Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Admin buttons for Pinball build?  (Read 7351 times)

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
Admin buttons for Pinball build?
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
I'm building a Virtual pinball machine and need to figure out what buttons are needed/desired for the front.  I'd prefer not to clutter things up, but also don't want to be missing something that would be needed.

I'll be using Hyperpin with Visual Pinball and most likely Future Pinball.

Besides flipper buttons, power, coin, and start (1P), what else is possible?  I believe I've seen buttons for Instructions, Flyers, etc., but will I need stuff like Pause, Exit, etc?

Is there a list out there?? 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Admin buttons for Pinball build?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:43:14 pm »
Have you considered installing the software and looking at the various menus they have?
 ;)
NO MORE!!

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:59:53 pm »
Have you considered installing the software and looking at the various menus they have?
 ;)

Yes.

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:50:52 pm »
This is what I have on my cabinet.

Front of cabinet:
Plunger - Using Optical circuit.
Launch Ball Button Plunger/trigger

Start
Extra Ball/Buy In
Exit
Instructions
Flyers
Genre/Favorites

Sides:
Each side has 2 flipper buttons

Admin buttons located inside coin door:
Coin door open/close switch
4 buttons wired to input 7, 8, 9 and 0

Under:
Hidden Credit button - Coin door/coin mechs are wired to give credit as well.

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:01 pm »
Thanks for the input Dazz!

I did find the I, G, F buttons in Hyperspin.  I had previously not been aware of or come across these :P.  I will include most of these on the front of my cab.

I do have a few follow up questions, if you don't mind..

I'm planning on mercury switches for nudges, but I am also planning on 2 flippers buttons per side with the thought that these could be used for games with 2 flippers (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106971.msg1133426#msg1133426). 

Q1) Are you using your secondary flipper buttons for nudge?  Would the secondary flipper buttons be usable as I'm thinking? 

Q2) What is the Extra Ball/Buy In used for?  (It sounds self explanatory, but I've never played a pinball game with this feature)

Q3) Would I be missing anything without the Launch/Trigger button?  That's essentially the same as the plunger, yes?

Q4) What are the connections to 7, 8, 9 & 0 used for?

Q5) Where might I find buttons (with labels) for 'Instructions', 'Flyer', 'Genre/Favorites'?  I've checked Ultimarc, GGG, Marco, Pinball Life, etc. without much luck.

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »
Thanks for the input Dazz!

I did find the I, G, F buttons in Hyperspin.  I had previously not been aware of or come across these :P.  I will include most of these on the front of my cab.

I'm planning on mercury switches for nudges, but I am also planning on 2 flippers buttons per side with the thought that these could be used for games with 2 flippers (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106971.msg1133426#msg1133426). 

Q1) Are you using your secondary flipper buttons for nudge?  Would the secondary flipper buttons be usable as I'm thinking? 

Q2) What is the Extra Ball/Buy In used for?  (It sounds self explanatory, but I've never played a pinball game with this feature)

Q3) Would I be missing anything without the Launch/Trigger button?  That's essentially the same as the plunger, yes?

Q5) Where might I find buttons (with labels) for 'Instructions', 'Flyer', 'Genre/Favorites'?  I've checked Ultimarc, GGG, Marco, Pinball Life, etc. without much luck.

1.  No.  I used them for magnasave and games that have 3 or 4 flippers individually controlled.
2.  Some games allow for that (Star Trek, Indiana Jones, etc).
3.  Some games do not support a plunger.  Without a launch button you would not be able to play them.
5.  Most buttons can be taken apart and a label placed between the lens and the button.
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:37 pm »
I did find the I, G, F buttons in Hyperspin.  I had previously not been aware of or come across these :P.  I will include most of these on the front of my cab.

Q1) Are you using your secondary flipper buttons for nudge?  Would the secondary flipper buttons be usable as I'm thinking?  

Q2) What is the Extra Ball/Buy In used for?  (It sounds self explanatory, but I've never played a pinball game with this feature)

Q3) Would I be missing anything without the Launch/Trigger button?  That's essentially the same as the plunger, yes?

Q5) Where might I find buttons (with labels) for 'Instructions', 'Flyer', 'Genre/Favorites'?  I've checked Ultimarc, GGG, Marco, Pinball Life, etc. without much luck.

Quote from: shilmover
1.  No.  I used them for magnasave and games that have 3 or 4 flippers individually controlled.
   Okay, that's what I'm looking to do.  Are they mapped to certain 'keys'?  Also, for games that don't have 3-4 flipper buttons, can these be configured for nudge?  (I know in MAME you can easily configure different buttons per different game, but I haven't figured that out for Hyperspin)
2.  Some games allow for that (Star Trek, Indiana Jones, etc).
 I'll have to look into this, but I think I'd lean toward skipping this.
3.  Some games do not support a plunger.  Without a launch button you would not be able to play them.  
I was not aware of that!  Doesn't it come down to a 'switch'?  Could you elaborate on this?  Any examples?

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »
for #3.

It depends if you use a plunger with a button or the Mot-Ion one.  If you use a button, you dont need a launch button.
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:37 am »
Still trying to figure out buttons for my pinball cabinet.  Is there a way to pause Visual Pinball through Hyperpin? 

I read somewhere that someone is using a button for "Genre/Pause".  I read another place where F2 would pause. 

I want to minimize the visible buttons and will most likely install Instructions, Flyers and maybe even Genre underneath the cabinet.  But, if Pause can be done and can be coupled with Genre, I'd most likely add it to the front.

Can buttons be used for multiple purposes (ie, one function when in game and another when in the menu)?

For the front, I'll believe I'll need plunger, coin, start and Esc (exit).  Sound about right?

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
Pushbuttons aside, what key/keys on a keyboard would be used for PAUSE in Hyperpin?

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
Boy, either this forum is pretty dead or I'm asking questions that have been answered....

If so I apologize, but please point me to where they've been answered and I'll gladly peruse that area.  Unfortunately, my searches keep bringing me back to my own posts.  :P

Can anyone help with the following?

1) Which keyboard key would be pressed to purchase an 'EXTRA BALL" for games that allow the purchase of an extra ball in VP/Hyperpin?

2) Which keyboard key would 'PAUSE' in VP/Hyperpin?

3) Which keyboard keys would be used for secondary flippers (left and right) for games that allow for them?

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:52 am »
Boy, either this forum is pretty dead or I'm asking questions that have been answered....

If so I apologize, but please point me to where they've been answered and I'll gladly peruse that area.  Unfortunately, my searches keep bringing me back to my own posts.  :P

Can anyone help with the following?

1) Which keyboard key would be pressed to purchase an 'EXTRA BALL" for games that allow the purchase of an extra ball in VP/Hyperpin? Not a HP function.  VP uses 2 by default.

2) Which keyboard key would 'PAUSE' in VP/Hyperpin?This is pinball... There should be no pause.  To answer your question, I think it's just ESC.

3) Which keyboard keys would be used for secondary flippers (left and right) for games that allow for them?Have you checked the button settings/config in VP?

see answers in red above.