Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New, SKG Jukebox now available  (Read 25355 times)

skepticalgeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2012, 08:27:41 pm
New, SKG Jukebox now available
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:25:29 pm »
The SKG Jukebox is now out of limited beta testing and available for public consumption. This project is both an homage to, and an improvement (hopefully) to the SK Jukebox. It has many advanced features, such as:
    Improved UI, more touchscreen friendly.
    Custom album lists, display only those albums you want. Perfect for families where every member has different musical tastes.
    Create playlists, and play them in regular or random order.
    Manipulate your track list. Change the order of tracks, move a track to the top of the list instantly, delete a track, etc.
    Integrated album art downloader.
    Integrated CD ripper.
    Track Search function.
    Key mapping, map various advanced functions to custom keystrokes.

For more information, screenshots and downloads, go to www.skgsoft.net

Looking forward to your feedback

skepticalgeek

P.S. does anyone know how I get added to the list of jukebox software, here and on the wiki? Thanks.

secret80sman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2013, 07:04:31 pm
    • The Ultimate 80's Tribute Band
Re: New, SKG Jukebox now available
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »
congrats on the release and welcome, the jukebox category definitely needs some new blood!

Why not PM Saint who created the list I believe and ask him to add you. The list still says it hasn't been updated since 2007 and it is so outdated.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:45 pm »
Looks great! Great to finally see jukebox software that is touchscreen friendly!  I really can't see the point in other software making all the buttons so small and having to hope there is an alternative skin!

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:40:48 am »
Thanks for the kind words. I edited the wiki tonight, and added a page for my juke, and linked it to the master list, so hopefully that will attract more folks. Please download it, and tell me what you think. My e-mail is on the website, or you can always post here, or to the Software forum. I check those regularly.

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:25:29 am »
Very nice touchscreen operation.  One problem I ran into, though, is the alpha bar at the top of the screen crashes the program if I select X, Y, or Z.  I don't have any artists that start with any letters higher than 'W', so I'm sure that's related.  The alpha bar itself is a huge improvement on the interface, though.  Nice.

I didn't notice a random play mode, yet.  Is there one? 
EDIT:  I found the setting that plays a random song every 2 minutes.  It would be nice if that was adjustable, I'm thinking.  But when I tried using that, the program crashed on the second or third song while idle.  Tried it again and it crashed on the 6th or 7th song.

Brian

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:22:00 am by Dermbrian »

secret80sman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:31:13 am »
I get no sound and it says "song playing" but the counter says zero.

Also, it would be nice if the program remembered the database and didn't have to go through it at the beginning each time it loads up. Could it be set up to check once a week or once a month for example to save load time?

Thanks.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
Dermbrian, thanks for the tip. My library contains a ZZTop album, so I never ran into that issue. Didn't think to look for it. I'll fix it and release an update in the next week.
Secretsman, try hitting the spacebar twice to pause and unpause. Sometimes there is a random glitch that loads the song but doesn't start playing it. Haven't been able to consistently duplicate it, so haven't been able to track it down. Also, what version are you running, Windows or Linux?

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:34 am »
I am so happy to see someone picking up on this project! Awesome work Skepticalgeek! I will throw this on a box and tinker around with it tonight! You the man!

Neil

secret80sman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »
Dermbrian, thanks for the tip. My library contains a ZZTop album, so I never ran into that issue. Didn't think to look for it. I'll fix it and release an update in the next week.
Secretsman, try hitting the spacebar twice to pause and unpause. Sometimes there is a random glitch that loads the song but doesn't start playing it. Haven't been able to consistently duplicate it, so haven't been able to track it down. Also, what version are you running, Windows or Linux?

Running windows, seem to have figured it out. I can't just double click the song but have to press the PLAY NOW button. I am on windows. Any thoughts to getting the program to open quicker or is it database (how much music I have) dependent?

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:21 am »
Secret, the program doesn't use a database. When it starts up, it does a recursive search of your music directory, and loads the information it needs into memory, in a bunch of data structures I won't bore you with. This approach has several advantages during execution, in exchange for somewhat slower load times. I will look into making the load more responsive by providing some sort of progress indicator on the load screen.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2014, 12:26:20 am
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 04:02:27 am »
I am so happy to see someone picking up on this project! Awesome work Skepticalgeek! I will throw this on a box and tinker around with it tonight! You the man!

