Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Two-Headed Beast -- Finished  (Read 125414 times)

TheChairmanH2K

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2013, 12:53:17 pm
Re: Two-Headed Beast MAME Conversion (Creepin' Along...)
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:26 pm »
so this is what you look like in real life?!!?!?!?! :dizzy:

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »
You caught the pun. :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:07 am »
I'm out of town for company business and brought my CPs with to work on in my hotel room. Got the player 1 and 3 panel 99% finished on wiring (all that is left is to find the ring terminals I'm looking for and hook up the earth ground). Turned out pretty good, just wish I had a couple extra hours tonight to finish the player 2 and 4 panel.

RGB harnesses completed. Player 1 on the right. And player 3 on the left.

All wiring harnesses installed in the CP. Earth ground hanging over the top (for now).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:37:09 am by Nephasth »

Nephasth

« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »
Got the player 2 & 4 panel wiring finished up this morning. Also tested all the RGB LEDs in both panels and found all to be functioning properly. A huge relief considering all different connection points that could have failed, I'm glad I took my time.

After my last haul with the two skeeball machines, Operation Wolf, and Megatouch, the Two-Headed Beast has been half buried in the garage making it impossible to do any real work on. I got rid of the Operation Wolf, set up the second skeeball machine, and rearranged the games in garage to make the Two-Headed Beast easily accessable. I realized that most of my progress pics have just been of the small parts and it's been a while since the whole machine has been pictured. Here she is in her current state (the curvature of the cab is due to this being a panoramic shot).

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2011, 01:55:33 pm »
Rearranging the garage does not constitute a satisfying update.  Get thee to work.   >:D

good move getting two skee ball machines, don't have to share!   :cheers:

Nephasth

Re: Two-Headed Beast MAME Conversion (Almost Playable!)
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »
Rearranging the garage does not constitute a satisfying update.  Get thee to work.   >:D

You're right, and between that kick in the pants and easy access to the beast, there is now a breath of life in her!

I got a smart strip a while back and it's been needing to get installed. The cabinet's original power cord was just spliced to a lead with a Molex connector just inside the cabinet. The outlet plug was a screw type. I separated the splice, and removed the power cord. I removed the outlet plug from the power cord and installed it on the lead with the Molex connector.

Found a perfect spot for the smart strip and mounted it. Routed the smart strip's cord out the hole in the cabinet and secured it with the cable clamps that originally secured the original power cord. Plugged in the power lead from the old power supply that still powers the isolation transformers for the monitors into one of the slave outlets.

Finally installed the second VGA breakout harness for the second monitor and the VGA splitter. Hooked up power to the master outlet of the smart strip, and video, sound, power, keyboard, mouse, and external hard drive to the computer outside of the cabinet. Turned on the computer, and the smart strip worked perfectly, powering up the monitors once the computer started up. It has been a while since I've had a computer hooked up to this. Last time the monitor had an annoying throb that I couldn't figure out what the cause was. Someone else had posted a similar problem in the monitor forum, and Malenko (I believe) asked him if the problem was still there with the resolution at 320x240. I thought I'd give it a shot, and low and behold, NO MORE THROBBING! The second monitor needed some adjustments as expected. However, the vertical position pot doesn't seem to be doing anything and I will have to look into that later. Fired up Hyperspin and MAME, and everything is working GREAT! Windows sucks to navigate in 320x240, but Hyperspin and MAME look just fine. Tested things out with my testing CP (the ghetto one), as the Lono is still installed in that. Need to add the finishing touches to the computer and mount it inside the cab, install my interface panel(s) followed by the Lono, make the cabinet control harnesses, get my U360s, and finish the coin doors. So close I can taste it!

Better Jimmy?

Edit: Oh yeah, and today was the first time I had the speakers hooked up, and they're working great.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:04:34 pm by Nephasth »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »
Its looking real good.
I love that you brought the panels on the road with you in order to get work done on them. Now thats dedication. :applaud:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »

Better Jimmy?

:laugh2:  See, you were holding out on us! of course, now that you're playable, no more updates for a month I predict.

<goes to see about finally pinching off another switchcade update besides "still painting">

Great work, sweet rig.

Nephasth

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2011, 11:37:15 pm »
Got a package from the UK today! After months of waiting to buy my U360s, I finally bit the bullet. In the process also decided since I was going, I might as well go all out, and bought a couple of PACLED64s as well. I was originally going to hold off on the PACLED64s (or some other form of LED controller) for a long while, but it just didn't feel right to have those pretty LEDs sitting under the CP and not being able to light up. When I ordered the 2 U360s, I also ordered 4 octagonal restrictor kits and 4 hard springs. I put the extras in my Sanwa JLWs. The JLWs are AWESOME with the hard springs and octagonal restrictors. The other vendors really should offer the octagonal restrictors, $14 is a little steep just for a restrictor plate from Ultimarc (they come with the hardware to be fitted on the U360s, but none of it is used when mounting the restrictor to a JLW). The JLWs feel like completely different, and much better sticks with these and the harder springs installed.

