Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MillerCade! Now 100% complete WOOHOO  (Read 34546 times)

DirtyDachshunds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
MillerCade! Now 100% complete WOOHOO
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:47:12 pm »
Finished pics!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:51:12 am by DirtyDachshunds »

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
Re: Introducing the MillerCade!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
Construction has begun!

I just finished the keyboard/mouse drawer a couple days ago.  Everything will be laminated black.  I can't decide what I am going to do with the sides of the cabinet.  I will either laminate them, and make a lighted circular design similar to the Aliens cab and many others.  Or I will try to come up with some side art and print it from GameOnGrafix.  I'm leaning towards the ladder.  I might do a screen shot collage of my favorite games.

Alright, I'm off to get back to work on the cab!

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:59:33 pm »
I love the CP artwork. It's simple, the graphics are easy on the eyes, there's plenty of colour, but it isn't distracting.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »
I love the CP artwork. It's simple, the graphics are easy on the eyes, there's plenty of colour, but it isn't distracting.

Thanks, I've gotten mixed reviews from people.  But I like it, and that's all the matters.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »
I find that the more detailed the art, the harder it is to look away from!

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »
looks good, i like the control panel art (i'd love to do something similar, where did you get those ninja turtles from?)

as for the marquee, it is a very cool idea, however i agree that the C needs some work, i thought it said "Miller Lade"

this list of controls looks great too.  i just set up my 4player panel with two u360s and two JLWs. it seems you are getting alot of Ultimarc products, i'm  just curious why you chose the electric ice trackball over the Utrak? I have a Utrak and i love it, it is so easy to mount in a wooden panel

anyway, it looks like you are off to a good start, keep those pics coming
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:40 pm »
You can find the Turtles here http://vectorlib.free.fr/TMNT/
I got the electric ice trackball because I wanted an illuminated clear trackball, and that was the best option IMO.  The U-trak didn't offer a translucent white trackball.  I am not illuminating my cab at the moment, but I will in my 'phase 2' of the arcade.

My job is taking over my life this week, so progress has slowed, but I will post updated pictures this weekend.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »
You can find the Turtles here http://vectorlib.free.fr/TMNT/
I got the electric ice trackball because I wanted an illuminated clear trackball, and that was the best option IMO.  The U-trak didn't offer a translucent white trackball.  I am not illuminating my cab at the moment, but I will in my 'phase 2' of the arcade.

My job is taking over my life this week, so progress has slowed, but I will post updated pictures this weekend.

thanks for the link, it's too bad they don't have all 4 turtles. i was really hoping for all of them

just FYI>.the Utrak does offer a translucent white ball...it is listed as "Pearl", they just don't have any pictures of it on their site that arent lit up blue.  that is the one i bought..it has a very pearly white look to it when not lit, and is stunning when lit from below (blue and red look the best).

here it is without the light..

here it is lit up RED

and here it is BLUE

im sure the GGG model is awesome too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:16:41 pm by severdhed »

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:36 am »
 :applaud:  :applaud:
       Love the artwork on both control panels. You can never go wrong with Street Fighter. Keep those pics coming.

Severhed, got a link to your cabinet? I'm digging that super mario bros CP.

:cheers:

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:31:27 am »
How about something like this .....

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »
How about something like this .....

I like it.  I'm playing around with different font styles of the letter 'C' to see what I like.  

I should have time to work on the arcade today and hope to have the base all laminated, painted, t-molded, and touched up by this weekend.

Wasn't able to work on it yesterday because I had to bottle my pumpkin ale.

Nothing like a home brew at my arcade ;)

Edit: Severdhed, looking back I probably should have went with the U-trak, but I'm happy with the GGG ball and the mounting kit doesn't seem to make it too hard to mount.  I liked how the lighting kit came with the ball.  However, I haven't started my CP yet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:13:32 pm by DirtyDachshunds »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »
:applaud:  :applaud:
       Love the artwork on both control panels. You can never go wrong with Street Fighter. Keep those pics coming.

Severhed, got a link to your cabinet? I'm digging that super mario bros CP.

thanks, here is a link to my project thread, the mario artwork was from a poster i picked up at walmart

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106266.0

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:35 am »
Just ordered all the CP equipment, and...*ouch*

But alas, spare no expense for a job well done!

