Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Your Mala Cab: What state do you leave it in when not in use most of the time.

I Leave it on (possibly with Screensaver)
I Shut it down fully
I put it in Standby
I put it in Hibernate
Other?

Author Topic: Your Mala Cab: What state do you leave it in, when not in use  (Read 12831 times)

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Your Mala Cab: What state do you leave it in, when not in use
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »
Your feedback may influence options for future MaLa development

i.e. Do I add better support for Windows Hibernate?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:07:30 am by loadman »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Your Mala Cab: What state do you leave it in, when not in use
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »
I originally switched away from mala because it failed to resume from standby properly.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
I originally switched away from mala because it failed to resume from standby properly.

Is the latest version OK?  

MaLa should handle Standby in the latest versions (not Hibernate...............yet )

If not please post your mala.exe.log
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:17:55 pm by loadman »

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:00 pm »
Just FYI, I'm still a little spooked from my bout with lightning, so I turn off and completely unplug from the wall. My other machines are fairly easy to rebuild. My Mame machine, not so much  ;)

If things were different, I'd probably hibernate (ie the state where all of ram is written to disk and the machine powered almost completely down).

I'd be curious if anyone's had any experience with hibernating/suspending while connected to a smart power strip. Are there any gotchas with that config that might also effect to restart of the machine?

PaTrYcK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2020, 05:22:19 am
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:50 am »
Hibernation not is stanby!
Hibernate saves an image (on hard disk) of your desktop, including all open windows and files (example Mala front end). Then it powers down your computer just as if you had turned it off. When you turn your computer on again, your windows and files are open just as you left them.
(You can turn off pc, all data there are in hard disk).

Standby is a more traditional sleep mode, as it reduces the power your computer uses to almost nothing. When you select Standby, the power to your screen, hard drive, and peripheral devices is cut. However, the power to the computer's memory (RAM) is maintained so your open files stay open.
(You cannot turn off pc, all data there are in ram).

The hibernate function is the best way for resume mamecab, for three reasons:
1) the boot is very fast (about 10 second)
2) if you hibernate your system while running mala in the next reboot you have the front end immediately ready to work
3) not is necessary software or other way for hide taskbar, icons ecc...because mala front end is the first item that you see when the system reboot!

In my cabinet i use hibernation and EWF + HORM (Hibernate Once Resume Many), you know it?
Is particolar function that allows turn off the cabinet without use the exit function, simple unplug the power!
With this configuration my cabinet work as original arcade game, turn on and with hibernation the cab is ready in 10 seconds, the image of hibernation is the same all time, when i want turn off the switch of the cabinet :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:22:13 am by PaTrYcK »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:21:08 am »
Just FYI, I'm still a little spooked from my bout with lightning, so I turn off and completely unplug from the wall. My other machines are fairly easy to rebuild. My Mame machine, not so much  ;)

Yep, I used to live in the tropics, and I'm still in the habit of unplugging it completely. I'm really excited about MaLa, but I suspect it won't be able to put that plug back in for me  :D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:00 am »

Is the latest version OK?  

MaLa should handle Standby in the latest versions (not Hibernate...............yet )

If not please post your mala.exe.log

I don't even have mala installed anymore. If I ever get a chance I'll do a run/suspend/resume cycle to post something for you.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:01:57 am »
EWF+HORM

Never heard of that before. Sounds like an excellent idea for a mame cab! I see it's documented under XP Embedded. Is it available for normal XP? Any good links for documentation? I'll give that a shot with Mala pretty quick....

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:10 am »
I shut my machines all the way down when not in use. They are in a separate room so I'm not usually walking up and playing at various times through the day where standby functions would be useful. If any of the games (3 use MaLa) are on but not being used while hanging out in the gameroom, I usually leave them running a ROM, not sitting at the front end.

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:08 am »
EWF+HORM
Never heard of that before. Sounds like an excellent idea for a mame cab! I see it's documented under XP Embedded. Is it available for normal XP? Any good links for documentation? I'll give that a shot with Mala pretty quick....
Hi, i have written one simple faq for do it with windows xp in italian forum:
http://www.arcadeitalia.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6007

Extract  from Windows embedded the only file necessary for have EWF + HORM and now is possible use this function on normal WIN XP :)
my english is not good, if you're interested i try to write in english my guide...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:06:17 am by PaTrYcK »

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:42 am »
That'd be fantastic. Your english is FAR better than my Italian  :)

Now I just have to find those files in XP embedded...