The JLWs with the new restrictor plates and springs. No need to remove the sticks from the panels to install the new parts.

To install the restrictor kits in the U360s, I used a small (very, very small) pair of channel lock pliers to thread the aluminum stand offs all the way into the joystick. Doing this marred the stand offs, but was easily smoothed out with some scotch-brite. Either the holes, or the stand offs weren't perfectly straight, and the holes in the U360's pcb did not line up exactly and I had to file the holes of the pcbs just a little bit larger to get them to fit. Here are the U360s with their new restrictor kits and harder springs.

For those who don't know... Although the U360s are basically enhanced JLWs, there are some differences. The most noticeable are the shaft diameters. The shaft diameter of the JLWs is 9mm. The diameter of the U360 shafts is 10mm. Not a major difference, but you can definitely see it when they are side by side. The JLWs feel like they have a larger range of motion as well, which I believe is due to the difference in shaft diameters.

Now that I have the PACLED64s, I will be able to mount those at the same time as the Lono to the interface panel, which will make wiring the cabinet a little faster and easier. Ultimarc states that the PACLED64 comes with two 48 pin connector housings, but each of mine came with four 24 pin housings, luckily I have plenty of those. ;) Ultimarc's connectors on the right, mine on the left.

Yesterday a co-worker gave me an old ass computer he was going to throw away. I snagged quite a few good parts out of it. I might try using the power supply for the computer. We'll see, it's 160W. I also cannibalized the case for the mobo tray and some other metal. I was planning on using a cased computer inside, but now that I have these free parts, it's a different story. Here was the original black heart of the beast.

The case parts I repurposed. These will be painted black.

Hard drive mounting bracket I cut out of the top left piece of the previous pic.

armi0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2011, 12:38:26 am »
Nice work as always! Andy may have made custom shafts, but the bat top JLW's are a different size shaft than the ball tops....  However the threading is also different.  Just at thought, is the threading on the U360 6mm?

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 04:10:07 pm
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2011, 03:20:49 am »
Nice work as always! Andy may have made custom shafts, but the bat top JLW's are a different size shaft than the ball tops....  However the threading is also different.  Just at thought, is the threading on the U360 6mm?

I got some balltops with 6mm threading to fit onto my U360's.  Mine originally had balltops on them though.  Pretty sure if it has bat tops then the threading is different.

Nephasth

« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2011, 07:09:35 am »
Just at thought, is the threading on the U360 6mm?

I guess you can call it 6mm, I'm getting 5.7mm on the calipers. There appears to be a major difference in the shaft size on the U360s between the bat top shafts and ball top shafts on the site. I ordered mine with ball top, to fit those sweet smoke bubble ball tops onto them! :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:27 am »
Finished modding the bases of the U360s this morning. The cutout is where the panel mounting bracket is inside the CP box. Close quarters. :o I will be cutting my carriage bolts to length tonight. Even though it doesn't matter on the U360s since there are no switches, I want them to be the same length as the bolts on the JLWs. I'll finally have the CPs all put together tomorrow morning!

Nephasth

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
Modded the hardware last night and was finally able to get around to installing the U360s. They look great with the JLWs and the range of motion of each feels a lot closer with both sticks installed. The differences in shaft dimensions aren't as noticeable with them installed either. Very happy with these so far. Hopefully my buddy comes through with the lexan panels for the interfaces this week so I can get to the cab wiring, but that might have to wait until after I finish the 108 harnesses for those 7" monitors that the MiniBeast uses. :-\

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »
 :applaud: Very, very slick looking! Those smoke balltops are awesome on there!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »
it needs a little something  . . .  HMM. 

HOW about SOME LED LIGHTING!

Nephasth

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2011, 05:23:11 pm »
:applaud: Very, very slick looking! Those smoke balltops are awesome on there!

Many thanks!

it needs a little something  . . .  HMM. 

HOW about SOME LED LIGHTING!

Man, there's just no pleasing this guy, is there? Always crackin' the whip! :lol

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »
The metal CP's look great.  I see the tie in with the brushed marquee finish - nice touch. 

Lucky S.O.B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 03:02:50 pm
  • Mmmmm.... Donuts!
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »
Absolutely love this project... I have been wanting to something exactly like this for about 5 years. I fell in love with configuration in college when the local arcade held Street Fighter Tourneys on cyberball cabinet.