Ultimarc:
1 x AimTrak Light Gun Electronics Kit
Type: Complete kit

1 x AimTrak Light Gun Electronics Kit
Type: No LED PCB (Second gun)

2 x AimTrak Light Gun Housing Kit
8 x Classic Pushbuttons.
Color: Black

4 x Classic Pushbuttons.
Color: White

1 x Crimp Connectors
1 x Flyweight for SpinTrak
Type: Large

1 x I-PAC <sup>4</sup> Interface.
Cable Type: USB Cable

1 x Knobs for SpinTrak
Color: Red/Silver Large

1 x SpinTrak Rotary Control
Cable Type: USB Interface

2 x UltraStik 360 Optional Hard Spring
2 x UltraStik 360 Oval Top with USB cable

Order Total: $508.40

Lizardlick:
276 Bundle Item: 272272-1
Sanwa LB-30-N Bat Top, Black   
$0.00 x 2
$0.00
   113 IL Translucent Horizontal Pushbutton, Red   
$2.95 x 14
$41.30
   110 IL Translucent Horizontal Pushbutton, Blue   
$2.95 x 17
$50.15
   272272-1 Sanwa JLW-UM-8 Joystick
$19.95 x 2
$39.90
Subtotal: $131.35

So about $650 in all, and I spent another $150 or so already for a few buttons and the electic Ice trackball from GGG.

Hope it's all worth it!

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »
Update:
Base is all complete.  Laminated and fit with T-molding.

I put the top of the CP on as well to see how it would look.  The CP is HUGE I know, and I like it that way.

Next I begin work on the CP.  I should have more time off this week to work on the arcade.  It's coming along! 

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:38 pm »
IMO, your art is mismatched. You should do something to tie the marquee and control panel art together. It could be something as simple as a logo or duplicating colors. Seeing them together in your first post, they don't appear to be off the same machine.

I actually think you should ditch the existing CP art altogether and carry the beer theme down to the panel. Its original and simple enough to look like "real" machine art.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »
IMO, your art is mismatched. You should do something to tie the marquee and control panel art together. It could be something as simple as a logo or duplicating colors. Seeing them together in your first post, they don't appear to be off the same machine.

I actually think you should ditch the existing CP art altogether and carry the beer theme down to the panel. Its original and simple enough to look like "real" machine art.

The picture I posted isn't the final marquee, it's just the logo in the middle of the marquee.  I just thought the Miller Lite logo would work nicely with the cab (my last name, and the blue/red colors tie in nicely).  Once I figure out the logo I like, I'll make sure everything matches.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:06:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:24 am »

+25
-Mars

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:32:05 am »
I appreciate the your opinions.  I like the CP art, so I think I'm going to keep it.  It seems like if there are any characters on the CP or if it isn't space themed, people here don't like it, which is fine.  I just never did understand all of planets and space themes on the CPs.

I want my arcade to feel be like an arcade.  That's why I went the direction I did.  Some people like it, some don't.

I do appreciate all of your opinions.  It's all subjective.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:06:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:39 am »
but keep in mind: arcades generally have one theme all over.

I don't dislike your CP.

but if you have a logo on the side, a logo on the marquee... better keep the same logo on the CP.

Or, what I say is ditch the miller logo everywhere else and keep with the CP-themed artwork all over.

Now, if you don't care about people's opinion, why do you post a thread asking for opinion?

nevermind... its your box, you'll be the one regretting the decision in the long run, so what do we care?
-Mars

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:49:35 am »
but keep in mind: arcades generally have one theme all over.

I don't dislike your CP.

but if you have a logo on the side, a logo on the marquee... better keep the same logo on the CP.

Or, what I say is ditch the miller logo everywhere else and keep with the CP-themed artwork all over.

Now, if you don't care about people's opinion, why do you post a thread asking for opinion?

nevermind... its your box, you'll be the one regretting the decision in the long run, so what do we care?

Ouch, brutal.

I'm not planning to use the logo on the side.  Just the Marquee.  I haven't worked on the side art yet at all, but I am thinking about including screen shots of my fav arcade games somehow.  Maybe as an 50% opaque background, I dunno yet.

Anyway, I never said I didn't care about people's opinions.  But that doesn't mean I have to follow everything I am told here either.  I hear opinions and take them into consideration.

The cab won't be as mismatched as you are imagining.  I want to keep the theme of the CP, just an arcade like style...but I want to name the arcade MillerCade, so I thought it would be clever to use the Miller Lite logo.  I never imagined theming the cab after Miller Lite.  I want text with the name on my Marquee regardless, I just thought the stylized Miller Lite logo will work.

Let me work on the Marquee this week, and I'll try to post a near complete version of it.  It's hard to verbalize my ideas sometimes.  But my plan in the beginning is to have an arcade feel with some arcade characters etc.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:53:02 am by DirtyDachshunds »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »
I think it'll be fine. Just don't make it too busy on the sides. One suggestion to tie it together better is to use the same colours in the CP and the marquee - for example, take the blues from the millercade logo and try to bring the blues on sub-zero, ryu's and leo's headbands closer to that - and then take the red on the left side [boson, dirk, raph and akuma over there on the left] and bring them closer to the "miller" part of the logo.

