Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: To discharge or not to discharge?  (Read 1475 times)

2panther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 04:02:12 pm
To discharge or not to discharge?
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »
I have a 27" Sony TV with component I'd like to use in my project arcade cabinet I'm building but as it stands it won't fit the way I have it built so far. I have read a bunch of threads about people taking the tv's out of their cases and making them a bit smaller so they'll fit in cabinets.

I'm a tad confused about if I need to discharge the tv or not if I'm not going to be servicing or making any kind of repairs to it, just a simple de-casing and mounting. Will the tv be safe to handle without discharging?

Thanks!

Dr Zero

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:06:43 pm
  • Sunny Florida North
    • Drzero.org
Re: To discharge or not to discharge?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »
Watch your hand placement stear clear of the big suction cup on the top and you should be ok. Oh and watch the back of the tube dont grab it or hit it you could crack it then its toast.
Manuals and info on Dynamo cabs!

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:16:18 am »
Be very careful with the small PCB that is attached to the neck of the CRT in the back. I caught my hand on it doing some adjustments inside the cab and it broke the CRT neck. This part of the tube is very fragile (I learned this the hard way). If you break it the whole tube is toast and you're stuck with trying to do a tube swap, or buying a whole new monitor.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

chriso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2015, 08:47:25 am
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »
What they said - every time you discharge you will damage the AquaDag coating on the back of the tube.
Unless you expose the anode you will be fairly safe.

If you do discharge and remove the anode cap - discharge again - you will again see a pretty blue spark.

Tape over the anode with Gaffa.

The shock might not kill you but the muscular contraction will hurt and your arm might contact sharp bits as it withdraws itself.