Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres: modeline generator engine  (Read 353234 times)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper
« Reply #1000 on: March 08, 2011, 08:42:10 am »
Hi bitbytebit, I'm thinking we have an alternative source for resolutions information looking at the size HxW of snap bitmaps, provided we have them available (usual). Snaps are normally taken from the game itself so the size will probably be the right one. That way you can have the information beforehand to setup SDL already with it.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #1001 on: March 08, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »
Hi bitbytebit, I'm thinking we have an alternative source for resolutions information looking at the size HxW of snap bitmaps, provided we have them available (usual). Snaps are normally taken from the game itself so the size will probably be the right one. That way you can have the information beforehand to setup SDL already with it.

The place it gets that information for those is window->target->compute_minimum_size(newwidth, newheight);, the compute_minimum_size() function.  That in theory, or at least I thought, would return the same size I get from what I'm doing which is basically asking the game driver what resolution it uses.  Now I do see that there is more complex layer checking in the compute_minimum_size() function so are you saying it'll give us the best resolution  or maximum the game  will switch to, and provide it at startup?  That would be cool if it did, although then the question is how to access it before the actual window layer is built and before things startup for the OSD.  I need to study it more, although if it doesn't calculate that information before the actual resolution switch occurs then it's basically the same information I'm using currently.  I'm not totally understanding how/where the resolution switch information is stored so we could access it ahead of time, maybe that function is the answer and those layers have it, or would it be something possibly in the rom and the request is sent from there to the driver and so it's more buried and harder to extract ahead of time.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1002 on: March 08, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
Well I didn't explain the idea properly, what I meant is a much more rudimentary approach. We usually have folder with snapshots of the game. Those png files actually contain the info for the main game's resolution (their HxW size), you can get that easily using Windows api, may be easy in Linux too. So, it that resolution is different from the one you get from the xml, then you can create both modelines at startup and have them ready for the resolution change when invoked.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1003 on: March 08, 2011, 06:29:27 pm »
Well I didn't explain the idea properly, what I meant is a much more rudimentary approach. We usually have folder with snapshots of the game. Those png files actually contain the info for the main game's resolution (their HxW size), you can get that easily using Windows api, may be easy in Linux too. So, it that resolution is different from the one you get from the xml, then you can create both modelines at startup and have them ready for the resolution change when invoked.
That gives me an idea, we actually could avoid any need for images and just when a game switches resolutions write it out to a .ini file for the game with some new config name like switchres=640x480@60 which we can have as many of those as we need and at startup switchres can check for those .ini file settings and add those as extra resolutions for the game to use.  First run of the game would generate them, and after that any later run of the game would be able to switch resolutions and it'd work for both Windows and Linux. I'll have to do some tests, it really shouldn't be too hard but I will need to have an array of modelines which might prove interesting at least with the registry stuff in Windows.  Hopefully easier than I'm thinking, could be some oddities but in Linux it's probably going to be pretty simple actually using xrandr.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1004 on: March 09, 2011, 05:00:37 am »
I just checked my snaps collection here to see how accurate it is, and I'm seeing it's not such a reliable source of information as I expected, some snaps don't have the right size at all so the behaviour would be a bit unpredictable. I will check for a better collection in the internet. However your approach using inis will work for sure, at least after you run the game once.
Steps to create a log:

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #1005 on: March 13, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »
Hi I have already tested the new version 1,500, for the time being perfect, I have not found errors.
I created a tutorial in Spanish, and a video, if calamity or another person can be encouraged tradrucir and you can put on your website or forum.
I also want to ask for help from the people, have the courage to try to make the ini file's if necessary or you think it will not be necessary? I say this because these games like Golden Axe 2 etc. .. not catch your correct resolution and you have to create the ini.
In this way I think we'll have more testers to help you make mistakes.

Developments that have or where are you now?

Tutorial.

http://www.retrovicio.org/foro/showthread.php?14969-GroovyArcade-Por-fin-100-Pixel-Perfect-y-mucho-mas

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:04:16 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1006 on: March 13, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »
Hi I have already tested the new version 1,500, for the time being perfect, I have not found errors.
I created a tutorial in Spanish, and a video, if calamity or another person can be encouraged tradrucir and you can put on your website or forum.
I also want to ask for help from the people, have the courage to try to make the ini file's if necessary or you think it will not be necessary? I say this because these games like Golden Axe 2 etc. .. not catch your correct resolution and you have to create the ini.
In this way I think we'll have more testers to help you make mistakes.

Developments that have or where are you now?

Tutorial.

http://www.retrovicio.org/foro/showthread.php?14969-GroovyArcade-Por-fin-100-Pixel-Perfect-y-mucho-mas

Thanks.

Cool, I've been working on getting the linux SDL to resolution switch properly and Windows to hopefully do it too.  I'm close, Windows might work and Calamity is testing for me.  In Linux I'm close, hopefully, but there's a few issues there and I'm trying to work them out.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1007 on: March 15, 2011, 10:05:21 am »
Hello bitbytebit, I have created scripts that automatically loads the wiimotes GroovyArcade once you start.

Code: [Select]
#!/sbin/runscript
# Author: Ves
# Date:   14/03/11
# Version 0.1
# Created for GroovyArcade
# You must change the parameters wiimote1 and wiimote2
# It uses lswm to identify your wiimote

Wiimote1="00:19:1D:00:00:00"
Wiimote2="00:1E:A9:00:00:00"

start() {
   ebegin "Starting Wiimote"

wminput -d -c ir_ptr $Wiimote1 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
sleep 1
wminput -d -c ir_ptr.2 $Wiimote2 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

}

stop() {
ebegin "Shutting down Wiimote"
killall -9 wminput

}

For those who want to try:

touch /etc/init.d/wiimote
chmod +x /etc/init.d/wiimote
edit and copy the above text in the file /etc/init.d/wiimote
update-rc add wiimote default
reboot

Remember to change directions Wiimote1 and Wiimote2, you can find using the command lswm and synchronizing.

