Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Illustrator 10 file saving question  (Read 1814 times)

bsoder52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Illustrator 10 file saving question
« on: August 23, 2003, 02:19:54 pm »
OK,
I just called Kinkos and talked to someone.  They told me that I had to save my Illustrator 10 files a certain way for them to print.

They told me I had to "create outlines" and save in a PDF format.

Anyone know how to "create lines".  The option is greyed out when I open my files and I have no idea how to access this option.

thanks!
Bsoder52

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Illustrator 10 file saving question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 02:31:42 pm »
OK,
I just called Kinkos and talked to someone.  They told me that I had to save my Illustrator 10 files a certain way for them to print.

They told me I had to "create outlines" and save in a PDF format.

Anyone know how to "create lines".  The option is greyed out when I open my files and I have no idea how to access this option.

thanks!
Bsoder52

They dont accept photoshop format ? ???
They probley do.Call again and see if they accept photoshop format.

then "export" a photoshop file from Illustrator 10 and you have it. :)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:Illustrator 10 file saving question
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 08:46:46 pm »
They are talking about all the fonts you use.  If you use anytype of font in Illustrator, just highlight it and go to TYPE...CREATE OUTLINES.... and it will turn the font into shapes.  If you don't do that, then when they go to open the AI file and if they don't have the font (which in this niche artwork they probably don't), it will substitute something like courier for yours.   That's bad.

As for saving as a PDF, go to FILE...SAVE AS... and change it to PDF.  Make sure you pick Adobe 4.0 compatibility! Kinko's doesn't officially support 5.0...and can screw things up at the printer.   They really need to get with the times because now there's acrobat 6.0 out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 08:48:22 pm by Frostillicus »