Plus the LED work is something I love but I know I don't have the patience for that level of detail.

I started a MAME project 7 years ago and never finished... I think you have inspired me to get my --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- in gear!

Nephasth

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »
The metal CP's look great.  I see the tie in with the brushed marquee finish - nice touch. 

Thanks, I'm still upset the engine turning didn't work out...

Absolutely love this project... I have been wanting to something exactly like this for about 5 years. I fell in love with configuration in college when the local arcade held Street Fighter Tourneys on cyberball cabinet.

Plus the LED work is something I love but I know I don't have the patience for that level of detail.

I started a MAME project 7 years ago and never finished... I think you have inspired me to get my --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- in gear!

There are many different options for going the LED route, and nearly all of them are easier/cheaper than the route I took. I'm glad I was able to provide a little inspiration. But I need to get mine in gear as well, it's been dragging all year on this...

Nephasth

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »
Dmen was kind enough to get me a few pieces of lexan that I will be using for mounting panels inside the cab. I'll be using one (for now, might expand to two if needed in the future) for mounting the interface boards to.

Lexan panel marked and drilled.

Taped up inside the cab to mark the mounting holes of the panel.

Panel removed with mounting holes started. I'll be using 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the MDF just incase I need to remove and reinstall the panel multiple times.

Protective film removed from the lexan and my LONO and PACLED64s installed. Check out that buck! ;)

My threaded inserts should be arriving soon and then I will be able to install the panel in the cab and get to work on the cab wiring.

1,000th post! 8)

Nephasth

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
Threaded inserts showed up today from woodworkingparts.com. Very fast service! I got a shipped notification email about an hour after ordering.

Threaded inserts installed.

Interface panel installed.

View looking through the left coin door hole.

Too much for three little circuit boards?

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 04:10:07 pm
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2011, 12:09:41 am »
Looks good.  I would have never thought to use Lexan as the mounting surface for those boards.   :applaud:

Nephasth

« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »
Looks good.  I would have never thought to use Lexan as the mounting surface for those boards.   :applaud:

Thanks man! :cheers:

No pics, but tonight I modified my quarter mechs to accept most coins. The pic and explanation aren't the best, but it's a good start and once you start messing with the mech you can see where the tokens/coins are getting hung up and what needs to be done. I just got 200 unused 2004 BYOAC tokens yesterday and am pretty excited about using them. I'll also be adding a microswitch behind my reject buttons to serve as an alternate means of adding credits.

Should have 90% of the cabinet wiring done by the end of next week. Then it'll be finishing up my coin doors and decasing and mounting the computer inside.

Nephasth

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
Got the cabinet harnesses half completed today. I have to cut these to length and install the Molex MicroFit connectors on the CP ends, but that will be for another day...

Nephasth

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:21 pm »
A little more progress on the cabinet harnesses today.

Installed the header connectors to the interface boards to start to bring the harnesses together.

Removed harnesses from the cabinet and turned 8 harnesses into 4.

Reinstalled the harnesses into the cabinet. Routed and secured with anchors. Cut harnesses to length in the CP boxes.

About 160 wires in these harnesses total. The top PACLED64 will be used to control the RGB LEDs on the right side and the bottom on will control the left side. I'll leave them as is overnight to help shape the harnesses. Then I'll pull them back out so I can install the MicroFit connectors at my desk. The U360 usb cables will be routed with these harnesses as well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:17:32 pm by Nephasth »

Ground_Gainer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 09:18:22 pm
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:50 am »
That is some top notch wiring!!! :applaud:

:cheers:

Nephasth

That is some top notch wiring!!! :applaud:

Thanks man!

Today was a GLORIOUS day!

I spent about 6 hours this morning finishing up the cabinet harnesses. Got the earth grounds done for the CPs finally. Just have a few wires hanging for my coin doors. Here's a shot of the CP harnesses connected to the cabinet harnesses.

I plugged everything in to give it a test drive. The LEDs are working perfectly! After months of working on the CPs and harnesses, once it all came together, they JUST WORKED. So happy with them. I am going to cover the button barrels to prevent light bleeding. Jimmy, this video's for you:

At this point it is FINALLY playable! But there is still a lot of work left to do. Install the computer in the cabinet, finish the coin doors, program LEDBlinky, tons of adjustments and tweaks. But the majority of it all is finally behind me!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Excellent update -top marks.  lighted button surrounds are stunning - I predict we'll see more of that approach after this reveal. 

rapomstage3

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2012, 06:36:57 am
  • Finish Him!!
How many people do you think have looked at this project then scrapped or at least re thought there's after? I know I have. It's looking real good keep it up.