Thank.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:20:49 am by ves »

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:27 am »
Bitbytebit Hi, I saw that you included the script for the next version, but I've noticed that only work a Wiimote.
You should include this several more files, and also change the button A and B, that is the shot so the pumps B and A, in the gun games, I put my configuration files.

ir_ptr
#ir_ptr

include buttons   
Plugin.led.Led1 = 1       <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 1
Plugin.ir_ptr.X = ~ABS_X
Plugin.ir_ptr.Y = ~ABS_Y

ir_ptr.2
#ir_ptr

include buttons
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1     <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 2
Plugin.ir_ptr.X = ~ABS_X
Plugin.ir_ptr.Y = ~ABS_Y

mamebuttons
Wiimote.A = BTN_RIGHT
Wiimote.B = BTN_LEFT

Or

Wiimote.A               = KEY_LEFTALT
Wiimote.B               = KEY_LEFTCTRL

Have you tried the script, do you think? I like how the wiimote as a gun? you had any error or failure?

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:12 am »
Bitbytebit Hi, I saw that you included the script for the next version, but I've noticed that only work a Wiimote.
You should include this several more files, and also change the button A and B, that is the shot so the pumps B and A, in the gun games, I put my configuration files.

ir_ptr
#ir_ptr

include buttons   
Plugin.led.Led1 = 1       <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 1
Plugin.ir_ptr.X = ~ABS_X
Plugin.ir_ptr.Y = ~ABS_Y

ir_ptr.2
#ir_ptr

include buttons
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1     <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 2
Plugin.ir_ptr.X = ~ABS_X
Plugin.ir_ptr.Y = ~ABS_Y

mamebuttons
Wiimote.A = BTN_RIGHT
Wiimote.B = BTN_LEFT

Or

Wiimote.A               = KEY_LEFTALT
Wiimote.B               = KEY_LEFTCTRL

Have you tried the script, do you think? I like how the wiimote as a gun? you had any error or failure?

Thanks.

Cool, I updated the scripts to those settings and added the player two script.  I plan on eventually creating a setup that enabled the init.d startup script to run if chosen and has a user choose the wii remotes MAC settings hopefully automated.  I haven't had time to look at it closely lately, when I did it mostly worked as a normal controller and the gun/pointer part of it was decent yet would kind of get jittery towards the edges of the screen.  Having the classic controllers setup definitely adds fun to the NES emulator though, and even nice for a few arcade games too.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:47 am »
Hi, I also happened to me once that the pointer shakes too, but I think if you can sync the 2 wiimotes at a time, and is connected to the sensor bar, the tremor is much lower.

Follow your git almost every day, and I saw that you are upgrading the data folder, with folders snap roms, etc of each emulator, but as I've said many times better than I are data folders for each emulator and within all subfolders of configurations snap roms etc, because I'm seeing so very, very chaotic.

As you bear the test with the new groovymame? if you need help tell me anything, and I also get tested.
For when a new version?

Thanks to titles included in the wiimote, but it is not necessary, just create the script for you and so try to contribute something however small.

Thanks

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1011 on: March 19, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
Hi, I also happened to me once that the pointer shakes too, but I think if you can sync the 2 wiimotes at a time, and is connected to the sensor bar, the tremor is much lower.

Follow your git almost every day, and I saw that you are upgrading the data folder, with folders snap roms, etc of each emulator, but as I've said many times better than I are data folders for each emulator and within all subfolders of configurations snap roms etc, because I'm seeing so very, very chaotic.

As you bear the test with the new groovymame? if you need help tell me anything, and I also get tested.
For when a new version?

Thanks to titles included in the wiimote, but it is not necessary, just create the script for you and so try to contribute something however small.

Thanks

I've basically made the /data/ drive contain directories already setup and changed the structure to less of a tree and basically EMULATOR_roms and EMULATOR_snaps type formats.  This seems simplest because then a person can browse to the ROMS share on a windows network and see the right folders to drop roms and snaps into automatically.

Right now I'm working on auto-partitioning and getting grub-install to work right without any need for the user to do any extra work, also trying to slim down the amount of work to install. 

I have added the midnight commander console file manager to help make it easier for people to do file manager things, seems that's a popular file manager.

I'm not sure when the next release will be, maybe in a day or so, depends on if I can nail down this grub setup issue, it seems to not always work correctly.

In the next version, games that automatically change resolution in mid-game will work, so that's pretty cool, so now the -changeres option fully works with the modeline generation and setup in groovymame. 
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1012 on: March 20, 2011, 06:34:31 am »
New Groovy Arcade Linux ISO images are up, version 1.515, contain full modeline resolution switching for games changing resolution to test and hopefully enjoy.  Also a few other major installation improvements so no longer have to deal with manual partitioning and manual grub setup... 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107620.msg1170720#msg1170720
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1013 on: March 20, 2011, 07:11:26 am »
Thanks, I'm down to try it, as you have it report my impressions.

By the way where you want to keep the post, here or in the section of linux?

Where is the groovymame code 008, do not see it in the git?

bitbytebit remember that if it sounds bad any comments sentence is automatic translator google

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1014 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:15 am »
Thanks, I'm down to try it, as you have it report my impressions.

By the way where you want to keep the post, here or in the section of linux?

Where is the groovymame code 008, do not see it in the git?

bitbytebit remember that if it sounds bad any comments sentence is automatic translator google

I think it is good to keep the monitor switchres stuff here, and linux leaning stuff in the Linux section, although since the distributions main purpose is to center around the capability of switchres/modelines I figure it's important to announce here the releases of the ISO.  Also discuss the monitor specific technical stuff here, any Linux specific stuff in the Linux thread.  Seems like a nice way to keep it organized.

Sounds great, can't wait to see how it goes testing, I'm hoping this one really makes the installation seamless.  I'm sure there's still rough edges, so hopefully this gets the biggest issue of grub install and partitioning out of the way for the finer details.

I'm not sure about groovymame 008, the version numbering hasn't been as clean right now unfortunately, but it's at 011 currently and 008 was probably buggy :) Will see how Calamity does on 011, and you can test it too, hopefully I fixed the major issues in Windows there now with resolution changes in-game and in Linux it should work now too. (same but different, quite interesting in both cases what is required, SDL was not a great help but a one line change in SDL makes it able to see new modelines added with xrandr without restarting mame).

Yeah google translate isn't so bad it seems for Spanish, I've been reading Japanese blogs lately about the earthquake and for that, google translate is so much worse :)
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1015 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »
Hi, I have already tested the new version 64bit 1.515:

Automatic partitioning works well, but only created 2 partitions swap and root, because it creates home? and that first creates the swap partition rather than the root?

GroovyMame works perfectly with games in different resolutions like Golden Axe 2, ghost chasea etc or at least where tested, have not been many, and try it again.

