Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: YABBSE OR PHPBB?  (Read 14314 times)

Analog-X

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2018, 11:02:35 pm
  • Hail to the king, baby.
YABBSE OR PHPBB?
« on: September 12, 2003, 11:51:38 am »
When I finally get off my duff and get my website going, I would like to have forums, not to compete with this excellent one ofcourse but because I miss being a Sysop and running a BBS.  The youngsters in here wont know what that is :)

I cant make up my mind if I want to run YABBSE or PHPBB.   PHPBB has a lot of nice mods where yabbse is stuck in one color scheme.

They both have some features that I like that the other is missing.

Also what is the bandwidth generated by Yabbse vs PHPBB?

What version is arcadecontrols.org running? have you upgraded to the latest version?

just curious.
Ash: Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with ... molecular structures.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re:YABBSE OR PHPBB?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 12:38:35 pm »
My wife is using YabbSE on her website.  I can't comment on the bandwidth, but it sure was easy to set up.

And I know that if you don't like the color scheme you can change it.

TheGatesofBill

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:07:04 am
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 11:28:05 pm »
I can't say on the bandwidth, I have no way of measuring and my site has (well, had before I toasted it) unlimited bandwidth. I personally use phpBB, but more out of habit than anything else. A couple of my friends use Ikonboards, and they refuse to even try anything else. Basically it all boils down to personal preference.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:07:30 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 11:45:13 pm »
YabbSE, latest version.  Bandwidth on yabbse much improved over yabb, can't compare to phpbb.  

Here are the bandwidth stats from arcadecontrols.org, which is 99% devoted just to the message boards (specifically so I can compare bandwidth and stats on message board to the rest of the site on the .com side of things).

Ignore the months of July and August - log files filled up mid July and I didn't notice till mid August, so those months' stats are off.

As a comparison, here are the stats for the .com side of things.

--- saint

When I finally get off my duff and get my website going, I would like to have forums, not to compete with this excellent one ofcourse but because I miss being a Sysop and running a BBS.  The youngsters in here wont know what that is :)

I cant make up my mind if I want to run YABBSE or PHPBB.   PHPBB has a lot of nice mods where yabbse is stuck in one color scheme.

They both have some features that I like that the other is missing.

Also what is the bandwidth generated by Yabbse vs PHPBB?

What version is arcadecontrols.org running? have you upgraded to the latest version?

just curious.

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Inaba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2004, 01:58:48 pm
  • Secret Squirrel
    • Cazic Thule Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 12:57:58 pm »
This is the only site I've ever used Yabbse on...

After using it for awhile and trying to give it a fair chance, I've come to the conclusion I don't like it. At all.  It feels like really ancient software to me.

Then again, I'm pretty partial to vBulletin over phpBB, but if the choice is between Yabbse and phpBB, my vote would definitely be phpBB.  It just feels more complete and slick, like a well designed tool, whereas Yabbse seems more like a toy.  

This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth :)

gndprx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2014, 11:25:49 am
  • nope...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 02:18:10 pm »

Just an FYI, yabbSE is not stuck in a particular color scheme.  It's all css driven and you can customize the colors, graphics, style to blend seamlessly with your site.

I'm using yabbSE on my site, but I've just been too lazy to change the default color scheme yet.  But bandwidth over the old YaBB Gold is night and day better.  And yes, setup and administration is a snap.
There are lots of mods for yabbse, but not quite as many as the old yabb gold yet.

I can't comment on phpBB though.  From an end user standpoint, it's all just a matter of how easy the board is to navigate.

Just my $.02 :)