Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME not remembering "pixel aspect".. what am I missing?  (Read 3763 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
MAME not remembering "pixel aspect".. what am I missing?
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »
OK, if I use the tab menu to change a game's display to "pixel aspect", the next time I run it, it remembers, but the second time and on from there, it goes back to "standard", which pushes past the edges of my screen. If I change "view" to "Pixel Aspect (" in the .ini, ir remembers, but then it forces games with overlays (super breakout, gee bee, etc) into black and white (out of overlay view).

Any thoughts on why the pixel aspect option is getting forgotten (or overwritten)? I am sure I am missing something obvious. I am trying standard mame 142 with a no nag patch, default settings. Setting is forgot whether I change it after starting from MAME itself or launched via MALA.

I am starting to see Mame.ini in my dreams... er, nightmares...
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: MAME not remembering "pixel aspect".. what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »
I will say this: the slider settings for horizontal stretch ARE remembered. So it is something about the pixel aspect that is the problem. I can make it work with the sliders, but would love to know what is resetting the pixel aspect (I assume something in mame.ini?) if anyone has any knowledge to bestow upon me.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:00:54 pm »
Ok, found a workaround (had to, for Moon Patrol and Tapper, which have to run pixel aspect to look good on my vert cab... sliders don't work on those):

create ini folder in mame folder

copy mame.ini, copy into ini folder, rename to game name (for instance, for tapper it was rbtapper.ini)

in that .ini, on the "view" line, put "Pixel Aspect ("

save

now that game will launch with pixel aspect.

Was not aware of the game-level .ini files, seems to be a way to tweak all sorts of things game by game. Ah, I learn something every day I guess.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
Did you figure out how to make it the Standard 4:3?

I have the same problem with Gorf, but I want the resolution to be 4:3, NOT 15:22.

I just posted something about it here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,97121.msg1316627.html#msg1316627

P.S. - I also have a hacked hi score version of MAME .143.  It's annoying that it behaves exactly as you described.  I set the Standard 4:3 aspect in the TAB menu and it will work when I exit and go back in, but then it resets to being small again.

Thanks for the help!

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »
Hmm, honestly once I got my cab going with the workaround I posted below, I never explored it much further.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:56 am »
Thanks.  I "sort of" found a solution that I posted on the other topic.   :-\

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Haze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:49 pm »
the problem is the hacked builds.

several people have been (annoyingly) reporting this to mamedev too, it's not a mame problem.