Grub works fine, but for quite some time, new problems arose?

If the data partition is created, does not create or copy folders snap roms and emulators and the various cat.

Scripst wiimote does not start at the beginning, it lacks the update-rc add wiimote default

Do not know if it will be a failure to download the iso, the record or is a real error GroovyArcade, but if I run the wiimote or do you load from the beginning to put a game in mame always takes the characters to the left may not play But advmenu not pass, so that also could be for groovymame? tomorrow I will go back down, will write and proves again.

You have to edit the file and change the option ir_ptr.2 that identifies with the led, because it identifies the two controls with LED 1.

ir_ptr

ir_ptr.2
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1       <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 1

A colleague reminded me of a project to use the LPT port as a ipac, making a very very simple little invention. It created the Openppjoy, I put the links because it would be interesting to include it, it's just a small module for the kernel.

https://code.google.com/p/openppjoy/
http://david.dantoine.org/destacado/6/

A couple of suggestions may be included in the section gasetup configure the network for static? and also in the emulators section edit the wiimote to change wiimote1 wiimote2?

Will report more things remember when, but I think there are no more.  ;)

Thank you very much.  :notworthy:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1016 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »
Hi, I have already tested the new version 64bit 1.515:

Automatic partitioning works well, but only created 2 partitions swap and root, because it creates home? and that first creates the swap partition rather than the root?

GroovyMame works perfectly with games in different resolutions like Golden Axe 2, ghost chasea etc or at least where tested, have not been many, and try it again.

Grub works fine, but for quite some time, new problems arose?

If the data partition is created, does not create or copy folders snap roms and emulators and the various cat.

Scripst wiimote does not start at the beginning, it lacks the update-rc add wiimote default

Do not know if it will be a failure to download the iso, the record or is a real error GroovyArcade, but if I run the wiimote or do you load from the beginning to put a game in mame always takes the characters to the left may not play But advmenu not pass, so that also could be for groovymame? tomorrow I will go back down, will write and proves again.

You have to edit the file and change the option ir_ptr.2 that identifies with the led, because it identifies the two controls with LED 1.

ir_ptr

ir_ptr.2
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1       <<<<< This option identifies the wiimote and put the LED in 1

A colleague reminded me of a project to use the LPT port as a ipac, making a very very simple little invention. It created the Openppjoy, I put the links because it would be interesting to include it, it's just a small module for the kernel.

https://code.google.com/p/openppjoy/
http://david.dantoine.org/destacado/6/

A couple of suggestions may be included in the section gasetup configure the network for static? and also in the emulators section edit the wiimote to change wiimote1 wiimote2?

Will report more things remember when, but I think there are no more.  ;)

Thank you very much.  :notworthy:

Yeah the ability to create more than 2 partitions gets complicated because we really need to know the full hard drive size and decide for the user how much they need, anyways I figure in non-LiveCd setups a home directory isn't really needed, just one main partition should technically be good.  Know that saving some data on there would be nice, avoid having to backup on re-install, so am planning on possibly making it so a 1 gig or more home drive is setup, but hard to tell what is best for a user.

The grub setup was failing for some users, so I now use a more fail-safe method and no longer require a separate manual setup of grub.  It worked before mostly, but now should work always, I hope.  Now I'm using grub-install on the basic drive name like /dev/sda plus setting up the grub mapping file properly too, so it's much more 'correct' in how it sets up grub.

Yeah the /data/ directories are not created if you have a drive already with roms/snaps, figure if already there then the user is going to have to edit advance menu config anyways and point to them.  Really don't need a separate partition/drive unless already have a drive with the roms/snaps, and again it's just a basic suggestion of names of directories, otherwise they can setup advance menu and put roms into the directories they setup there manually, or let the default setup exist and just drop them into the windows network share.

Yeah the wii remote isn't setup to start by default, will have a menu option to enable it eventually.  Since it doesn't seem like something to run by default unless a person has a wii remote, and they'll need an actual MAC address in the startup anyways, so should be some user chosen setup for that else it just seems like it'll be running something extra by default.

I'll have to look at the lpt port kernel module, sounds interesting, but again would be something I would want to let the user enable manually, to conserve an extra resources being used by running daemons.

Definitely good feedback, thanks!
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1017 on: March 23, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
Hi, I confirm that when running wminput, whether or not synchronized controls, makes the game suck always move in one direction left, if you change the value from 0 to 0.35 joystick_deadzone goes right, the code can be something that has changed in the sdl? as the joystick uses sdl, I need to confirm if it happens also in the 32-bit version.

If you disable the joystick mame.ini works smoothly, but does not work as gun control, just as a normal joystick.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:05:56 am by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1018 on: March 23, 2011, 10:13:39 am »
Hi, I confirm that when running wminput, whether or not synchronized controls, makes the game suck always move in one direction left, if you change the value from 0 to 0.35 joystick_deadzone goes right, the code can be something that has changed in the sdl? as the joystick uses sdl, I need to confirm if it happens also in the 32-bit version.

If you disable the joystick mame.ini works smoothly, but does not work as gun control, just as a normal joystick.

Thanks.
It wouldn't be in SDL, it hasn't changed at all besides a one line alteration in the ListModes() call, so couldn't be that. 

If you look at the recent git updates, you'll see some of the changes I am making that might be interesting, I'm completely reworking the location of the roms and the automated partitioning.  basically setups up /home /boot / as separate partitions, puts roms under /home/roms/ now (including /roms/roms/roms/ for mame which will maybe become /home/roms/Mame_roms/ to avoid redundancy).  Throws away the whole idea of a /home/arcade/ partition unless using a LiveCD only, else it's /home/ that's separate.  Can have /home/roms/ be a separate drive to use USB or other types of media.  Basically trying to also make the install simpler, and liveCD setup simpler, so the menu is being redone completely in how it presents things.  So by the end of this week, should have ISO's up with those changes, and hopefully separate out the LiveCD setup from the Install and simplify things quite a bit.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1019 on: March 23, 2011, 10:34:26 am »
Bitbytebit, you can try if you so with cwiid?

Later looking at the git, the whole kernel source or diff and git groovymame in?

Another thing that could help the usbmount, automatically mounts the usb and it would be much easier for beginners.

Openppjoy going to include in the end?

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1020 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:41 am »
Bitbytebit, you can try if you so with cwiid?

Later looking at the git, the whole kernel source or diff and git groovymame in?

