Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Useful programs - Add you own to this list!  (Read 2640 times)

Henrik68000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
Useful programs - Add you own to this list!
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:34 am »
I hope this list can be a really usefull one for newcommers and poeple who has a need for a special program. Please be exact when decribing the programs, not pages full of one program, and please state what you use it for. Dont think 'people probaly know this program so I wont list it'

Thanks!

Prism Video Converter - A small but wonderfull and powerfull program that can take a batch of videofiles and convert them to a chosen standard. I've used the program on my game videos and they all run at their best now. The format they was made in was never optimal. Set encoder options to Mpg4 and sound as you please (I personal set sound as low as possible in quality to minimize file size since i don't use sound, since there's no option for removing the sound alltogether). I know of many people how had problems with video in Mala and this program sorted all out. E.g if they wont play, or if there's a delay before they do, this will go away.

Imageconverter Plus A brilliant little program that can take one or a whole collection of pic's and convert them into just about anything. Size, type, crop, etc. I used it on all my game still pictures.

Fuzzy Rename For renaming game files, game pictures, game videos, game cover. Does approx. 80% of the job automatically. Just some has to be hand edited. Nothing i given on these automatic programs but, still it would be a pain with out them. Watch out for files that have different names but where the target file ends up with more of the same names.

Instand Sheller This is for removing windows completely (the look, explorer) when you have a frontend that's ready for cab mounting. This
program makes it easy to do an otherwise tricky thing, that is not for novices. When you have done the program routine, your PC will start up with your front end. When you close your pc it will close with your frontend. It's possible to make an into screen and an extro screen. (Insted of the XP logo screen build into windows), but color pallette is very limited and the file type are a special one, not the usual png or jpeg. Still i manage to make my screens whit in a few hours. There's a return to normal' (back to windows starting up) routine that is not especially easy. It involves the cursor that has been turned into a dot so it can be very hard to see it. I made my own cursor just a little bit more visible. Still read about this program on the net, and try it out on a test HD disk with a dummy setup to start with. That's my advise.

AutoHotkey This program takes any keyboard input and turns it into to a given output, and can still retain the original output if needed. I used it on emus that had fixed key that did not fit with my Mame inspired standart for my cab. Indispensable, and there's so much it can do that  I can not list it all here and I'm still learning. (The basíc code is easy even for novices).

Closemul A tool for running emus that have a difficult relation to frontends. Can be programmed for many tricks. I have myself used it for a singel emulator, but I'm not really fully into it yet as i find it a bit hard to understand completly, but i've only spend a few half hours with it. I wish there's were a few more examples build into it. Some people use it for all their emus. I would be great to a a tread here at Mala Frontend forum with differet codings for differernt emus. Anyone?

Unlocker 1.7 No specific Mala tool but what a good little program. Takes two seconds to install. How may time have you been told by windows that a file can not be moved or deleted since its used else where. This program runs in the background and appears as soon as your told this. Then you can override XP's telling you no-no little you. It's a program I use everyday almost (at least it feels so, since it's there ready to do it's job.

Registry Mechanic Maybe not anything to do with Mala but it's just a brilliant program that puts order to the registry and deletes files that are not needed in there. I have never had any problem with it doing anything that stopped my PC from running correctly. If you have had a lot of programs installed and then un-installed then this program can sort out things. Needs no update as such as it's no virus killer. But the newest is always the best.

CCleaner Deletes traces of your doings on the PC. You can cross out boxes on what it shall delete. Nice to have if you want to clean up the PC or you sell a PC. Can also find files that are no longer needed and take up space. Can random fill you HD so that it will be clean for good.

Powertoys for Windows XP Can do MANY things regarding your functions and appearance of XP. It is needed if you use Daemon for setting the 'autoplay' on the daemons letter drive to 'off' in order for Daemon to work properly. (There's other ways of doing this, but this a a quick one and the program has so many features that you can spend a day customising your xp desk. Please be carefull about some things. Do only what you know about!

Revo Uninstaller Program that removes software you don't want, and just a bit more elegant and efficient than the build in Windows program. Also an autorun manager that is very good and a junk file cleaner. Has also a big windows tools section and a few more tricks up the sleeve.

PowerIso The best iso program if you ask me. Of course taste differs, but you can take out files and put in fills at will, when you are in the main file field. This is a big plus that i have not seen everywhere.

VLC Player A little but powerful media player. Music and film, all formats. Does exatly what you expect it to do and a far cry form Microsofts  mediaplayers.

Please add your best programs!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:13:28 am by Henrik68000 »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Useful programs - Add you own to this list!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:43 am »
MediaCoder - http://www.mediacoderhq.com/download.htm I've been using this for a little while and so far it's been great. I havn't looked at the Prism Video Converter yet, but MediaCoder is essentially an indepth front-end for various open source video tools. It also supports CUDA x264 accelerated encoding, so with a nice nVidia card you can rip through media very quickly (assuming you want to encode to x264). They also have a secondary version that acts as a media conversion server, where you can set 'watch folders', share them on a network, drop media in them, and have it automatically convert it a specified format with no further user intervention.

They have caught a little flack from the ffmpeg team as they made some modifications to a few programs to them to easier automate the process and then didn't adhere to the license properly. I read the entire discussion on the ffmpeg developer site and couldn't figure out how it was ever resolved.

None the less, it's nice little program for video power-users.

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:09 am »
Fussy Rename - The proper title is "Fuzzy Rename". 
As in, using fuzzy logic/string matching, not fussy as in "hard to use, irritable" :)

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:01 am »
Yes :-)  Things can go fast sometimes and acording to new study´, letting the mind multitask is like being drunk (like the output that comes out is  from a person whose drunk). Maybe that was the case here. Still it would be better to send me a message if this tread is to be filled with lists of programs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:14:43 am by Henrik68000 »