Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I thinkI fried my GPWiz40MAX - Any tips to protect against ESD?  (Read 2446 times)

laggerific

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2014, 09:40:42 pm
The other day I got up from my new couch (probably need to spray it with static guard) and went to mess around on my arcade cabinet only to get a giant shock when I grabbed my metal Sanwa stick.  Immediately, it appeared that several inputs were not working, some buttons, the trackball and likely the stick.  I rebooted the PC and it appears that most everything survived the shock, except for one thing, the player 1 joystick inputs were now forced to the down position.  Having disconnected all inputs from the GPWiz40MAX I determined the PCB to be fried, as it still showed the joystick forced into the down position.  My general question is, how can I prevent a future shock from destroying something else in the future?

First off, if I understand correctly, there is a difference between the common "ground" that one wires switches to, and the earth ground which helps ensure the safety of yourself and the equipment.  Then to continue, if I have something like an amp powered by tapping into a molex connector does that mean the amp is grounded/earthed? or is the ground in this instance more like the commons in switches, while the amp itself isn't grounded?  Should the USB cable connecting my PCBs to the PC earth the PCBs?

Here is an overview of the power wirings in my cab.  3 items are receiving power from a powerstrip in the cabinet, the PC (full cased PC), the TV, and a subwoofer.  The PC is the only 3 pronged outlet.  The PC itself powers the following external items through a molex tap: the +12v powers the LEDs for the marquee and the amp, the +5v powers the LEDs for coin door.  The powerstrip that all is connected to shows that it is not grounded, but it is "protected", although not sure how effective that is against static shock.

On a side note, would there be a problem if I wired all the commons for the pushbuttons/joysticks to one common port on a single PCB even though those devices are all connected otherwise across 3 PCBs (2 GPWiz40MAXs and 1 Optipac)?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:13:55 pm by laggerific »

laggerific

• Offline Offline
Okay...so, this clearly exposed my ignorance...but that just allows it to oxidize into understanding.

That said, thanks for letting me thought dump here...I believe I do understand where I went wrong...confusing the different grounds, and assuming all was grounded okay.  As is clear, I failed to do the proper earthing of all the electronic parts in the cabinet. 

mgb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Also if you do have a static issue in your house, maybe an antistatic mat or a spray mixture of water and liquid fabric softener will help.
Besides that, you live and learn

laggerific

• Offline Offline
I was evaluating my next step of ensuring that all PCBs in my cab were earthed, and have a some questions.

On my motherboard, it is grounded to the case through the screw mounts and holes, which are lined with metal.  But, the screw holes on the GPWiz are just green PCB.  I see other holes near the bottom that appear to have metal lining, and they don't appear to have traces to them, but how can I be sure that it is being grounded effectively, or that I'm not going to short something else out?

*edit*
It appears that the holes with metal lining are tied to the ground used for the switches...so could I just hook a wire from the ground input and tie the other end to my PC powersupply?  It seems then that we'd be tying the signal and power grounds together, which I thought was not a good thing either, but that's basically what a PC motherboard and case are doing, so perhaps I misread something in my research.

Additionally, if I'm mainly trying to prevent an ESD that starts at the joystick, wouldn't it be better just to have me tie that to earth (by running a wire to PC power supply) so the ESD doesn't even consider going through the electronics?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:21:31 pm by laggerific »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:04:09 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: I thinkI fried my GPWiz40MAX - Any tips to protect against ESD?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:27 am »
the GPwiz is USB, which is grounded through the usb cable to the computer, the computer is (supposed to be) grounded to earth through the metal case and the power supply (screwed to the metal case) is grounded to earth through the powercable through the powerbar WHERE IT ENDS due to a disconnected ground inside the cabinet wiring or a chopped off ground on the main power plug to the outlet itself. (your powerbar told you this through some kind of light or indicator).

allways make sure everything remains properly grounded...monitor, control panel, coin door... the green wires aren't there to look pretty, they provide

your static shock fried the GPWiz likely beacuse it's not designed to guard against such things, but grounding as much as you can, will increase your chances of survival.

also...touch something else first... find a nice shiny metal spot, maybe a stove bolt and ground it. install it in the top of the cabinet. and just touch it first.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
also...touch something else first... find a nice shiny metal spot, maybe a stove bolt and ground it. install it in the top of the cabinet. and just touch it first.

You can ground yourself out on light switch cover screws too.

laggerific

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:04:29 am »
Thanks for your thoughts...I certainly hope I don't fry any more parts in the CP before I get used to making it a habit to ESD safely elsewhere.  I was worried that it might be the case that the PCB itself isn't capable of taking the shock...I guess I'll just have to hope the other grounding I do can effectively mitigate the issue.  That said...

The monitor is an LED LCD, and it didn't have a green wire (in this case, should I just run a hookup wire to a screw in the monitor arm to the PC PS?).  The CP was built by me and there are no green wires in there, although with your emphasis above regarding grounding what I can, I think I will try to connect the metal joystick poles with green earth wire down to the PC PS.  And the coin door is an over/under by happ, and I don't recall a green wire, but I am planning on running a green wire from there to a screw on the PC PS, as well. 

Ah, and the USB hub that all is connected to is not wall powered, although I'm not sure if a plug would improve whatever resistance the hub has to ESD.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:37:09 am »

I can repair the unit for you for the cost of the processor and shipping.  No need to buy a whole new board.  Just make sure the PC is grounded next time, and that none of the inputs are in contact with the metal chassis of the joystick, and you should be fine.  You can also jump one of the ground connections to the metal frame of the stick, as this goes directly to the PC's ground.  The GP-Wiz processor fried because the high-voltage discharge didn't have a clear path to ground, having been defeated at the power strip.