Another thing that could help the usbmount, automatically mounts the usb and it would be much easier for beginners.

Openppjoy going to include in the end?

Thanks.
The latest Git check ins should show the changes, mainly in the gasetup directory.

Yeah I will get to those, but right now focusing my time I have on the initial setup still, trying to get it so more users can do the basic install.  There are issues with grub setup that this should fix, having a smaller /boot directory that is ext2 hopefully solves that issue.  Also the windows NTFS mapping to /home/roms should work now with my latest changes.  Just the basic simplistic install too, getting that so a user that doesn't want to go into details can just run the install choice and it'll lead them through all setup.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1021 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Hello, you step report of what I've seen in virtual machine.

I think the installation is now much more confused, because when you install asks you to configure almost everything again.

When you run the auto partitioning hd from the installation option, it tells you which are the partitions (logical) but asks you going to use partition for / home and / roms which do not know, because it creates the following.
sda1 / boot 100mb
sda2 / Swap XXgb.
sda3 / XXgb.

By asking the partition where you are going to install groovyarcade out sda1 and sda3, and you might think because it is for groovyarcade sda1 and sda3 is for roms / home, but it is not so, which is not done well and grub installation failure .

I think you should make only 3 automatic partitioning
sda1 / root for all
sda2 /home/  this could be optional, and do that when you install a backup groovyarcade is hiciese in /data of the user's home.
sda3 / swap

And leave the choice to put the partition /data as before to have the roms, especially if you use a ntfs partition, which I do not think there will let you put the home, do you?

I was once more clean and clear way to make the installation and configuration of everything.

Well after seeing this, I have started to install again, but once the installation has failed grub, and I have not been able to get away.
I've changed a thousand times the options from grub to sda2 Label ram .. etc but it has not worked.

I think I should not ask in the installation of the HD, you set all the parameters Anteriror if you already have configured.

Then I will continue and you will report more things.

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1022 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31:51 pm »
Hello, you step report of what I've seen in virtual machine.

I think the installation is now much more confused, because when you install asks you to configure almost everything again.

When you run the auto partitioning hd from the installation option, it tells you which are the partitions (logical) but asks you going to use partition for / home and / roms which do not know, because it creates the following.
sda1 / boot 100mb
sda2 / Swap XXgb.
sda3 / XXgb.

By asking the partition where you are going to install groovyarcade out sda1 and sda3, and you might think because it is for groovyarcade sda1 and sda3 is for roms / home, but it is not so, which is not done well and grub installation failure .

I think you should make only 3 automatic partitioning
sda1 / root for all
sda2 /home/  this could be optional, and do that when you install a backup groovyarcade is hiciese in /data of the user's home.
sda3 / swap

And leave the choice to put the partition /data as before to have the roms, especially if you use a ntfs partition, which I do not think there will let you put the home, do you?

I was once more clean and clear way to make the installation and configuration of everything.

Well after seeing this, I have started to install again, but once the installation has failed grub, and I have not been able to get away.
I've changed a thousand times the options from grub to sda2 Label ram .. etc but it has not worked.

I think I should not ask in the installation of the HD, you set all the parameters Anteriror if you already have configured.

Then I will continue and you will report more things.

Thanks.

The /boot partition is needed actually in some cases of bios's out there which the grub MBR on a large partition doesn't work and it needs to be ext2 type to work.

I really guess the setup option could be moved into the LiveCD section, but yet it is good for after setup has been done, I just have it ask again in Install to make sure the user has really went through the setup parts.  I can do something to check and not ask again if they already entered those menus, was going to do that, but didn't get around to it yet and figured for now it just makes sure they did it.

Actually the /home is pretty important now, and to have the roms under /home/roms/ because that will allow us to upgrade in the future by preserving /home and not reformatting it on an update.  So just the /boot and / drives will be installed to, and they save all the /home/ and /home/roms/ information.

I'm not sure why it's failing, are you choosing a roms drive or possibly something else, I've done lots of tests and installed it on a system, so something is odd, the grub installation always has been working so far.  Have you tried it just running the install option and rebooting, possibly more details of exactly which paths lead to failure, since I'm guessing there's some part of setup or variable failing.  How big is the virtual disk drive your using to install to? 

I'll do some more tests later when I can and try to see what is going on, also will work on getting the install to check and not ask about setup options if you've already done them in the menu.

Do you have the output of 'fdisk -l' after install, or autopartitioning, and output of 'df -h' too, possibly the output of 'cat /groovyarcade/boot/grub/grub.conf' to see how grub.conf got configured?  Those might help figure some things out.

Thanks
--
The Groovy Organization

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #1023 on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:22 am »
So I've switched my monitor over to a new Makvision 29" SVGA CRT. It's a 31kHz monitor. I'm still trying to pin down exactly what resolutions it does and how many modes it will store, but it certainly does 640x480 and 800x600. the label on the chassis says hfreq 30-40kHz, vsync 47-90hz.

How would you recommend setting up groovymame to take advantage of this monitor best? I've been tinkering with settings myself, but so far I've been unable to get it to correctly fill the screen without turning on hardware stretching, which I'd like to avoid as I don't like the soft look of the filtering.

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1024 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:51 am »
Hi, I've had more time to do the tests I mention that this was.

Virtual Machine and automatic partitioning.

to install asks if you have a directory of roms if you say yes, and do not have a partition dedicated to roms you fail.

If you install and you say you do not have a partition dedicated to roms installed fine but then fails to boot, is not Ga-home, it makes sense because no home partition is created automatically.
If you see fstab shows / = LABEL = Ga-home / sda2 ....

Remember that just automatically creates 3 ​​partitions boot, root and swap, when you should create 4 partitions to take home, in the menu have not found anything that refers to using a partition as home, or in the installation asks you for a home partition, but a partition for roms.
Well I've seen an option where I do not remember saying something to save the data, may be the option to create home? if so should be more visible and the partition section and also be present in the hard disk installation.

Truly arcade machine partitions.

sda1 / root 10gb.
sda2 / roms 450GB
sda3 / swap 2GB

Installed and everything works fine.
In the clear version Anteriror home since formatted and was always backing up home, so I decided to remove it and follow those steps for now.

I think if you create a partition of about 10GB for root, no need to use the boot partition as this is small and I've always works well with grub.

Do not think that when you do the installation to the hard drive if you ask the network of sound, etc. should not ask for the configuration of the orientation and aspect of the video?