I personally wouldn't go to so much trouble, I like the familiar logo for a marquee and the CP art isn't clashing with it in my mind. Depending on what you do to the sides, I think it has potential to be a great machine.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 08:03:05 am »
Alright, so yesterday I took a day off work to account for all the over time I've been working (unpaid....darn salary), so I was able to make good progress on the cab...Sorry no updated Marquee yet.  But I was able to finish the control panel box.  It is 4.5" deep in the back and 2.5" deep in the front, giving it a downward slope around 4.5 degrees or so.  I was able to laminate the box and decided to put T-molding on the bottom to snaz it up a little.

Here are some pictures of what I did yesterday.  Then I got derailed.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:01 am »
When I finished my CP box, my order for Ultimarc came which shipped from the UK the day before!  I wasn't expecting it until later in the week.  So of course I had to play with my new toys.  Unfortunately, the joysticks, buttons, spinners and the like all require me to drill and route out the control panel, then wire them up.
I was too anxious to get playing soon, so I put together the aimtrak with their housing and setup the half complete arcade in the living room (Wife less than happy, but I assured her it was temporary).  After an hour or two of setting everything up and calibrating the aimtraks, it was gaming time.

We all played Area 51, Carnevil, Maximum Force among few others.  After a little tweaking with the ini settings, they all played great!  I forgot how hard Area 51 is, I really need to increase my trigger finger endurance.

Short aimtrak with housing review:
Installing the aimtrak with the housing was a breeze.  Took about 30min for both guns including finding the installation procedure from ultimarc.  Once installed, both guns were found on Win 7 via plug in play.  No drivers needed.  After calibrating the guns, I was noticing the cursors were acting erratic and jumpy.  It was a very sunny day, and I found in the troubleshooting guide that this can happen with bright light.  I waited for the sun to go down (no blinds in the room yet) and the problem went away. 
The gun housing does its job.  It is light and can appear flimsy.  I want to add some weight to the handle, and am deciding the best way to do that. 
Also, when moving the you can hear something inside moving slightly.  I believe it is the auxiliary buttons near the nozzle and not the aimtrak module, but I need to investigate that as well.
Overall, I am very please with my aimtraks.  Playing all my favorite shooters just like I was at the arcade brought back all kinds of memories.

I'll review the rest of my hardware when I install and test them.

Can anyone name the game being played in the pics below?  I know it's blurry.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 08:32:50 am »
+24

Fix'd for obvious beer related number.

;D

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27:02 am »
Alright, time for another update.
Finally, with some time off work, I was able to focus on the arcade.  I have been extremely eager to play so I wanted to get something playable quickly.  Over the last few days, I finished the CP including routing the joysticks/trackball, and drilling the 1-1/8 holes for everything else.  And with a 4P CP with as many buttons as I have, it took a long time.  Then I had to mount and wire all of the controls, which took equally long.

But I eventually got it all done.  After some troubleshooting, everything is working great!  I told myself after I finish with the CP, I'll take a week or two off to enjoy the games :)

I'm not 100% done with the CP as I eventually plan on adding plexi, vinyl art, and LEDs, that will be done later.  But it is playable the way it is and that's all I care about for now.

So I'm having tons of fun playing everything on my 1/2 finished cab!  I'll try to take part in the next high score challenge, then it's back on to finishing the cabinet.  But I will be sure to enjoy my break.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 11:16:51 am »
I'm very sorry for your loss to Wisconsin.....MUAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize, that was just mean.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:39:40 am by BadMouth »

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 04:10:24 pm »
I'm very sorry for your loss to Wisconsin.....MUAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize, that was just mean.

Hah, ino worries.  Wisconsin is tough, and playing in Madison is even harder.  They brought out all of our weaknesses, and their running game is insane.  John Clay is a beast.

Anyway, I tried to put the logo on the CP to see if I liked it.  I'm undecided.  I'm might scrap the Miller Lite thing for something different.  I wish the logo was wider.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:12:58 pm by DirtyDachshunds »

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
Introducing the MillerCade! *10/31 update*
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Alright time for another update.

So after I got everything mounted on the control panel the wiring began.  The wiring took about 4 hours, and you can see it is still pretty messy, but operable!  After it is all tested, I'll clean it up.  Once the control panel was working, I took a week because the arcade itch was just too much and I had to play.  I had some friends over last weekend and we fully tested it out. 

We played some 2v2 nba jam and nfl blitz on the dreamcast among other games.  I'm glad I made my CP as big as it is, because it's still tight with 4 full grown men around it, and I have no regrets with the amount of buttons I have.  It looks good IMO.