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »
Ok, later i try to write the guide in english, for the ewf/horm file no problem, i have all file for do it!  ;)

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »
This is the way for have EWF/HORM in Win XP

1) Disable automatic update
2) Enable Hibernation: control pannel-power option-hibernate-check enable
3) Disable check password after stanby/ hibernation: control pannel-display-screen saver-power- uncheck it
4) Disable the Paging File: right-clicking on My Computer-Advanced-Performance-clicking the ‘Change’ button in the ‘Virtual memory’ section, and selecting ‘No paging file’

5) Download the file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8F0ER2YX
Extract the folder, find the tool ewftool.exe and click on:
a) install ewf
b) minimize disk writer
Third function not is necessary...

6)  Copy the file horm.dat on directory  C:/, copy the file ewfapi.dll ed ewfdll.dll present in the folder "Ewf-Horm files" to  c:\windows\system32

7) click on register file Horm.reg

Reboot the pc

Now you have the EWF function on your pc, if this option is enable all your modify to your system will be written in ram, not hard disk, example if you create one folder on your desktop in the next reboot not is present!
EWF system is necessary for work the HORM (Hibernate Once Resume Many), with HORM you create only one image of your hibernation and the pc use it many times!

For know if EWF is enable simply go to Into the Windows screen, press Start‐>Run…‐>type cmd‐> type ewfmgr c:

If the EWF is enable you can ready for create the hibernate file.
This function is able to make Windows XP booting about 10 seconds, make the power to ignore the system, and quickly return to boot the state would not harm the hard disk because the operating system to run entirely on memory side.

Now verify thet HORM is active , write ewfmgr , if is all ok this is the answer: "Horm active"

IF you are ready to create the hibernation set the mala front end active on your desktop, now there anre many way for go to hibernation, the more easy click on your keyboard the button "windows", choose tunr off computer and click hibernation, the next reboot is very fast and you can turn off  simply with switch of your cabinet :)
Next reboot is alwais the same with mala fornt end active!

Remember, if you want modify file present on your hard disk is necessary disable EWF system, you do it click on  Start‐>Run…‐>type cmd‐> type ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable (or click the file disabilita ewf.bat)
reboot the pc and now you can modify your system, when you have finisch click on  Start‐>Run…‐>type cmd‐> type ewfmgr c: -enable (or click the file abilita ewf.bat)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:06:28 pm by PaTrYcK »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »
Standby. I think I was the one who convinced Loadman to add support for standby, and I appreciate his work! It is very nice to have nearly instantaneous on and off. I am having no problems with it, other than that the "mala restarting" message sometimes seems to stay up longer than necessary. Oh, and the joystick seems to change game selections while that message is up btw.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 01:10:00 am »
Standby. I think I was the one who convinced Loadman to add support for standby, and I appreciate his work! It is very nice to have nearly instantaneous on and off. I am having no problems with it, other than that the "mala restarting" message sometimes seems to stay up longer than necessary. Oh, and the joystick seems to change game selections while that message is up btw.

Yes it was you.  :)

I put that message up so the user would understand that MaLa had not crashed it was just getting itself into a good state before allowing operation again.

The Joystick should not be allowed to work until that message has gone.  I will look at that  ;D

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:36:11 am »
Hibernate function is similar to stanby, but hibernate is better because allows to switch off the pc...

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 08:43:04 am »
Hi Patryck

Just FYI on the upload, there's and exe file in there called EWF&HormManager.exe that you don't reference in the writeup and that appears to be an AutoIt script of some sort that my AntiVirus is flagging as a potential unwanted app.

If it's not something that's actually necessary, it might be best to remove it from the RAR file.

I'm off to give it a whirl now.

Thanks for taking the time to rewrite your post!

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 09:00:12 am »
Hi sorry i don't understand fine, you have problem with file EWF&HORMmanager.exe?
If your antivirus find virus not worry, this is program in beta version, not is virus/malware, this tool is a GUI for enable or disable EWF function without use command promt or my bat file (abilita or disabilita ewf.bat)

If you want use it there are the istruction in the folder (leggimi.txt), but this folder not is necessary, if you want delete it...

IMPORTANT, when you ibernate your system you can turn off the arcade cabinet using the switch of your cabinet, the hibernation should be done only one time, the system use the image of your hibernation whenever you turn on the cab!

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:57 am »
I figured I was probably getting a false positive. The AV indicated it was a "Possible unwanted application" and not a "virus" per se.

It's likely just triggering on any EXE created with AutoIT.

Thanks again!

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:08 am »
Hi, i forgot to write an information about the ewf in command promt:

In the state you see your situation, ewf enable or disable, under this line is present the written "boot command", here you find information about your next reboot, in the photo is no comand, but for example if you have ewf enable and want disable it after you've given the command ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable (or click on my file disabilita ewf.bat) now the boot command is written disabe and after the reboot the ewf will be disable.

Sorry my english is not correct, this system EWF/HORM is very simple...
Is difficult write it, is more easy do it :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:36:54 am by PaTrYcK »

Triangel7D

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2017, 01:06:09 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
I have kids and have very little time to play. So I usually do a complete shutdown of the entire system.

