Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Remap esc key in MAME?  (Read 17625 times)

Sean McLachlan

• Trade Count: (0)
Remap esc key in MAME?
« on: June 19, 2002, 06:27:30 pm »
About 9 months ago when I built my MAME cocktail cab, I had a button on the cpo that would close MAME and ArcadeOS.  I am almost certain I changed something in the mame.cfg file to remap this key, I just chaged something like

quit=esc
to
quit=v
(v was the key the button generated on the IPAC.)

About 6 months ago I lost the HD and it sat for a while till I got motivated again.  I loaded up MAME 6.0 and now I can't find the setting.  I can still get ArcadeOS to close by changing a setting.  For a while I was booting up WIN95 with no GUI and using the WIN version of MAME, but I decided to go to DOS 6.22 this time.  Is changing the key MAME uses to close only supported in the windows version?  I really liked having a button labeled "escape" that stopped the game and kicked me back to ArcadeOS.  I am using an IPAC, so I don't have the option of hard wiring an esc key to the button.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re: Remap esc key in MAME?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 06:46:42 pm »
About 9 months ago when I built my MAME cocktail cab, I had a button on the cpo that would close MAME and ArcadeOS.  I am almost certain I changed something in the mame.cfg file to remap this key, I just chaged something like

quit=esc
to
quit=v
(v was the key the button generated on the IPAC.)

About 6 months ago I lost the HD and it sat for a while till I got motivated again.  I loaded up MAME 6.0 and now I can't find the setting.  I can still get ArcadeOS to close by changing a setting.  For a while I was booting up WIN95 with no GUI and using the WIN version of MAME, but I decided to go to DOS 6.22 this time.  Is changing the key MAME uses to close only supported in the windows version?  I really liked having a button labeled "escape" that stopped the game and kicked me back to ArcadeOS.  I am using an IPAC, so I don't have the option of hard wiring an esc key to the button.

Start a game, press the [tab] button, and select "Input (general)" in the menu list.  Change "UI Cancel" to the key you want to use instead.

Also, IPAC default settings is that pressing player1 start and player2 start at the same time send the esc key, if you want to use it instead of remapping UI Cancel.  Personally, I don't like this "feature", and would do the change I listed above.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Sean McLachlan

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 12:23:10 pm »
I didn't like having to use the "Start1+Start2" feature either.  But I did as you suggested and it works beautifully.  The biggest reason I wanted it changed is I made a custom CPO gaphic (based on Ms.PacMan's graphics) and I had a button labled "Escape" that didn't do anything.  Now it works and all is well.   Thank you.

Bambam1963

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:20:02 am »
Still a life saver after 12 years.  Could not remember how to remap the Escape key when I re-jigged my CP.
Thanks if you are still out there.  ;)
I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

Leader98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2014, 05:05:37 am
  • Arcade dude
    • Terminator 2 Arcade Machine
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:03:35 am »
Yup, saved my project here as well!
Thank you!

But how can I make this change a permanent one??
Arcadeos seems to forget my changes after a reboot...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:06:19 am by Leader98 »

cliff clavin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2018, 03:12:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:46:46 pm »
Old thread but just helped me as well.  Thanks op