RandyT

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:25 am »
Neither the GGG nor the Ultimarc devices include substantial ESD protection on their inputs, presumably for space and cost reasons.  Generally this isn't a problem, as the chips themselves have some built in, and most zaps are minor, but sometimes it can be a problem.  Even with extreme ESD protection, bit zaps could still occasionally cause problems, anyway.  Looks like Randy has offered to repair your board, so that's great.

If your power strip is saying it's not grounded ("Protected" light probably just means that the surge suppressor hasn't been fried - power surges are different issues than static discharge) and you're not using a so-called "cheater plug" to plug it into a 2-prong outlet, you should have a qualified electrician inspect that outlet (and possibly other wiring in your house).  That's a very unsafe situation.

If you are using a "cheater plug", either stop using it, and plug the power strip into a grounded, 3-prong outlet, or connect the little tab on the cheater plug to a real earth ground, which is what you're supposed to do.

And yes, making sure that everything has a clear (and, ideally, "hefty") path to earth ground tends to mitigate the effects of static discharge.  Your PC supply should connect its power common (aka "ground" aka the black DC wire) to earth ground (aka "safety ground" aka the green/yellow striped wire aka the "third prong" on your outlet).  As long as that is indeed a valid earth ground, you should be good since USB will make the rest work for you.  It would also be a good idea to connect all the metal bits that aren't used for other wiring (so everything but switch contacts) to earth ground (a mounting screw on your PC power supply works well) via "beefy" wire (where "beefy" means "as large as practical").  Most commercial arcades do this for ESD and safety reasons.

Things like ESD mats and sprays would be a last resort, but they're an option.

/Yeah, I like parentheses
//EDIT: The NEW JPAC does have some sort of ESD protection on at least some of its inputs, now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:49:07 pm by MonMotha »

laggerific

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:07 am »
Thanks guys...I did end up buying another, but since the original was swiped from a now dormant CP, it would have a home.  I'll reply in email.

Well, I'm going to pick up a ground test unit from Home Depot this weekend, and some brass clamps for some grounding cable on the sticks...I guess for a short hop the 22 gauge hookup wire would be sufficient?

That said, I have 3 prong outlets, but I'm not sure if any are grounded...I'm hoping at least the bathroom and kitchens are.  Will continue to research.

That said...if all I have is the power strip as a floating ground (or would it be the PC?), is it likely that further ESDs would cause issues in my PC, or would they just fry the power strip or is it effectively a crap shoot?  If the latter, I'm surprised I've been lucky so far, beyond this.  Then again, I can't recall a time I zapped something electric so directly.

Where does one find braided ground cable, and is it particularly expensive?

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:59:23 am »
One thing you have to remember about voltage is that it's always relative.  One cannot speak of an absolute voltage; one always has to talk about the voltage between one point and another.  This is in fact where the notion of "ground" in a circuit comes from: it's the node (a node is a part of the circuit that is all connected by just wires) that one measures all the voltages relative to.  The term further comes from the notion of "earth ground" where one measures voltages relative to the local surface of the earth.

Static charges are charges that accumulate relative to the earth and can reach in to the tens or even hundreds of thousands of volts.  Voltage basically means how eager electricity is to get back to the point the voltage is measured from.  Since we're talking about a huge voltage between the ESD source (in this case, your body) and the earth, the electric charge wants to find any path it possibly can to the earth.  If this means going through a bunch of sensitive electronics, it will do so.  You want to make sure that a path exists that bypasses all your electronics.  This generally means tying all the exposed metal bits to a something that is as directly connected to the local earth ground (that third prong on an electrical outlet or a ground stake) as possible.

I usually use green AWG16 for grounds in my arcade cabinets, but that's because I picked up 1000ft of the stuff for cheap a while back, and it's the right (generally accepted) color.  Ground braids work well, too, and AWG16 is probably overkill in many cases.  Bigger is better as it represents a better path for the electric charge to take (and it will take the "easiest" or best path it can find), but even a relatively small wire like AWG22 represents a better path from the electricity's point of view than a complicated transistor circuit like the processor on your encoder board.

The gist of this is that, yes, AWG22 is probably fine.  By convention, it would be green (ideally with a yellow stripe) rather than black, but of course the electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is, so as long as you know what everything does, it's OK.  It is very important that earth ground actually make it into the scenario, though.  You should absolutely ensure that your outlet is properly grounded.  Many devices that have 3 prong plugs represent a mild shock hazard during normal operation (and an extreme shock hazard if an internal fault occurs) if not plugged into a properly grounded outlet.

Again, if you have three-prong outlets that aren't actually grounded (or that have AC neutral tied to the ground - have an electrician inspect this if you're unsure), you really should have that resolved as it is a pretty major safety and even fire concern.

Ideally there is one and only one connection between earth ground and your DC power common ("ground" aka the big black wire) inside your arcade cabinet.  This is usually placed near the power supply, and PC supplies all do so internally.  From there, everything is separated into earth ground and power ground to prevent interference (it shows up especially badly and obviously on monitors but can cause all sorts of other difficult to debug problems).  Earth ground is only used for ESD and safety management (i.e. tying all the non-electrical bits of metal together) while power ground is used for all the power and signal wiring.  None of this separation is strictly necessary, but some electrical codes and standards require it as it also has some subtle safety implications.

Copper is in general very expensive right now, so just about any source of copper wire or braid will be expensive.  I've bought most of my wire by deal hunting on eBay and local surplus shops (mostly eBay).