Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GGG - Novagems and 3/4 plywood (warning)  (Read 6695 times)

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
GGG - Novagems and 3/4 plywood (warning)
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »
Just FYI the Novagem Coin Door Replacements from Groovy Game Gear has a threaded shaft that is listed on the website as .937" long, but the removable body component and the fact that the threads on the nut are near the end makes it impossible to get a tight fit when installing into a 3/4" panel.  If you need to install these on a 3/4 panel you will need to cut out a pocket (pictured below), remove the body component, and flush mount the novagem (which looks better anyways). 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:04:40 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: GGG - Novagems and 3/4 plywood (warning)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:25:41 pm »
Just FYI the Novagem Coin Door Replacements from Groovy Game Gear has a threaded shaft that is listed on the website as .937" long, but the removable body component and the fact that the threads on the nut are near the end makes it impossible to get a tight fit when installing into a 3/4" panel.  If you need to install these on a 3/4 panel you will need to cut out a pocket (pictured below), remove the body component, and flush mount the novagem (which looks better anyways).  

There's nothing wrong with the way you show, but it's not necessary to do this.  You only need to use a 1 3/8" (or larger) spade drill to make a 1/4" or so deep pocket in the back of the panel for the nut.  Then it can be surface mounted on the other side.

RandyT

cmoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »
Sorry to dig up a old thread but this was the only one on here that I saw that had a good picture of what I wanted.

I recently purchased a NovaGemCDR from Groovy Game Gear.  I am looking to fill a hole in a cocktail cabinet that I think was a power or credit button at one point.  I have filled in the hole to make the task easier, since the hole was not the right size anyway.  I would like to flush mount my button like Unstupid did. 

I have a couple of questions.  The hole for the post is listed as .925", what would be the best drill bit for this? 15/16" is a little bigger than that, so go smaller and sand it out?  Seems like a very tight circle to cut with a jigsaw. 

Also wanting to know the best way to cut out the recess.  I have a roto saw and cutting bit and was thinking this might be a good way to go.  Any thought on the idea would be appreciated.

Desdinova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2014, 01:35:47 pm
  • Eldritch and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:51:41 pm »
I used a plunge router to flush mount these type of low pro buttons and bore out any type of odd shaped hole.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:56:52 pm by Desdinova »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:42:29 am »
For the hole for the post to go through, use a paddle bit of the same size.

for the recess, you want that clean, use a router and properly jig it for straight lines.