So after my week break, I got back to work.  More painting of the inside of the cab, and doing other little touchups.  Now on to the top part of the cabinet.  I got the sides cut, slot cut, and attached today. It's starting to look like an arcade instead of just a TV on a stand!  I still haven't made art for the sides, I am currently in the middle of working on the marquee art.

So that's the progress so far.  This week I'm on the road for business and won't be able to work on it :(.  So the next update will likely be a couple weeks away.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
Also, I am about to order my art for the CP and had a question.  Since I will be covering the CP with plexiglass, would u recommend getting the art from a place like gameongrafix?  I am planning on getting my side art and marquee from them, but was wondering if I could save a few bucks getting the CP art somewhere else since it is protected with plexi?

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:19 am »
It's been a while since an update.  So here is a quick rundown of where I'm at.

I finally revised my 'logo' to make the C look better.  I like it much more now.

I also tried integrating it into my control panel art.  I have not had time to develop my marquee or side panel art yet, but I will probably integrate the logo into them as well.

I ordered my CP art from gameongrafix and it should hopefully be in soon!  Let me know what you think of the updated art.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
Let me know what you think of the updated art.

That looks so pro, man.  Congrats.  I was rooting for you with the whole 'c' debacle.  It looks perfect now.

:applaud:

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:58 am »
I have also finished all of the woodworking on the cabinet!!

I still have to do some touch-up painting and add the T-molding and side art.  But all the laminating and cutting are done!

Here are some updated pics.  Sorry for the crappy phone pics, when I'm all done, I'll post better pictures.  I'm really liking how everything is coming along.  The pictures make it look rougher than it is, but it'll all come together when I'm done.

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2019, 09:36:49 pm
  • Crowded elevators smell different to midgets...
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:19 am »
Looks awesome...

Could there be a way where you have each character throwing back a cold one?

Maybe have Akuma yelling "Taste Great!" Ryu saying "Less Filling!"

all joking aside...serousily it looks great
“If first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you..." ~ Jack Handy

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:57 am »
Looks awesome...

Could there be a way where you have each character throwing back a cold one?

Maybe have Akuma yelling "Taste Great!" Ryu saying "Less Filling!"

all joking aside...serousily it looks great

Haha, I like it.  I actually don't like Miller Lite, or any lighe american pilsner for that matter.  But I do like beer and I couldn't come up with any other name for the arcade.

And it's a logo that people are familiar with.

Thanks for the kind words.  I hoping to have everything 100% done in the next few weeks.

Then on the to next project...

Racing Simulator!

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
Re: Introducing the MillerCade! **Updated 11/15/10**
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Why Miller? Maybe I just dont get it, that wouldn't be the first time for me. :dunno Maybe draw some arcade elements into the marquee logo? Huge improvement on the original C [L]. But maybe the C could be a puck man or something...needs a gaming aspect to it though..

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »
Why Miller? Maybe I just dont get it, that wouldn't be the first time for me. :dunno Maybe draw some arcade elements into the marquee logo? Huge improvement on the original C [L]. But maybe the C could be a puck man or something...needs a gaming aspect to it though..
His name is Miller.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »

My last name is Miller.

And what wouldn't be the first time for you?  And why a puck-man instead of the 'C', I don't think I have any hockey references in the cab?  And if you mean pac-man, I don't think that goes with the logo.  I wanted to work with the miller lite logo because it is familiar with people....and I'm not artsy enough to make a better one  :P

The logo isn't the marquee.  Yes, it will be in the marquee most likely, but I've said above I haven't made the marquee yet...or the side art

...stupid work    :(

Rick

• Offline Offline

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »
How do you not like Miller Lite?! I think its the best light american pilsner that doesnt add to the gut. I used to be a silver bullet fan, but miller has less carbs. Gotta watch that stuff when you have the betes.  :hissy:]

Im with Rick, the C looks way better than it did before. Rock on.
Pictures are overrated anyway.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 01:32:47 pm »
How do you not like Miller Lite?! I think its the best light american pilsner that doesnt add to the gut. I used to be a silver bullet fan, but miller has less carbs. Gotta watch that stuff when you have the betes.  :hissy:]

Im with Rick, the C looks way better than it did before. Rock on.

If it's between Coors, Bud, and Miller...I'd go with the Miller.  At least Miller Lite brews with Barley instead of rice like the others.  But they're all water.  During this time of year I'm usually drinking Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Great Lakes Christmas Ale...but I'm not as concerned about carbs and calories.

Although, I think I'll have to drink a Miller Lite when it's all complete.

Cheers!  :cheers: