Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OMG What have I gotten myself into -- 10 MORE CABS!  (Read 58588 times)

frustrated_gamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2013, 01:23:51 am
Re: OMG What have I gotten myself into -- 10 MORE CABS!
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »
That's why you need to finish building your own!!!  :cheers:

My thoughts exactly... that was my inspiration!

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:13 pm »
That's why you need to finish building your own!!!  :cheers:

My thoughts exactly... that was my inspiration!

Don't worry.  I'm getting back to it SOON!  (Next week, in fact, I am buying a mini-enclosure for my deck, so I can continue!)

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:52 pm »
Here's my problem.  "Smalltownguy" lives in a small town (obviously) and yet, he's found more than TWENTY arcade cabinets to work on.  I live in a 'medium-sized' town, and dammit if I cannot find a single arcade game to play ANYWHERE around here!

:angry:   :banghead:   :cry:

;)

Well, those small town folk know about values. And arcade games are like gold. And gold is valuable.

...or maybe small town people are packrats, for better or for worse.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10:58 pm »
Heads up....

Couple of us are getting together on Saturday for some repairs.

We'll be working on monitors (cap kits & flybacks, mostly), control wiring, and general cab cleanup. We'll have a rejuvenator on site for tubes if you have a need...

We have a 500 sq foot empty space next to the owner's shop that we're going to set up work tables and go to town! I'll be there around 11am til late at night. Free beer and Pizza all day. (courtesy of me and the owner)

We'd love it if you can make it - shoot me a note or call me at 715-417-2097.

Weather's gonna be crappy this weekend, so no point in doing anything outdoors, right? :)

128 South Washington Street, Saint Croix Falls, WI, 54024

-Brad
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! More smalltownguy threads! Awesome! Really loved your first post on this thread, it was very informative. Please keep it that way and post a lot of info for us noobies.

Ask and you shall receive, my friend...

First of all, I apologize for the long post, but there's lots to document here.

Okay, I'd have to say that our repair party was a great success! We managed to get quite  a bit of troubleshooting done, and 3 of the 8 non working cabs are up and running fully, with another 2 cabs very close. Started the day at 12 noon, and I left at 10:40pm and the owner and Ryan (ballytablewiz on KLOV) were still working!

BIG thanks goes out to ballytablewiz for bringing FOUR rejuvenators to use. We ended up getting a TON of use out of them - very valuable tools indeed!

Chuck (the owner) and I started the day with moving cabs into the work space, and setting up our spare parts and work areas. Chuck wanted to address the NBA Maximum Hangtime cab first, so we went to work on it. The power switch on the cab was completely broken, and the wiring for it had been hacked together. I spent over an hour creating a new input power cord and re-crimping proper monitor AC inputs so I could use my monitor extension cable from Bob Roberts. Powered up the game and the PCB was working, but the tube was all blue - no red or green :( No rejuvenators on site yet, so we had to move on to other troubleshooting. To make sure that the issue wasn't neckboard related, I pulled the neckboard off the Marvel vs Capcom (blue) which also had a Wells Gardner 25" chassis in it too. Tried the neckboard on the Maximum Hangtime chassis and got the same blue image, so it was definately a tube issue. We moved on.

Chuck and I moved on to the Marvel vs Capcom cab (blue) to see if we could get that chassis up and running. Fuse was blown on the chassis - replaced it and it blew immediately on power up, so we know that chassis need a complete rebuild - caps are all original too. We both had spare 25" chassis lying around, so the next hour or so was spent testing each chassis on the tube in that cab. Both worked OK.

My friend Dave (dlbagna) took on the biggest project of the day - a complete rebuild of the G07 inside Chuck's Surf Planet cab. The chassis was totally dead, so Dave replaced everything in Bob's Deluxe kit: caps, flyback, HOT, regulator, both fuses. We skipped the horizontal width coil since the one onboard was fully functional and the slug turned properly. When Dave re-installed the chassis, he noticed that there was a neck pin stuck in the neck board socket. One of the pins had broken free from the back of the neck -- bummer :(

It was right around this time that Ryan showed up (ballytablewiz) and he just happened to bring a 19" donor tube for our cause...sweet! We proceeded to immediately do a tube swap to remove the broken (and burned, as we later found) G07 tube from the Surf Planet cab. We swapped both the tube and the yoke, discarding the TV's yoke. After everything was done, we still couldn't get the new tube and repaired G07 chassis to fire, so I punted and dropped in my spare G07 we'd been using for testing. That pretty much took care of that. I'll keep working the the rebuilt G07 in my spare time and I'm sure we'll get her up and going. If not, I'll call Chris25810 :)

After that, we moved on to rejuvenation....Ryan pretty much gave a clinic on how to use the B&K and sencore units for testing, restoring, and rejuvenating the guns in a tube. We were able to test/fix/repair three 25" tubes and 2 19" tubes. Chuck bought one immediately - this will be a great tool to have in the toolbox!

We turned our attention to the Soul Edge cab next. It had a 19" Wells Gardner 19k7000 series monitor in it. I tested the game on my spare 19K7951, and it worked perfectly on that monitor. So I dropped my working chassis into the cab on the tube inside, and got a picture that was all red with retrace lines all over. Then I power cycled the cab and got a good picture. Power cycling again brought the red back. Strange, since this chassis is working perfectly on my tube. We tested the tube with the Sencore, and it checked out OK. The issue is either with the game board (or wiring coming from it to the chassis) or with the tube, not sure which. This one is perplexing me - next step is going to be to pull the monitor and test it with another known working game to see if any issues follow the monitor. So this one is still in the diagnosis stage.