Neil

he is the man , ive been beta testing it for some time now and i think it will be the best juke on the market . ive got a soft spot for as i did skjuke

well done again mate . the flocks are coming . and im looking forward to reading everyones responses

secret80sman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
A suggestion: I think having a play now button on the main screen would be nice too since double clicking on a file simply adds it to the play list.

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »
By clicking the lower left corner of the screen, where the pending track info is, you enter the Track List screen. This shows all the pending tracks, and allows you to re-arrange them as you like. Two of the options on this screen are Play Now, and Move to Top of Queue. Hope you're enjoying it.

z28dan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2018, 08:50:01 pm
  • mad scientist with jukes
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »
Does this have video support? or am I just missing it?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:08 am »
Gave your newest version a try.   It crashed immediately in W7 64 bit and did the same when run in compatibility move for XP sp2.  It was installed as admin and run as admin.

Update:   Loaded and ran fine under XP with SP3.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:05:52 pm by BobA »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
Tried running this on Windows 7 and XP, if I just click on the screen, it crashes, what am I doing wrong.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

dave68471

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2018, 01:31:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 01:59:55 am »
How do you get to the options screen in the SKG.  I have tried and can't seem to get it to work.

glennbo80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2021, 03:33:15 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 02:52:21 pm »
I believe you type in 0000

trublu289

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2012, 07:46:46 pm
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:33 am »
I have tried running on xp and windows 7 every time it doesn't load music and when I try to click something it crashes. Not sure what the problem could be.

trublu289

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2012, 07:46:46 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »
Found answer to problem. The way my music was set up was that all my files were in one folder but instead it needs to be in sub folders per artist and album. Media monkey categorized my songs some what, took away some of the time of manually having to put each song into a sub folder.

gfly3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2013, 01:10:07 pm
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »
Looks cool, but cannot get it running under windows 7. Crashes everytime i try to start it .. I'll try again with the next release...

gfly3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:50 am »
Looks cool, but cannot get it running under windows 7. Crashes everytime i try to start it .. I'll try again with the next release...

Update: The program is up and running fine, seems my album directory was the problem.. I cannot wait to see this project progress , very nice !!

gfly3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »
 skepticalgeek,
  Is there a way to make searching for a song its own feature without having to enter the options , like have a search button ? Maybe a feature to be added later ? Its an awesome jukebox and many, many thanks !
gfly3

willharwell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2011, 05:08:54 pm
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »
I found the setting that plays a random song every 2 minutes.  It would be nice if that was adjustable, I'm thinking.  But when I tried using that, the program crashed on the second or third song while idle.  Tried it again and it crashed on the 6th or 7th song.

Same problem here. I used VBRFix to clean up my mp3's which helped with the crashing options I would have while playing songs. I have tested each and every song and they will all play now when selected but, when random mode is on I get crashes at different times. Usually by the 4th song, sometimes on the first.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 03:01:36 am »
we should keep all these posts in the one thread , there is also a thread under software about skg juke with a lot of the info and ideas , be good if everyone used that one

studmuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2012, 09:40:15 pm
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 07:03:56 pm »
Is this still in development?  This is one of the best home touchscreen jukebox softwares I have ever used.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »
yah mate its still in development although skg has mentioned he is working on a games project which will take up a lot of his time

anyone that knows a good programmer so we can get some other work on it done would be awesome as the sourcecode is available

id like to have a version made without the numbered buttons as i dont need them

and possibley some work done so we can change the font colors of the track titles and album titles things like that

its a awesome juke , the main problem is sometimes a song will play with no sound or even an album that wont play , anyone else have this problem , seems like the same song or album so there must be something in the file somewhere

studmuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2012, 09:40:15 pm
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:45 pm »
Is this still in development?  This is one of the best home touchscreen jukebox softwares I have ever used.

Not sure why but I keep getting a C++ Runtime Error when I start the program.  My Jukebox is running Win XP with the latest windows updates.

mebronx2000

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 02:39:34 pm
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 03:14:02 am »
love this.... any way to get where the track listing is just the number of the track and the track name ? now it shows artist ,album then i think track ... i cant see the track name on any... the file name is to long ...thanks   :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:07:35 am by mebronx2000 »

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »
Hey guys, skepticalgeek here. Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I've been checking the Software forum every day or two, but for some reason, didn't think to check the Jukebox forum, so this is the first time I have seen a lot of these.

