Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CAPCOM BREAKSHOT  (Read 1763 times)

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
CAPCOM BREAKSHOT
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »
Went on a housecall tonight for one of these games.  Two popbumpers are out to lunch.  First time I was ever under the hood of a CAPCOM.  Nice older gentlemen who is a home builder got this game from Pinball Perfection in Pittsburgh a while back. Built the whole subdivision that he lives in. All the homes in it are brand new and gorgeous.  Makes you wonder how there is such a real estate downturn. Anyway, I downloaded the manual and went through it so, hopefully, I only look like half of an idiot when I get there. After some scanning it looks like it might be a wire problem. Get there and that's exactly what it was.  The coil trigger wires came off of the coils due to 'quality' soldering at the factory.

At first I found the diagnostic menus odd but after getting the feel of it decided that they weren't too awful bad.  There aren't any official TEST switches. Just having the coin door open activates the menu and the flipper and start buttons are all you need to navigate through it. It is definitely better than the DATA EAST menu but not near as good as  WPC.  The game itself is modeled after older EM games with a rampless flat playfield and synthesized chimes for scoring sounds and the display mimicking EM reel type scoring.

One thing I noticed after playing it some and tweaking the slingshot and other switches is that the CPU seemed kind of 'slow', that is, the game didn't seem fast enough reactionarily speaking. Almost as if it needed early 'Solid State' direct type solenoid wiring instead of pure CPU control.

Anyone else notice this on a CAPCOM or is there something else going on with this particular game that is wrong?

StephenH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: CAPCOM BREAKSHOT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »
The Capcom architecture is somewhat different from other pins.  http://www.pinrepair.com/capcom/index.htm

Capcom for one uses no GI Lamps (they are all CPU controlled).   They also put a lot of componets on the same board as opposed to separate boards for switches and such.    The switch matrix is wired quite differently and uses a lot more components.  Also, the boards use a lot more surface mount components and a weird "Zeropower RAM" system as opposed to a battery on board.