Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 Blades jammed in a jigsaw to minimise blade flexing??  (Read 2878 times)

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
2 Blades jammed in a jigsaw to minimise blade flexing??
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:36:05 pm »
just read this:

While I've never tried it, I do know of woodworkers who have used their jigsaw to make curved cuts in thick stock, but to do so, they placed two jigsaw blades in their jigsaw. While not all jigsaws can accommodate two blades simultaneously, it might be worth investigating. You'll want to go slow, but the second blade will help minimize blade flex.

source: http://woodworking.about.com/od/dealingwithproblems/qt/CutThickStock.htm

Is that even safe?

zafdor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2010, 11:17:59 am
Re: 2 Blades jammed in a jigsaw to minimise blade flexing??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:57:47 pm »
Sounds like an invitation to a mishap.  It you really want the cut perfect, rough it with a jigsaw, them make a template and trim it with a router.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:23:56 pm »
Sounds like an invitation to a mishap.  It you really want the cut perfect, rough it with a jigsaw, them make a template and trim it with a router.

This is my plan as well.  I have some 'interesting' cuts to make, let's say, for my cabinet, and I'm sure a template will be a requirement for my Project.

jamesmackswell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2010, 09:43:26 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:26 pm »
If you move very slowly, you can twist the blade a little bit at a time to open up some wiggle room. Or buy a thicker blade.

r32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2011, 05:44:28 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »
First off, if it's any decent kind of jigsaw, you won't be able to fit 2 blades in there.

Secondly, you're asking for a big time mishap. Follow the explicit instructions that came with the Jigsaw and do a bit more research on the proper way to cut wood. No use losing a hand over an arcade cabinet, since you're probably going to need both to actively play most games.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:11 pm »
Its been a long time, but I believe Ive done this before, and it worked just fine.

A Jigsaw is not a high speed device.  Even if a blade shears off, its pointed away from you,
and embedded into what its cutting.  Worst case is that you break 2 blades instead of one.

A router on the other hand, IS a dangerous high speed device.  Any attempts to make your own cutting tool for that, would be asking for trouble.

Btw - Ive also repaired snapped jigsaw blades by grinding down the blades edge so it will fit back into the slot.  Works great.