Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: IVPlay New GUI for MAME  (Read 3761 times)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
IVPlay New GUI for MAME
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:17:45 am »
MW announced a new GUI front end for MAME.  IVplay is known as four play.

new MAME GUI
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:22:47 am by BobA »

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
Re: IVPlay New GUI for MAME
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:29:25 am »
mmm don't know bout that, the only reason why i use MameUI is the easy of setting up options without having to edit the ini file manually, in usage mameui/mame is no different so not sure why there was need to make a new gui for it

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:34:55 am »
I think it is a simplified GUI that is decoupled from the MAME setting options so they do not have to make as many changes to keep up with MAME.  On the down side as you say the setting are a good part of mameui as it is from menu no ini files to diddle.  

Edit: Well I tried it and am not sure where I would use it.   Might be good for a keyboard based MAME where you did not want someone messing around with the settings.  There are much better UI's for cab use.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:44:09 pm by BobA »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:01 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:17:57 am »
I didn't really see the point either.  Now if they had decoupled the gui and kept the ability to modify game settings then that would be a brilliant idea as mame32/ui users would now be using real mame and thus it would eliminate those mame32 specific problems that have crept up over the years. 

As-is though it's really just the horrible user interface that pretty much started the development of windows FEs... you know to get away from such an ugly "windowsy" interface.  Or at least the look of mame32 was the reason I started making FEs.  ;)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »
I didn't really see the point either.  Now if they had decoupled the gui and kept the ability to modify game settings then that would be a brilliant idea as mame32/ui users would now be using real mame and thus it would eliminate those mame32 specific problems that have crept up over the years.

I think the MAME Plus gui satisfies this. It shows more features than baseline MAME supports, but doesn't have any less.
-Banned-