Could you explain, that option is really worth the Video Card KHz output?

Start the Frontend option you should put it in the main menu.

You need to change this option for the second wiimote led out in position 2.

ir_ptr.2
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1      
I have seen the bug that causes cwiid wminput when running, that moves the character on one side of the screen is the option of mame joystick, the maps will be active all directions up down left right etc with its appropriate letter keyboard but also with the joi 0 1 2 3 etc, there is also an error when entering the mame menu you can not go up or use the menu left to right in because that button is annoying and you have to map it again, this me going on in my normal pc, but do not remember how to solve it, I look and I mention as it was, anyway, so that error does not occur when you play you have to enter the mapping of player 1 and 2 and map the directions above again left right and down, it will not move the character and you can only play.

It can be a mame error and you are using versions of tests, which version you used before launching the livecd 1,515 or 1.5 as it was at this particular version when the error occurred

Just like that I have the h9110 mame.ini for my monitor out of sync a few games I can sync with the potentiometer and others (so I could try are the vertical sync I can not ever) there are also games that are repeated throughout the game mini screen windows of sync, I have changed many mame options and did not work, only VGA, and why opengl for soft switching is used to solve.

If I put the option in mame.ini of VGA1:
Horizontal games are working but I have narrowed the option to change the section full video in mame to cropped and stretched so the entire screen.
The vertical games do not work, does nothing the option of 3:4 4:3 etc. .. in mame.ini are always flattened, the only thing I can do is stretch them, but they look like 16:9
And games like dragon ball z using various resolutions are always focused on very small screen but like a tv 9 "

An observation more direct links to your web livecd do not work always go to a web page not found error 404.

Thank

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:49:33 am by ves »

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1025 on: March 26, 2011, 07:39:14 am »
Hello bitbytebit , I have seen in the diff you have changed this option in relation to the joystick mame, it may be that by changing that parameter, which when compiled mame needed for some of sync etc? from when you changed that option?

- { "joystick_deadzone;joy_deadzone;jdz",      "0.3",  0,          "center deadzone range for joystick where change is ignored (0.0 center, 1.0 end)" },

+ { "joystick_deadzone;joy_deadzone;jdz",      "0",  0,          "center deadzone range for joystick where change is ignored (0.0 center, 1.0 end)" },

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #1026 on: March 26, 2011, 10:07:55 am »
Guys...

Amazing thread.  Very technical.  I've spent the last four hours skimming through this thread...

I have a 29" tri-sync monitor in my Big Century cabinet.  On the chasis sticker, it lists:

H-Freq: 15/24/31khz
V-Freq: 47-70hz

I believe it is a wei-ya monitor from googling.  Last summer, I spent ALOT of time trying to get MAME as perfect as I could.  It looked wonderful using a combination of Soft15khz, Quickres and an ATI 4350, however, I had to keep making too many manual adjustments to the v/h-size/position when switching between different games, and by nature, I was reluctant to play it due to this.  I wanted to be able to play a different game, and for it to adjust and fit the screen automatically.

Whilst I appreciate there is no 'one size fits all' resolution and you need to find a happy medium, I was hoping for something a little better to avoid having to manually change the v/h-size/position quite so often and quite so radically.

For example, using Hyperspin, set to 640x480, some games fitted the screen perfectly, whereas others were way off and needed to major an adjustment to get them to fill the screen, and as a consequence, when I exited back to Hyperspin, the Hyperspin front-end screen position was then way off and the next game that was loaded up was more than likely way off...

I researched modelines and the like, but could never really get my head around them completely.

In the end, I just gave up and the cab has been lying, neglected for the last 6 months.  Hey, I'm a perfectionist!  I want to be able to show it off to my friends and play different games, but without the hassle of adjusting the screen each and every time I changed games.  Obviously, this detracts from the whole gaming experience somewhat...

Soooooo, this thread sounds exactly what I have been waiting for.  I am tempted to spend today trying to get this setup but I have a few questions:

I would rather stick to Windows, because I want to use Hyperspin.  If I could get MAME running near perfect, which if I'm not mistaken - is what this thread is all about, without having to manually adjust quite so much, that would be fantastic.

1.  What operating system is recommended.  I currently have Windows 7 64-bit on my PC, but I could dual-boot it no problem, with either XP32 or XP64, if they will work better with the hacked ATI drivers.  I'd prefer 64-bit obviously, but I'm not sure how far developed the hacked 64-bit drivers are.

2. Which files do I need do download/install, and where do I place these files.  This makes me appear lazy and useless, but I'm genuinely stumped as I've looked for a 'How To' guide for Windows in the thread and I've been unable to locate one.

Answers to those two questions would be enough to get me under way.  I like to tinker and try and work things out for myself, so that should keep me occupied for the next few hours!

TIA
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:13:55 am by MonkeyJug »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1027 on: March 26, 2011, 11:06:01 am »
In the end, I just gave up and the cab has been lying, neglected for the last 6 months.  Hey, I'm a perfectionist!  I want to be able to show it off to my friends and play different games, but without the hassle of adjusting the screen each and every time I changed games.  Obviously, this detracts from the whole gaming experience somewhat...

Yeah I share your point completely. However, be aware that vertical amplitude adjustment is usually only possible by tweaking your controls/potenciometers. On the other hand, horizontal amplitude can be calculated by the modeline generator to be very similar from game to game, slight differences will exist however due to the discrete nature of modeline elements.

1.  What operating system is recommended.  I currently have Windows 7 64-bit on my PC, but I could dual-boot it no problem, with either XP32 or XP64, if they will work better with the hacked ATI drivers.  I'd prefer 64-bit obviously, but I'm not sure how far developed the hacked 64-bit drivers are.

2. Which files do I need do download/install, and where do I place these files.  This makes me appear lazy and useless, but I'm genuinely stumped as I've looked for a 'How To' guide for Windows in the thread and I've been unable to locate one.

You shouldn't use Windows 7 for serious CRT stuff. Get XP-64 instead and try my last hacked drivers. Still beta but have tried them for some weeks with no problem at all on a HD4350.

http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/viewtopic.php?id=1424
This one link-> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LXF3NDHL

Install the drivers, restart and you should already be outputting 15Khz though the dvi connector (use a dvi-vga adapter). If you like, go to your download folder, try Arcade_OSD to navigate through your installed modelines and test modes.

