bit helps, sometimes you have to gently remove them and then re-insert them. If you take any all the way out be sure to note which way they are orientated, do not put any in backwards/upside down, it will fry them.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
So I decided to just switch out the board with an extra one that I had from another machine to see what happens. Now the claw goes down and up normally with normal closing. It returns back towards the player but the claw doesn't go over the prize chute. Also doesn't move left at all during play. I checked all wires on the power unit and everything is fine. I did notice an unused green wire coming from the bundle of wires that comes from the claw harness. It's always been like that from what I remember.

After tweeking with the white knob I lowered the 5v to 5.35 and the 12v to 12.42.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:52 pm »
Voltage is fine.

If you move the claw to the center of the machine by hand and then turn it on...does it go to the home position? (above prize chute)

When you try to move left during game play .... can you feel the relay on the relay board kicking in for left?

Not sure about the green wire without glancing at the schematics....could just be an extra ground.

knohbody

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 11:49:53 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
Sounds to me like there's a limit switch that's either stuck or miswired on the far left of the gantry. Check and see if there's one there.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
No. The claw doesn't return to the home position. It just returns towards the player but the claw doesn't move.

When I move the joystick to the left I just hear a click from the switches and thats it

knohbody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
I couldn't find a manual for your specific game, but what usually happens is there's a couple of switches that tell the machine where home position is. If one of these is stuck, it won't move to home position because it thinks it's already over there. Can you post pictures of the gantry?

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »
Does sound kinda like the left-most limit switch doesn't it?

Note the position of all of your dipswitches before doing this so you can later set it back to the same settings.

With the machine OFF - flip all of the dipswitches to the off position except #8 - then turn the machine ON - leave #8 on and also flip #2 on - does the SECONDS led display show any numbers in it?

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »
 Left side
 Left side
 Left side
 Right Side

knohbody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:12 am »
It doesn't look like any of the buttons are physically stuck. I would venture that either one of them is physically worn out, in which case i would replace all of them, or the harness to the gantry has a pinched/broken wire, in which case you'll have to check continuity for each wire, then replace/repair the wire.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:52 pm »
I ordered 4 buttons. Should be coming in wed-thursday. I have a feeling it might be that. If not I gotta trace all the wires.

knohbody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:06 pm »
Cool. Keep us posted.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:01 pm »
Were you able to run the switch test like I described?
It'll tell you if one is stuck closed or not. (the left limit switch is suspect)

There is also an input switch test that will also tell if they are working by watching them switch on and off on the digit displays.
All of the test options are listed in some of the documentation I sent ya. Check in the Candy Shop manual.

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »
It starts a countdown and then the seconds display stops at 11 and stays there. The claw keeps trying to move to the right evenw hen reaching it's limit and the motor just keeps going

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »
So I installed the new button. No results. Does the same thing. Doesn't go left and doesn't return to the home position.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »
Run through those switch/input tests again.
The one you described earlier almost sounded like the carriage test and not one of the switch tests.

Hardest part to diagnose (especially via internet) is whether it's an electronic fault (ie circuit boards) or a mechanical fault (ie wiring, etc).
One of the most common mechanical faults is in the wiring harness that goes from the carriage assembly down to the circuit boards. If you get a chance, you may want to Ohm that harness out from one end to the other just to eliminate it as a possibility. Just to be certain there's not a broken wire somewhere from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:23:24 pm by Kevin Mullins »

BusyChild04

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »
OK. Ill check that today after work. I think I'm going to switch out another board (the one with the dip switches) today for another spare I have. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:51 pm »
So you have a main board that does NOT have the dipswitches?