Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Forum Software  (Read 1831 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Forum Software
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »
Hi,

My forum software (IP Board) is coming around for another annual wallet gouging this month.  I'm looking at phpBBs for a long term alternative.  Has anyone had any experience with phpBBs, and if possible does anyone know of other alternatives?  I use my forum just like BYOAC, so I do not need the fancy bells and whistles that came with the existing package.  Something simple and not prone to hacking.

Thanks
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:08:16 pm »
BYOAC is powere by Simple Machines Forum:
http://www.simplemachines.org/

I've had some experience with it and it works well enough. phpBB works well enough too.

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:38:16 am »
That reply was exactly what I needed.

I was under the impression that Saint had leased his forum like IPBoard, but it all makes sense now.  I will be moving to SMF instead, as my provider has a script that gets it installed PDQ.

The joy I have yet to experience is converting the IPB database to SMF, but I am sure there are converters around that will take care of it.

Thank you for the suggestion and link.  :cheers:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.