Now get GroovyMame for XP-64: http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyMame/0141u3/
Install it in a clean folder, then in the command line run "groovymame -createconfig"
Edit Mame.ini with your roms folder and go down to the "# CORE SwitchRes OPTIONS" and edit the "monitor cga" option to match yours (I'd try d9800 for yours).

Now try "groovymame rom" to run the games... that's all.

On the Hyperspin fronted subject, there's a confirmed interaction among Hyperspin and my drivers, well for what I could see if the number of modelines defined in the system is bigger that a given amount (around 100) then Hyperspin won't load. There's the possiblity of using less modelines but then the fun is over. I wrote to Hyperspin's creator and fortunately he said he'll look at that and maybe fix it for next version 2.0.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:08:01 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1028 on: March 26, 2011, 11:23:56 am »
So I've switched my monitor over to a new Makvision 29" SVGA CRT. It's a 31kHz monitor. I'm still trying to pin down exactly what resolutions it does and how many modes it will store, but it certainly does 640x480 and 800x600. the label on the chassis says hfreq 30-40kHz, vsync 47-90hz.

How would you recommend setting up groovymame to take advantage of this monitor best? I've been tinkering with settings myself, but so far I've been unable to get it to correctly fill the screen without turning on hardware stretching, which I'd like to avoid as I don't like the soft look of the filtering.
Sounds like there needs to be a monitor type specifically for that monitor, with those ranges setup.  The best way to do that would be adding also the front porch back porch and sync pulse values exactly from the monitor specs, then it would be the most centered and results would be the most predictable.  That's how I got my d9800 looking best, when those values were correct, else things were not always right at certain calculations.  If you can get those technical specs, I can use them and make a new monitor definition, and basically it's mostly up to the calculations and monitor specs to see what the possibilities are.  It's probably going to require doublescan I'm guessing for many of the resolutions I think, then again it's really up to the logic and calculations in the switchres code, Calamity probably can be more specific about the detailed outcome of if and how much stretching is going to be necessary.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1029 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »
Hi, I've had more time to do the tests I mention that this was.

Virtual Machine and automatic partitioning.

to install asks if you have a directory of roms if you say yes, and do not have a partition dedicated to roms you fail.

If you install and you say you do not have a partition dedicated to roms installed fine but then fails to boot, is not Ga-home, it makes sense because no home partition is created automatically.
If you see fstab shows / = LABEL = Ga-home / sda2 ....

Remember that just automatically creates 3 ​​partitions boot, root and swap, when you should create 4 partitions to take home, in the menu have not found anything that refers to using a partition as home, or in the installation asks you for a home partition, but a partition for roms.
Well I've seen an option where I do not remember saying something to save the data, may be the option to create home? if so should be more visible and the partition section and also be present in the hard disk installation.

Truly arcade machine partitions.

sda1 / root 10gb.
sda2 / roms 450GB
sda3 / swap 2GB

Installed and everything works fine.
In the clear version Anteriror home since formatted and was always backing up home, so I decided to remove it and follow those steps for now.

I think if you create a partition of about 10GB for root, no need to use the boot partition as this is small and I've always works well with grub.

Do not think that when you do the installation to the hard drive if you ask the network of sound, etc. should not ask for the configuration of the orientation and aspect of the video?

Could you explain, that option is really worth the Video Card KHz output?

Start the Frontend option you should put it in the main menu.

You need to change this option for the second wiimote led out in position 2.

ir_ptr.2
Plugin.led.Led2 = 1      
I have seen the bug that causes cwiid wminput when running, that moves the character on one side of the screen is the option of mame joystick, the maps will be active all directions up down left right etc with its appropriate letter keyboard but also with the joi 0 1 2 3 etc, there is also an error when entering the mame menu you can not go up or use the menu left to right in because that button is annoying and you have to map it again, this me going on in my normal pc, but do not remember how to solve it, I look and I mention as it was, anyway, so that error does not occur when you play you have to enter the mapping of player 1 and 2 and map the directions above again left right and down, it will not move the character and you can only play.

It can be a mame error and you are using versions of tests, which version you used before launching the livecd 1,515 or 1.5 as it was at this particular version when the error occurred

Just like that I have the h9110 mame.ini for my monitor out of sync a few games I can sync with the potentiometer and others (so I could try are the vertical sync I can not ever) there are also games that are repeated throughout the game mini screen windows of sync, I have changed many mame options and did not work, only VGA, and why opengl for soft switching is used to solve.

If I put the option in mame.ini of VGA1:
Horizontal games are working but I have narrowed the option to change the section full video in mame to cropped and stretched so the entire screen.
The vertical games do not work, does nothing the option of 3:4 4:3 etc. .. in mame.ini are always flattened, the only thing I can do is stretch them, but they look like 16:9
And games like dragon ball z using various resolutions are always focused on very small screen but like a tv 9 "

An observation more direct links to your web livecd do not work always go to a web page not found error 404.

Thank

I just fixed the ir_ptr.2 file and also changed the joystick option back to .03 so those should be right now.

Is it VGA-1, I am pretty sure VGA1 won't work, unless you left out the - part, which is definitely important there.  I'm not sure, I haven't seen the games have issues with the different aspect values, are you using the monitor_aspect option?  I do need to have it able to setup the right monitor_connector in mame.ini or automatically in groovymame and guess it like switchres did.  This is something I hopefully will do soon, and possibly part of the issue?

The home partition should be created, I'm not sure what is happening, here's what the partitions look like when I install...

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          14      112423+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2              15         270     2056320   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3             271        2311    16394332+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            2312      243197  1934916795   83  Linux

That is what it is trying to do, I'm not sure what is happening though there, is the drive big enough, or possibly something else odd going on? 

I changed it so the Video option is asked for now too, before I just checked for xorg.conf and only did that, but now ask for the section instead. 

I'm not sure about the roms drive setup, which has to be on a different physical disk drive, else it wouldn't be necessary anyways.  The drive must be completely empty too, else it won't make all 4 partitions, could that be the possible problem?  Basically the idea of the roms drive is that your main drive is not large enough, so it would be a separate drive, not the same as the main installation partitions above. 

I will do more testing and try to figure out what is going on, there might be a bug when the right/wrong options are picked, but if you just first off go into Installation and only do that, then what happens?  It in theory, since that's what I do mostly, should just work.

What does your fstab look like exactly, and output of `fdisk -l`?