Nephasth

Excellent update -top marks.  lighted button surrounds are stunning - I predict we'll see more of that approach after this reveal. 

It's looking real good keep it up.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback!

How many people do you think have looked at this project then scrapped or at least re thought there's after?

Probably not as many that have after seeing Mission Control or Ond's Retro-Futuristic. I haven't done anything nearly as earth-shattering as those builds. But I do hope to see more dual screen builds, so hopefully someday the flipped views can be emulated in games like Run N Gun! :cheers:

Nephasth

Re: Two-Headed Beast MAME Conversion
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »
A familiar spirit came tonight. After selling the Run N Gun board, I found that Run N Gun would come up with an error in MAME and wouldn't start. Thought I wouldn't get to play Run N Gun on the Two-Headed Beast after I found that out. Recently, I found how to push the game through the error by pressing F2 and F3 at the same time during the rom check screen. Even though the screens aren't mirrored, and I notice the problems with the game, it brought a huge smile to face to be able to play this game again.

The little girl loves thing. She hasn't been exposed to much, but so far she's a huge fan of TMNT and MK. I find it's REALLY hard to actually work on this now that it's playable. I would rather fire up a game than do what's needed to complete this. But I'll get to it. :)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »
There was a Run & Gun empty cab on Ebay in my area a while back, and I had some fun thinking of what it could become... none of my ideas were as cool as what you've put together!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

rapomstage3

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2012, 06:36:57 am
  • Finish Him!!
Im willing to bet light bleeding wont be much of an issue in normal light conditions.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 09:26:46 pm
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2011, 08:41:26 am »
A familiar spirit came tonight. After selling the Run N Gun board, I found that Run N Gun would come up with an error in MAME and wouldn't start. Thought I wouldn't get to play Run N Gun on the Two-Headed Beast after I found that out. Recently, I found how to push the game through the error by pressing F2 and F3 at the same time during the rom check screen. Even though the screens aren't mirrored, and I notice the problems with the game, it brought a huge smile to face to be able to play this game again.

The little girl loves thing. She hasn't been exposed to much, but so far she's a huge fan of TMNT and MK. I find it's REALLY hard to actually work on this now that it's playable. I would rather fire up a game than do what's needed to complete this. But I'll get to it. :)

I was that lucky S.O.B. that bought the board from Nephasth. Glad you can still play RUN and GUN. That F2/F3 trick works great but it doesn't work on RUN and GUN 2, which is the one you sold me.  ;D

Been following your project and it's looks amazing!  Love the way you hooked up those LONO and PAC LED boards

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2024, 08:24:26 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:22 pm »
Yeah but he sold me Run N Gun 1, remember? :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Nephasth

« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
Bad news. One of the PACLED64s appears to be bad. It will run the flash script when hooked up to a computer, but the computer will not recognize the device although it says it's driver is good. So that's a no go on testing out LEDBlinky. Waiting to hear back from Andy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:15:56 pm by Nephasth »

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 09:26:46 pm
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2011, 07:26:47 am »
Nephasth,
          that sucks about the PACLED not being recognized. Please post what Andy says. I had a similar problem with his "PS3/PC USB Gamepad Interface - XIN-MO Groovy Edition". Was working fine at first then the computer gave me a message that it recognize the USB but didn't know how to handle it, so the controls stopped working. It asked to reinstall the drivers for it, which of course is a plug and play so ???.

Malenko,
       yes I remember. You actually stepped back and let me buy the RUN N GUN 2 board.  :notworthy:

Nephasth

« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:42 am »
Problem solved. Andy was extremely patient and helpful in figuring this out, thanks again!

The verdict: Bad USB cable. :P

Back to my regularly scheduled progress.

Nephasth

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »
Operation: Powder Coat Err... Umm... Rattlecan

Decided not to go with powder coating the coin doors after both my "nearly free" powder coating sources fell through. I had started stripping these months ago. It's hard to believe they've been out of my cab for nearly 7 1/2 months already. The other week I finally finished stripping them with a wire cup on a drill. After hitting the temporary snag with the PACLED64, I directed my focus to finishing the coin doors. Painted them last night. Assembled them today.

I installed the right side coin door in the cab, but left the other side out since most of my cables are coming through that hole to the computer at the moment. Sorry for the ---smurfy--- pic, there's no room in my garage to take a decent one from a proper distance.

I used Rustoleum's black hammered finish spray paint.

I like the orange peel effect it leaves behind.

While I was at it, I also got the parts for mounting the computer painted in the same finish.