In response to some of the questions, there is a keyboard shortcut for every feature in the Options screen, usually Ctrl + some key. The track search function is Ctrl-S. A full list should be in the user manual. As far as crashes go, the first thing I would suggest is making sure you are running the latest version, 0.85. If you are, and are getting weird behavior, try deleting the Library.xml file from your resources directory, forcing the jukebox to re-scan the music collection. Also, feel free to e-mail me at skepticalgeek@skgsoft.net with any questions or problems.

Like ego said, I am currently working on a new project, a multiple emulator front end, with a similar look and feel as the jukebox. It will also use your internet connection to download game art and look up game information. Expect a post in the software forum in the next week or two, with the first screenshots.

SKG

Raven..

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2021, 12:51:50 am
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »
I love this juke program.  It looks really good, and is easy enough for my kids to use!  My only problem is that I have a ton of loose MP3s that are not in albums.  I end up basically making "mix tape" type albums to get around that. ;)

Turvey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 02:50:28 pm
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 12:25:23 pm »
 I love this programme 8)  Just has the look I like and used with THIS SCREENSAVER completes the look. I'm not using a touchscreen at the moment so that does detract from it a little but that's my problem not the software's. I presume that using a USB keypad would be a workable compromise? Decent sized touchscreens seem to be so expensive this side of the pond! :-[

One suggestion for the future. In older versions when you started SKG it loaded all your music from scratch thereby automatically updating your 'Jukebox'. The new version obviously doesn't and for large collections I can totally see why. Could there be an option whereby you could choose between 'Scanning Every-time' and 'Load Current Library' ? I do realise there's the manual way to Scan but it was nice to get it done automatically.  I don't know if anyone else has noticed but in my case if you remove a folder i.e an artist from your music folder it crashes SKG! I agree it wont be normal to remove music but I thought I would mention it anyhow  ;)

While I'm on a roll.......in notebook mode the 2 albums showing don't fill the space, seems a waste of screen space. Perhaps the volume control could be left on show?

My only problem is that I have a ton of loose MP3s that are not in albums.  I end up basically making "mix tape" type albums to get around that. ;)

I just dumped all my single mp3's into a folder named 'Singles and Stuff' but that is a neat idea  8)

I'll keep using this programme, keep up the good work skepticalgeek  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

skepticalgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. Loading the library from file was originally added in order to deal with the problems of users with extremely large album collections. I think I can do an approach where I check to contents of the music directory, and if it has been modified more recently than the library xml file, to re-scan the music library. I will try to include that in the next update.

A USB keypad should work, or a full keyboard as well. A keypad may not have enough keys to give you full functionality.

Cheers.

SKG

Hoppy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2012, 08:27:27 am
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 02:32:20 pm »
SGK  I have the program up and running... but when i go to update the album art is shows the correct image, I click save and exit out and the image is vertical colored bars.  I did a search on my music drive for cover.jpg and they were all the same.  I deleted all the files and tested the download again with the same results.   Im on XP sp3 32bit

any ideas?

Turvey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »
Hoppy...

Are you trying this from the 'Configuration' screen or are you doing it manually?

Hoppy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »
tried both ways

Turvey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »
So when you click on the album you need the artwork for and then click on it again, what happens after it downloads the (usually) 3 or 4 choices? Just a thought-please don't take this the wrong way but when you configured SKG did you leave the 'Jukebox Is Connected To The Internet' box ticked?

Hoppy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »
lol no worries... yes its ticked...  it will pull the images then I can scroll thru them and select the one I want
I click on exit then go check the album and it shows the image with the vertical lines

Hoppy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
ok... i had a little time to troubleshoot tonight

I tried to google and album name and download the cover art and save it as cover.jpg in the correct directory
no go
exit program restart
no go

tried a rescan
no go

checked the directory and the .jpg was listed and i could open in windows

uninstalled and reinstalled and ran the scan and it showed

tried to run add album art from the cntrl a
no go

tried to add them one at a time...it would add the cover.jpg to the correct directories but not show in the program until i
uninstalled an reinstalled... the rescan music didn't look like it was doing anything from within the program

also it will not play .wma files??

Turvey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 10:47:39 am »
Again don't take this the wrong way but do you click on the 'Save As Album Art' button, when the correct picture shows, before you Exit?