The front end change is something that seems right for the System menu, and helps keep the menus from growing, I'm trying to keep the main menu as small as possible, hopefully the front end option isn't really necessary but for advanced cases.

The Video card Khz output option basically edits grub.conf and addes the video= lines for connector outputs, or removes them, can change it after an install that way.  You of course can't change it on the LiveCD since it can't save that and even during an install it shouldn't be changed since if you booted up to install that should be the same way you first reboot into it.

--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1030 on: March 26, 2011, 02:19:41 pm »
You shouldn't use Windows 7 for serious CRT stuff. Get XP-64 instead and try my last hacked drivers. Still beta but have tried them for some weeks with no problem at all on a HD4350.

Hi Calamity,

Thanks for the swift reply.  I've just installed XP64 (forgot how much of a pain it was without native SATA support), and I'm now having problems installing your hacked 64-bit ATI drivers.  They just hang PC at the black screen, with cursor flashing in the top left corner...

I've tried forcing the install manually, but still no go...

any ideas?

also, one other question - where does soft15khz and quickres fit into the equation?  Do I even need to install these?  Fired up soft15khz just out of curiousity and it didn't detect the 4350 card, even though rebooting in safe mode (only way to get to desktop after hacked driver install) showed the 4350 in device manager...

edit: just tried the original 9.3 drivers, and same issue...  back to the drawing board!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:47:04 pm by MonkeyJug »

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1031 on: March 26, 2011, 03:28:36 pm »
Hello bitbytebit in the virtual machine is 8 gb hd, and the real machine I have not let the the HD format, otherwise you would lose all roms ;)

df -hT

sda3 ext4 6.9gb /
sda1 ext2 107mb /boot
udev devtmpfs 10mb /dev
shm tmpfs 504 /dev/shm

cat fstab

label=/GA       /     ext4 noatime
label=Gahome        /home    ext4 noatime (booting error, but rather the system load)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs
label=SwapSpace none swap

I've seen you've changed the option in the mame.ini joystick, but I'm not sure that works, I do not understand me when I ask if he could be about to change that option in the source code, and from that version groovymame have you changed? because that error is from 1515, before that version did not pass.

Thank.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1032 on: March 26, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
Hi Calamity,

Thanks for the swift reply.  I've just installed XP64 (forgot how much of a pain it was without native SATA support), and I'm now having problems installing your hacked 64-bit ATI drivers.  They just hang PC at the black screen, with cursor flashing in the top left corner...

I've tried forcing the install manually, but still no go...

any ideas?

also, one other question - where does soft15khz and quickres fit into the equation?  Do I even need to install these?  Fired up soft15khz just out of curiousity and it didn't detect the 4350 card, even though rebooting in safe mode (only way to get to desktop after hacked driver install) showed the 4350 in device manager...

edit: just tried the original 9.3 drivers, and same issue...  back to the drawing board!

Maybe it's a driver installation issue, I forgot to say it's convenient to run Catalyst Uninstaller before doing any new driver install:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1275

Sometimes default Windows drivers can have a newer timestamp that the ones we are trying to install, and that could be an issue if Windows decides to mess them up with ours.

Of course I'm assuming your using your dvi output.

If my drivers are properly installed then you don't need to use Soft-15khz at all. You can run Soft-15Khz with my drivers and it will overwrite the already installed modelines (both methods use the registry to store the modelines, so they are actually the same method, it's only that my drivers have the modelines ready from the installation moment). So in case you can't finally get my drivers working you can go for the normal Catalyst and install Soft-15Khz on them, the difference is that you'll have a maximum of 60 possible modelines simultaneously while with my driver you have up to 128 modelines available, and the installed mode table is specially designed to be used together with GroovyMame, so the results will be much richer.

Update: make sure to run CatUninstaller booting in safe mode, and if needed run it several times (yes, sometimes for some reason it works that way). Cross fingers...

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:31:24 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1033 on: March 26, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »
Hello bitbytebit in the virtual machine is 8 gb hd, and the real machine I have not let the the HD format, otherwise you would lose all roms ;)

df -hT

sda3 ext4 6.9gb /
sda1 ext2 107mb /boot
udev devtmpfs 10mb /dev
shm tmpfs 504 /dev/shm

cat fstab

label=/GA       /     ext4 noatime
label=Gahome        /home    ext4 noatime (booting error, but rather the system load)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs

I've seen you've changed the option in the mame.ini joystick, but I'm not sure that works, I do not understand me when I ask if he could be about to change that option in the source code, and from that version groovymame have you changed? because that error is from 1515, before that version did not pass.

Thank.

I see what the problem is, it's the way I'm partitioning and choosing the sizes, 8 gig is too small for my current method I am guessing.  I will have to make the / drive smaller in that case and put more towards /home/.  I'm guessing it's actually label=/GAhome /home above, else that might be an issue too.  Try to use a 16 gig virtual drive and see if that works, I'm guessing it will, I hadn't tested it for 8 gig or smaller but now see that might be an issue, but I'll fix it so it'll work.

Oh what value should the joystick be, is it 0?  I had thought .03 was what you said was better, but just let me know what works best and I'll change it. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:19:32 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1034 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »
...so the results will be much richer.

You can say that again!!!

WOW... Just WOW!!

I'm gobsmacked by what you guys have achieved!

Turns out I have a dodgy PCI-E socket.  Swapped the card into the other socket and your drivers loaded first time.  Then I had an issue getting the picture to stop rolling at the desktop.  Couldn't quite get it to stay perfectly still, and I remembered I had to tick a box in ATI CCC to enable 'Composite Sync'...  Off the top of your head, is this normal?  I've googled it and it seems like it can be dangerous, but it's ticked at the moment, and as soon as I ticked it, the picture flickered briefly and became perfect...  btw, I have a J-pac installed, but I'm running the monitor VGA lead straight to my video card (using VGA-DVI connector), bypassing the J-pac altogether...

Anyway, it all appears to be working perfectly and just as I have always dreamed of!  I've just spent the last hour trying to catch it out, but not once did I have to manually adjust any V or H-size.  Every game I threw at it fired up in it's native resolution and maxed out my screen right to the edges without me having to do anything!

Amazing work guys!

It's just a shame about Hyperspin though.  I guess the holy grail would be having this AND Hyperspin running together, but I suppose that will happen in time...

A couple of questions:

1.  In the mame.ini, I have done as you said, and set monitor to 'd9800', but should I also change monitor_connector to 'DVI'?