By this time, it was starting to get pretty late in the day, and we were running out of time. I was starting to get tired, and was making some mistakes. Two times I mistakenly powered on a chassis without connecting the anode cap - not a good idea.

Before we left, I took a quick look at the Marvel vs Capcom (red) cab with the Hantarex Polo. Testing the cab's power supply revealed that there was no power getting to the monitor. So this cab needs the power supply replaced before we can get much further. Chuck tells me that the monitor was arcing pretty good when he had it, and he believes the flyback has toasted. I inspected the flyback knobs and housing, and there was not just dust on it - there were scorch marks and soot, so I believe him when he tells me that it's toast. I also noticed that the anode cap was riding pretty high, and when I lifted the cup, I saw that only 1 of the anode lead's teeth was clipped in. My diagnosis is that the anode was arcing due to the fact that the anode wasn't clipped in properly, ultimately leading to the flyback's demise. First things first, this cab needs a new power supply, then we can worry about pulling the chassis and replacing the flyback.

That's as far as I could get in one day. There was lots of 'hands on' learning and teaching yesterday, so the progress was slow, but it was a very productive day. Ballytablewiz was able to get his 13" monitor recapped as well.

1. Surf Planet - fixed, (I dropped in my G07)
2. Rampage (dedicated) - 19K7xxx monitor, not addressed yet. Also needs sound board repair.
3. Killer Instict 2 (TMNT conversion) - 25K74xx monitor, needs cap kit. Not addressed yet.
4. Final Fight - (Taito conversion, probably was a Pirate Pete) - needs controls work - not addressed yet.
5. Sharpshooter - working
6. Soul Edge (dynamo cab) - working. Original monitor has intermittent issue that is still being troubleshooted.
7. Marvel vs Capcom (blue) - working - needs new monitor signal calbes created.
8. Marvel vs Capcom (red) - Hantarex Polo needs flyback replacement. Cab needs new power supply.
9. Primal Rage - currently a police trainer, needs to be 'deconverted' back to a dedicated PR - not addressed yet.
10. NBA Jam Maximum Hangtime - fully working.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
Oh man, thats too bad I missed the party! I spent all day (at work >:D) reading this thread from start to finish. I would love to know if you have another get together, Im just north of Mankato, MN. I've got a dedicated Nintendo playchoice 10 dual monitor. The top monitor has some issues though. Then I have a virtua fighter cab that was converted to nfl blitz, that i'm in the process of mame-ing out. I feel very motivated by your thread, time to go out to the garage!

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, there will most DEFINITELY be another get together soon, to finish up details on the remaining 4 cabs that still need work.

I have promised pictures of the repair party, and I'll get them to you. Chuck (the owner) has been super busy the past 2 weeks and that's a good thing for his store, not so good for our monitor work :(

I have more updates on these cabs to share too, but I need to get some pics taken to go along with the boring words. :) Need eye candy too, right?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
Just wanted to bump this thread with some updates:

1. Surf Planet: switching power supply died last month. Replaced it, and then the boards died. My friend Dave (dlbagna) has a spare set of boards, so we may try swapping them in.
2. Rampage: monitor has been repaired, still need to work on sound board. This one is high on the priority list.
3. Killer Instict: fixed. swapped in another monitor chassis, and this one is playable. The original k7400 monitor is on my bench, awaiting a recap. As soon as it's done, we'll have another free 25" chassis to use in one of the capcom cabs.
4. Final Fight: fixed.
5. Sharpshooter: fixed.
6. Soul Edge: monitor has a bad tube. We have a spare monitor to drop in, but it will require cutting a slot in the opening to accomodate the G07 frame. This one is low on the priority list, since it's currently in storage.
7. Marvel Vs. Capcom (blue): no progress. Needs video cables terminated with new connectors.
8. Marvel Vs. Capcom (red): Hantarex flyback replaced, now we get wierd 'light-to-dark' washing happening with the image. This cab should get a new monitor (when the 7400 for the KI is done).
9. Primal Rage: Neotec monitor won't sync, suspect bad caps. Since this one is a de-conversion, we're waiting on it until some of the other cabs are finished. It's in storage.
10. Maximum Hangtime: fixed.

The past few months have been pretty busy for the store owner, signing a new lease on a larger store space, and purchasing a new home. So there's lots going on. I would like to get up there some time this week to work on some more repairs. I have a few things around my place to do (including 2 new pin pickups, and an Asteroids cab to repair), but I should be able to get there soon.

I know I've promised pics - I will try to remember to take more of them as we document our repairs.

joeb1355

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2020, 08:31:25 pm
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »
I am looking at doing a very similar swap with a cr31 neck tube on a WG7602 monitor and have the same question about keeping the original neck or not.

What happen with you swap how did you blow the tube, by not swapping the yoke?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »
Not sure what happened with the first swap. I remember there was an extra wire going to the TV's neckboard that I couldn't find a home for on the arcade chassis. Likely I was trying to use an incompatible tube. *poof*