Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grounding problem!  (Read 1073 times)

1Spoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2007, 03:07:47 pm
  • Cocktail projekt going on..
Grounding problem!
« on: September 15, 2003, 11:06:37 am »
Hi all you profesionals in arcadebuilding!

I have just put my mame-pc in my cocktailcab and have problems with the ground..
I currently haqve 16V between chassi-ground and the chassi of the PC.

..and 23V between the chassi-ground and my radiator ("real ground")

I know I

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re:Grounding problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 11:11:06 am »
using metal in a cab for 'real ground' isn't that good.  I would just use the wall plug and no ground... and if you have a problem, ground the plug.

Why?

Ground is suppost to be an endless ground.  It won't be unless you have a place where the ground goes... It does 'fill up'.  This can cause problems that show up after a few hours.

I had this problem (not with comptuers but with a music keyboard) that required a ground... I lived on the side of a mountain what didn't have any real grounds (no matter what because the water level was 3000 feet below us).  And so it would work for a bit... then quit.

But the computer should work by itself... not connected to anything other then the wall.  Same with the monitor (if it's a real arcade monitor).  

If you have problems beyond this, consider adding a real ground to that wall plug..

1Spoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2007, 03:07:47 pm
  • Cocktail projekt going on..
Re:Grounding problem!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 04:36:27 pm »
But the computer should work by itself... not connected to anything other then the wall.  Same with the monitor (if it's a real arcade monitor).  

If you have problems beyond this, consider adding a real ground to that wall plug..
Thanks Lilwolf,
It