Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mounting control panel artwork to MDF with no plexi  (Read 3059 times)

2panther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 04:02:12 pm
Mounting control panel artwork to MDF with no plexi
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:50 am »
My artwork is almost done and I've been looking into how to mount the actual artwork to the CP. I know that in cabinets that are using plexi on top of the artwork is usually just held in place by the pushbuttons and joysticks. In my case I'm going for the no plexi look like SFII and other cabs had.

Here is the steps from GameOnGrafix site
The Control panel/Sideart will not stick well to bare MDF. Always ensure that the receiving substrate is thoroughly cleaned, free of dust, dirt or cleaner residues. Wood surfaces should be painted with latex/oil paint containing no waxes or silicones. Allow the paint to dry for 48hr or more in a humid environment. Poor surface conditions will cause adhesion loss or failure. Make sure to let the paint cure for a couple of days to let it "gas out" otherwise the gas could push the vinyl off, and you can get a bubble affect under the vinyl down the road. Installation Te c h n i q u e s : Proper contact of the adhesive to the mounting substrate is critical, and maximum pressure should be used to install the vinyl. If insufficient pressure is used during the install, the edges of the vinyl can lift. It is recommended that water not be used during the installation but if it is used, use minimal amounts. All water must be squeegeed out from under vinyl. If liquid soap is added to the water to increase the ease of installation, use only one drop per gallon of water. Soap must not contain moisturizer. Do not use heat guns to install vinyl. Material should not be stretched during installation. It is a calendered vinyl, and it will shrink back to original size, which might cause edges to lift or create gaps between panels Here is a video of someone installing our sideart:

Will priming and painting the CP be enough or should I be using some spray adhesive to help it stick down? Also the polycarbonite laminate will hold up to normal abuse?

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread that showed off someones CPO that is the same material as I will be ordering from GameOnGrafix but I couldn't find it.

jggamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2012, 08:40:25 pm
Re: Mounting control panel artwork to MDF with no plexi
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:47:12 am »
Still new to all this, but, I installed my artwork on the side of my cab over the weekend and it has stuck fine, I started out with plain cabinet plywood, then 3 coats of black polyshade and the vinyl is sticking strong and shows no signs of giving, so I would think if you prime and get a good layer of paint you may be just fine.  Again though I am new and some of the senior members may have better information and/or experience.

tsaylor

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2019, 05:16:20 pm
Re: Mounting control panel artwork to MDF with no plexi
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:55 am »
Fairly new here as well, but I just received my control panel art from Basement Arcade Grafx and installed it on painted MDF (actually I think mine was called HDF, as the material I used is higher density).  I just painted and lightly sanded and then later applied the art.  The adhesive backing didn't seem super-sticky, but after applying it, it seems to be holding well.  Definitely the buttons/etc will hold it in place so the only worry is the edges.  So far, so good.  Mine was printed on vinyl laminate, which is not as tough as the polycarb laminate but it still seems pretty durable to me (enough for home use anyway).

It's looking great, but I can't speak to the long term durability since my project isn't even finished yet.  Getting there...