Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Act Labs Light Gun  (Read 2572 times)

TaskyZZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2003, 02:25:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
New Act Labs Light Gun
« on: October 09, 2003, 02:26:39 pm »
Where are the reviews for this thing?

Come on people, let us know how they are working.

The last two pretty much sucked, so I am waiting to hear about this one before I ship any more money off to Act Labs.

Thanks.

mkdevo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 09:31:59 pm

TaskyZZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2003, 02:25:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:New Act Labs Light Gun
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 02:22:11 pm »
If you call that a review...

He is even saying he should set his television to 75Hz...  That isn't going to happen anytime soon on an American TV...  So I would like a little clarification about that as well.

I want to know how well the gun is actually working.  As that guy stated he thought the synch was off.  Whatever the hell that means.

Thanks...

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 04:09:47 pm »
Well, since there was a little mixup about whether or not ActLabs could ship to my postoffice box they kicked me out of the first shipment of guns and said I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for the next run.

This is a huge blessing in disguise for me, though, if any of you who already got your gun/guns would be so kind as to share your impressions.  I ordered two guns and wouldn't complain at saving $90 if I hear back that they aren't worth the price, or $45 if we can get some feedback on the simultaneous dual gun feature.

Thanks
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 04:29:01 pm »
is this better ??

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12287

I did not order yet... but if everything goes right...
I might order 2......

(well... first... I have to finish my cab first... that's top priority...)
 >:( >:(
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Reg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2004, 10:43:45 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 08:36:11 pm »
Hi,

First I'm not an Electrician nor an specilaist in electronics.

Secondly, I was refering to the Docum that came with the gun.

I did not write "here is my complete/detailed review of the new Act-Labs Light gun".

Thirdly,
You can set your display in windows XP to 640x480xtrue colors at 75Hz, but when you activate the TV output the signal is readapted to match the NTSC standard so 60hz like you said. (so it's here was was a bit confused).

And Then I have found why the gun was pointing a bit off target, I have figured out that my bezel was covering the picture tube of the TV for about 1/4 inch.

So the gun was off by 1/2 inch!

I had to remove it and retry the alignment of the gun and after the precision of the gun was more the way it should be!

I can say that this night my 4 year old son was watching...

I was trying to avoid as possible games like aliens or games that involve shooting someone.  So I have tried Police trainer kind games. By the way the gun does not work well with Terminator.

My Pc is not enouch speedy (800Mhz) enough for Area51 and Maximum force.

Be my guest to Write a review when you will have your's!

Reg

If you call that a review...

He is even saying he should set his television to 75Hz...  That isn't going to happen anytime soon on an American TV...  So I would like a little clarification about that as well.

I want to know how well the gun is actually working.  As that guy stated he thought the synch was off.  Whatever the hell that means.

Thanks...
>:( >:(

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 08:58:18 pm »
By the way the gun does not work well with Terminator.

Terminator 2 did not use a light gun.  I think it had some type of joystick attached to the machine gun.

JesterDEV

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2010, 05:29:21 pm
  • OU812?
    • Jester's Temptation
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 07:42:33 pm »
Hello everyone! :D

Been a while. Anyway I got my gun in last week and right away found there to be problems with my APEX Flatscreen tv. Well, really only one problem. I can't shoot at the bottom 3 inches of the screen. I calaberated the gun about 20 times and it never worked. Turned out to be sort of a blessing. I ended up using my 32" composit tv in my cab instead and it works like a charm. However I am suffering a bit because no more s-video. :( It really looks good but not as good as it did. I'd say there's about a 15% difference. But I have an extra 13"! :)

I tried it with both a Geforce4 ti, and an ATI Radeon 7800.

Also it's a bit off when shooting. I'd say anywhere from 8th of an inch to about an inch. Seems to depend on the game. For example Chiller is way off, where as Area 51 is almost perfect.

I didnt try changing the color depth, didnt think that would help.  ???

Overall it's better then using the trackball, and works quite well depending on the game.
Great big gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts.

hooded_paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2013, 08:59:01 pm
  • Finch! hahaha
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 09:17:23 pm »
Hello everyone! :D

Been a while. Anyway I got my gun in last week and right away found there to be problems with my APEX Flatscreen tv. Well, really only one problem. I can't shoot at the bottom 3 inches of the screen. I calaberated the gun about 20 times and it never worked.

Also it's a bit off when shooting. I'd say anywhere from 8th of an inch to about an inch. Seems to depend on the game. For example Chiller is way off, where as Area 51 is almost perfect.
try adjusting the picture of your TV till it's kinda small, and you can see the border of the image inside the screen area.  Then re-calibrate and re-try.

I'm not an expert on this but it was just mentioned that having some of the image outside the border  (underneath the plastic bezel)  throws off the aim.
There is SO a spoon.