Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTB: Skee Ball parts and balls (Ann Arbor, MI)  (Read 8044 times)

Entropy42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2023, 11:27:44 pm
  • Not a llama.
WTB: Skee Ball parts and balls (Ann Arbor, MI)
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:13:43 am »
I recently bought 2 Skee Ball machines, and probably paid too much for them given how much stuff they are missing.  I've decided to just forget about the electronics and put a computer in, like ThatPurpleStuff did in his build, but I'm missing a few key physical components and starting to search for them.  I'm pretty sure the machine isn't made by Skee Ball Inc, so their stuff may not fit, and is also pretty pricey for something that's just a basement arcade.

Anyway, I'm looking for:
- 6 wooden Skee Ball balls (used is fine)
- Ticket door/cover (don't care about dispensing tickets, but need something to fill the gaping hole on the left side of the machine)
- 2 sets of Target area netting/supports (could probably make the netting, but the cage will be harder)
- 1 Netting support clip
- 2 set of 100 point holes (would be nice to add these to the target areas at some point)

I've attached pictures of all of these things so people can see what I'm talking about.  One of the machines had most of this stuff already, so I took pictures of what the other one needs.  Don't have a picture of the target area netting cage, since both are missing, but I took a picture of the target area (and my cat), since my research has indicated that stuff on the internet gets more attention if it contains pictures of cats.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:13:16 pm by Entropy42 »

ds015882

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2014, 12:11:32 pm
Re: WTB: Skee Ball parts and balls (Ann Arbor, MI)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:26 am »
I just recently restored a skeeball machine. I had a lot of luck going through this guy on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/greatcoinopgames/ Seem to be the only guy who sells skeeball parts on ebay. Might message him if you don't see what you are looking for

A little tip on the balls. I went to a woodshop and picked up 3 inch (skeeball size) wood balls for $2 each. Way cheaper then anything I could find. They work just fine IMO

Entropy42

• Offline Offline
  • Not a llama.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I've seen that guy on Ebay, but I don't think he has anything I'm looking for (other than fairly expensive new Skee Balls).  If I can't find anything through this forum I'll contact him to see if he can find what I'm missing.

I've also seen the wood balls online (though not for $2).  My brown composite Skee Balls are about 3 1/8" diameter and have a weight of 220g per ball (for a density of about 845 g/cc).  The closest common hardwood is maple at about 750 g/cc, birch is common in 3" balls online, but is only about 650 g/cc.  So I imagine birch balls should feel a lot lighter than regular skeeballs. 

Nephasth

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »
I've had a couple skeeball machines since June. Out of 18 balls, only about 6 or 7 were in good shape. I've been actively looking for decent balls since I got the machines, almost daily. I found 2 from a guy on KLOV a while ago, and just recently found a whole set of nice original balls on ebay with a starting bid of $20, shot the guy an offer to close the auction early and got them for less than half of what you see the other sets on ebay going for. Your search might take a while, skeeball parts aren't fairly common, and are usually expensive. If you need switches, go over to arcadeshop.de, even with currency conversion and shipping from europe, they're cheaper than what you can find in the states.

Entropy42

• Offline Offline
  • Not a llama.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »
I'm not sure if any of the 3 I have would qualify as being in "good" shape.  If you decide to get rid of your old balls, lemme know.  In the meantime I'll just be trolling the internet looking for a deal like you just got.

Nephasth

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »
For used skeeballs, yours are pretty damn good. A lot of mine have grooves chipped out of them. This happened from the bumpers inside the rings being worn down to the metal. I just got a package in the mail today from the ebay guy that was mentioned, two sets of bumpers. These will help save the balls in good condition. If you need bumpers, don't buy from him. You can probably get them cheaper from a hardware store. Pretty sure all he did was get rubber feet, like on the bottom of guitar amps and some furniture, and put a cotter pin through the mounting hole of them.

Entropy42

• Offline Offline
  • Not a llama.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:09:14 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go check my bumpers to make sure they aren't going to screw up the balls.  I think they are in mostly in good shape, but I know one of them is pretty worn on one side.  Of course, if they are screwed up, that guy was the only place I knew of to get new ones :)  Guess I know to just make my own.

Nephasth

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »
Installed a set of the bumpers today, they work pretty good. I got to looking around, and these are really close to what I received, and at a fraction of the price I paid. All you would need are the cotter pins and little washers, which can be found cheap locally.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:08 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:01:59 pm »
I've also seen the wood balls online (though not for $2).  My brown composite Skee Balls are about 3 1/8" diameter and have a weight of 220g per ball (for a density of about 845 g/cc).  The closest common hardwood is maple at about 750 g/cc, birch is common in 3" balls online, but is only about 650 g/cc.  So I imagine birch balls should feel a lot lighter than regular skeeballs. 

You are right on about that.  I bought a bunch of wooden balls a while back with similar intentions.  Even after staining, they were much lighter than the real balls, and roundness was not up to the same standard.

I know you are looking for wood, but I have a some nice 3" nylon balls, (if I can find them) much like those used in the "ICE" skeeball machines.  Good weight, and perfectly round.  Might be something to consider.  If you change your mind about the ball type, send me an email and I'll make you a deal on them.

RandyT