Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to void the warranty on a Mag-Stik Plus...  (Read 2478 times)

Stormy151

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2011, 01:57:24 am
  • It was Dick Jones! DICK JONES!!!
How to void the warranty on a Mag-Stik Plus...
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:41 am »
Add a top fire button!  :lol

I haven't seen this done on here (at least, I couldn't find any in the search), so I thought I would post this up.

I'm planning my Mame cab, and I'd really like to play as many games as I can, so I picked up the Mag Stiks- and I got to thinking.  One of my favorite games was Assault, and I realized that I really couldn't play it without a top fire stick.  I took the Mag Stik apart and decided it wouldn't be too hard to add one. 

What's the WORST that could happen, right?  :cheers:

I happen to have a super cool job that allows me access to a shop that is basically the world's ULTIMATE garage- CNC mills, routers, laser cutters, lathes, etc.  So I decided to take advantage.  The Mag Stik has threads at the bottom, and I was super concerned with ruining them.  Someone suggested turning a whole new shaft out of hollow tube, which could be done- but seemed like a lot of unnecessary work. 

Also, I didn't have a drill bit long enough for the lathe to go all the way through the shaft.  The Mag Stik has a plastic sleeve between the knob and the body, and inside it was pretty much a shaft- I would just have to keep the wires clear of the 4/8 way switching mechanism.  I decided to go through the knob as deep as I could- then go into the threaded end up until I was clear of the mechanism.  I would then pop out the side and run the wires through a slot in the shaft that would be covered by the sleeve. 

So that's what I did.  I had a P1/2 start button from a Ms Pac cocktail I used for the top fire.  Came out pretty slick.  I may do it to the P2 stick so that it matches. I made the hole juuuuust bigger than the switch- it doesn't thread in, but it's a nice press fit.  I can dig it out if I have to.

Now, how to keep the wires from twisting up?  :lol

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
Re: How to void the warranty on a Mag-Stik Plus...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:49 am »
Lucky.

Good work, now where do I place my order?  I can't find the link. >:D

Seriously though, if I was still using my MSPs I would totally want that done.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 04:10:07 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:43:17 pm »
I definatly need to get me a lathe.  That would open up so many possibilities.  Good job on the mod.

Stormy151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:33:55 am »
Thanks guys!   I can't wait to try them- should be next week.  I just have to finish designing the rest of the cab.

Yeah, having the lathe definitely helped!  :lol   You can get some ok smaller ones at Harbor Freight that are not too expensive.  I used a heavy industrial lathe- which I'm sure was way overkill- mostly what helped me out was the larger chuck when it held the knob end.

Stormy151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
So, I'm going to do the P2 stick, but I'm going to get a longer bit so that I can just go all the way through the shaft rather than mill the slot in the outside.

That being said, you've got me thinking- if there were enough interest I could offer some up for sale... I probably would also offer a choice of black or red buttons.

Nephasth

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15:04 pm »
Now, how to keep the wires from twisting up?  :lol

Have you seen this thread?

tsaylor

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2019, 05:16:20 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13:23 am »
More thoughts: Lighted buttons, and recessed buttons so they don't get in the way of normal gameplay.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:13:33 am »
I think someone tapped a Magstick for lighted tops....
-Banned-