Are there any other settings you'd recommend setting for optimal performance?  I noticed a few games seemed to play rather slowly, and I have a beast of a PC running MAME.

2.  In Progear, can you confirm the screen is higher than it is wider?  I thought it would have been more widescreen considering the type of game...  Sorry for having to use layman's terms, but it's best if I describe it how I see it!

Thanks again for this amazing piece of software!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1035 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:13 pm »
...so the results will be much richer.

1.  In the mame.ini, I have done as you said, and set monitor to 'd9800', but should I also change monitor_connector to 'DVI'?

Are there any other settings you'd recommend setting for optimal performance?  I noticed a few games seemed to play rather slowly, and I have a beast of a PC running MAME.

2.  In Progear, can you confirm the screen is higher than it is wider?  I thought it would have been more widescreen considering the type of game...  Sorry for having to use layman's terms, but it's best if I describe it how I see it!

Thanks again for this amazing piece of software!

The monitor_connector setting is actually just a Linux specific setting, so no need to worry about it in Windows.

Calamity may know more about progear, calculating it in switchres shows it would use a modeline like this...

# progear 384x224@59.63 15.2651Khz
   ModeLine          "384x224x59.63" 7.693624 384 400 440 504 224 231 234 256 -HSync -VSync

It depends on the games, if they've played slowly before, some in Mame are just like that because imperfect emulation for them currently (like Radikal Bikers) or else it might be other issues, which Calamity can test in Windows and I can test in Linux to see if given games and the behavior they show there.

Thanks, definitely awesome to see this working well for you, and thanks for helping improve it in the future by giving feedback.
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1036 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »
cheers bitbytebit...  great software!

got progear sorted - not sure what i was doing wrong.

i found a few games that won't sync - donpachi and flying shark being two of them that i can remember.  can any of you point me in the right direction to get these running?  flying shark was one of my favourite games when i was a boy!  i'm guessing i need to play about with the arcade_osd, but i'm scared of it!  

btw, slightly off topic, but when i launch a game via the GroovyMame executable, it seems different than when i launch it via the command-line.  with command line, the colours seem much more vibrant and crisper and there is a CLEAR difference in quality between the two methods of launching.  not sure why this is so...  which method uses the mame.ini i created via the mame -cc command? the executable or the command line?

edit:  just remembered, i changed d3d to ddraw - would this be what is making it look nicer?

tia
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:29:50 pm by MonkeyJug »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1037 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:29 am »
Hi MonkeyJug,

Thanks for your words and feedback.

If you solved the sync issue by using ticking the composite sync it's just ok. It could be either your monitor just requires that, your vga cable is wired for that, or your monitor's sync polarity needs to be setup for positive/negative. I can't be more specific as I have never met this problem myself and always worked for me with negative polarity, but I remember bitbytebit needed to set some of the polarities to possitive for his monitor in the modeline generator.

Games that run slow usually do that with normal Mame too. What happens is that if a given game was reaching the cpu limit without vsync and still working fluently, if we set vsync on (we need to) the fps may drop to 50%, as a consequence of the Mame not being able to render the whole frame between two vsync periods, so it will require two integer periods to render it and thus it'll drop fps to 50% normally. There's nothing you can do about it but disabling waitvsync and syncrefresh and shoulder with the tearing.

You should always use ddraw with this build. If you run from command line, GroovyMame will use the right options for that specific game, that's why it looks nice, but if you select from Mame's inner frontend then there's a high possibility that the right options are not applying, it could even default to your desktop resolution, etc.

My drivers at the moment are optimized for the H9110 monitor, so most resolutions will be just ok for yours, but a few of them could not match the ones GroovyMame expects to find when the D9800 is selected in Mame.ini. Vertical games like twincobr or donpachi my suffer from that. You could try those games by using the -monitor H9110 option from command line, to see if it works like that. I'm planning to extend my drivers eventually to do all monitor modelines to perfectly match the ones GroovyMame expects, it's only that you are one of the first ones trying this in Windows, I highly appreciate your feedback.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1038 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:09 am »

df -hT

sda3 ext4 6.9gb /
sda1 ext2 107mb /boot
udev devtmpfs 10mb /dev
shm tmpfs 504 /dev/shm

cat fstab

label=/GA       /     ext4 noatime
label=Gahome        /home    ext4 noatime (booting error, but rather the system load)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs
I've seen some more issues, and it's odd but basically I now agree that there shouldn't be a /home/ partition and just / /boot and then possibly /home/roms.  I am finding that in the virtualbox VM an 8 gig partition is too tricky to divide up between / and /home, if the / drive is 4 gig the install fails, even though it shouldn't and doesn't take up 4 gig to install.  So I'm just giving up on that, and it's easier to keep things simpler like you've thought.    I think part of the issue, from what I can tell, the virtual disk drives in the VM are not able to fully hold capacity so my 4 gig virtual drive only held 2.4 gig of data or something like that.  I'm still not sure why, and doing some tests now with the changes to make sure, but seems like that was the issue with an 8 gig drive (and with my fixed setup, the current ISO definitely will fail on 8 gig drives or less still).

Hopefully I have new ISO's in the next day or two with these changes, plus the improved install without asking about settings if you've already set them.

If you are able, you can always checkout/git the gasetup directory from git and boot the live cd, do `rm /opt && cp -rpda /mnt/livecd/opt /` then copy it into /opt/gasetup, to basically update the gasetup with the current ISO before running Install.  This is what I do to test, so don't have to burn new ISO's over and over and can work on the setup script much quicker.  Really the only script/file in there that changes is /opt/gasetup/core/procedures/interactive so if you get that from the git repository then can just copy it over, the /opt directory normally on the CD is non-writable and just a symlink to /mnt/livecd/opt/ so that's why you have to do the rm /opt trick above and copy it over into the in-ram tmpfs file system.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1039 on: March 27, 2011, 08:13:40 am »
Ok, if I have time proves it, but it is difficult because the arcade where I have no internet.

I've seen that you have not changed the value of the joystick_dead_zone in mame source code, it would be interesting to see if it makes everything
work well.

{ "joystick_deadzone;joy_deadzone;jdz",      "0.3",  0,          "center deadzone range for joystick where change is ignored (0.0 center, 1.0 end)" },
Since the version you changed the value of the joystick? is to see whether related or not that change, since the problem was from the version 1.151.

Thank.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:26:48 am by ves »