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
I have kids and have very little time to play. So I usually do a complete shutdown of the entire system.
Only use the stanby the system not is completely shutdown, with hibernation the system is completely shutdown and you can unlpug the power ac of your cabinet

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:04 am »
I keep mine in standby for the EXACT reason that I have kids and little time to play. From 'off' to in my FE is faster than it takes the monitor to warm up, on the order of 1 or 2 seconds. Going back into standby 'off' is about the same.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:34 pm »
Another paranoid shutdown-n-unplugger here. Haven't actually pulled out the stopwatch, but I'm guessing my system boots in under 30 seconds from a full shutdown. I have enough patience to wait that long, usually.

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
With hibernate you reboot in 10 second, but not is important the time...
Enjoyment not is  only play to pac-man, but for me is find all system for have the mamecabinet that work similar to arcadecabinet...
With system EWF/HORM the reboot is faster as the arcadecabinet, and you can turn off the mamecabinet as arcadecabinet, using the switch of the cab :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:14:13 pm by PaTrYcK »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
I shut my machines all the way down when not in use. They are in a separate room so I'm not usually walking up and playing at various times through the day where standby functions would be useful. If any of the games (3 use MaLa) are on but not being used while hanging out in the gameroom, I usually leave them running a ROM, not sitting at the front end.

Same. The ROM acts as a bit of a screen saver, and it just looks right (",)

quadrider1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2012, 11:41:42 am
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 02:28:48 am »
Wired a switch onto the cocktail cab that shuts off all the power to the cab so i dont have to unplug it after shutdown. I dont want to take chances with that stuff.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »

Depending on the game, they're not screensaver enough, as is indicated in the monitors of game of old.
-Banned-

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:04 pm »
Depending on the game, they're not screensaver enough, as is indicated in the monitors of game of old.

Yeah memories of Arcade machines turned off with 'HIGH' or 'HIGH SCORE' burnt in at the top of the screen

FYI:  My thoughts at this point are to include an extra 'Hibernate' option in the MaLa exit options
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:18:28 pm by loadman »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:58 am »

Yes, if i were to leave it on for 12 hours a day, every day, on the one game, i would get screen burn. But I'm not, so it won't  ;)

Wired a switch onto the cocktail cab that shuts off all the power to the cab so i dont have to unplug it after shutdown. I dont want to take chances with that stuff.

I'm in Australia, so we might be doing it for slightly differnt reasons. Here, all wall sockets have switches anyway, so I can just switch it off at the wall. However, having lived in a city that has the highest lightning strike rate of any city in the world, in a thuderstorm there's not an unreasonable chance of a lightning strike outside your house. That voltage spike can jump the switch. That's why I'm still in the habit with my cab. Too lazy for most other things, but losing the cab would be heart breaking  :'(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:38:38 am by danny_galaga »

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 12:06:52 pm »

FYI:  My thoughts at this point are to include an extra 'Hibernate' option in the MaLa exit options

GREAT IDEA!!!

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:32 am »

FYI:  My thoughts at this point are to include an extra 'Hibernate' option in the MaLa exit options

GREAT IDEA!!!

I have added this for the next beta release (in a few days).

If you try and select 'Hibernate' as an exit option but not enable it in windows (Control panel - power options) it will not let you set it in MaLa as that would be confusing when the exit command would have no effect.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:46:31 am by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:11:51 am »
OK

Latest beta has Hibernate option.

Please try

Download the latest beta here (link under the release version) :
http://www.malafe.net/index.php?page=download

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 05:50:04 am »
Great!
Now i test it  :applaud: :applaud:

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 06:50:17 am »
OK

Latest beta has Hibernate option.

Please try
Hi loadman, the hibernate function work fine, thanks!!!!

One question, is possible leave the message: mala restarting after stanby or hibernate?
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »
One question, is possible leave the message: mala restarting after stanby or hibernate?

Sorry, You don't want the message or you want it reworded.?

The message is to explain to user that they have to wait a few seconds after restart as mala needs to do a few things before user can take control. I don't want user to think mala has crashed.

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:22 am »
Ok...mala need few seconds for start after hibernation... i ask if is possible delete the message bacause usually all programs/service are ready instantly when i use hibernation

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 04:59:54 am »
Ok...mala need few seconds for start after hibernation... i ask if is possible delete the message bacause usually all programs/service are ready instantly when i use hibernation

Not MaLa it seems :-(

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 05:26:31 pm »
Personally I shut the system down when not in use.
I have my PC configured so MaLa boots @ start up, then shuts down with escape.
I wired an escape button under the control panel of my Nintendo cabinet.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:29 am »
Now that I have added the option in MaLa to 'Hibernate' feel free to change your vote if your shutdown method of of choice changes