Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: B - H.I.V.E (Update: 09-15-2010)  (Read 5967 times)

Nicodumas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 09:51:06 am
B - H.I.V.E (Update: 09-15-2010)
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:36 am »
So the wife and I are going to work on a custom "Modern Podium" cab.

We agreed that the build will be done in phases, starting with building a nice CP that we can use on a coffee table.
Phase two will be making a CP that has all the inner workings of a cab (minus the screen).
The 3rd (and maybe final) will be mounting the (final version) CP to a podium, and rebuilding the system (beef it up), and attach the whole thing to a wall mounted (42+ inch) flat screen.

I know this will not be a classic arcade, but we want this to be the "center piece" for our gaming room.

As for the name: B (1st letter of our last name) Human Interface, Virtual Environments

Expect to see design ideas later this week.
If you have questions/comments feel free!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:01:16 pm by Nicodumas »

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
Re: B - H.I.V.E
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:55 am »
Sounds great!

I like your build/reward system, try to avoid total addiction at the control panel stage ;)

Looking forward to seeing your plans

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:14:33 am »
 :applaud:  :applaud:
         A project that a wife not only approves of but will actually help with the build:
 I LOVE IT!!!

You my friend are a lucky man
 :cheers:

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:30:10 am »
Attempted to build a mock up last night, but the world sad no. Hoping that tonight is a bit different.

I have to look for all of my sketch tools, as it will be a LOT nicer to have this mini mock (because all of the power tools I have are 2 hours away from me).

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:24 pm »
Sorry for the double, but I think I have an idea for the layout.

I am new to vector software, and I know this looks odd, but I promise detailed work shortly.

As for what I see going on here, I want the system to have a running honeycomb look and feel. I will be messing w/ sizes to make sure the palm rest feels good as well as to make sure that the dust covers and buttons all feel secure. I am open to making the P1/P2 hexs bigger, and will most likely do so. As for the color choices we are going w/ these plus orange/blue for the P3/4 (4 button) sections. However I didn't want to show the whole idea as I am attempting to avoid CP lock (I am already getting WAY ahead of myself with it, as I have the whole CP planned in my head).

As always, let me know what you think.

Again, I know the img is crappy, but if I didn't get something up then I would never get any where.

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:53:26 pm »
I like the idea for the theme.  But you NEED to find some hexagonal dust washers!!

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:59:41 pm »
good call on that one. If it comes down to it I will build my own (w/ tracking tacks so they stay "true" to the rest of the system). Now I have more things to think about. Grrrrrrr.... *grabs paper and starts thinking*

The Hex theme (bee honey-comb) has myself and a co-worker in a frenzy over this build. We spend a good 20 min every day going over what else I need to talk to the wife about. Thus far, she and I agree on the Hex theme, and are looking to the next time we can see my family (as my father has all the tools we need).

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:07:12 am »
Get the pencil back out.

After remembering that this is a podium... how about a hexagonal base also?  Not the whole upright section (too many angles), but just the very bottom.   A couple mitre cuts should do it, nothing too complicated.  Perhaps build the bottom base in one of your colors, then have the upright section in your other color to help tie in the color scheme.

.....then we'll need to find some buzzing bee sound effects and loop the recording playing on a speaker thats muffled slightly by a small pillow inside the base, to give the unknowing passer-by a slight scare.  >:D >:D >:D

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:01:07 am »
the system will go from gun metal gray on the top to carbon fiber black on the bottom (fade). We are going with a mechanical theme for the bees. The hex pattern is going to flow down the pillar (will wrap around so that there are no hard edges for people to get hurt on).  

Hoping tonight to have the 4 player lay out. I don't know about a track ball, as I play shooters and fighters, where as my wife plays fighters and classics.

Well, I went ahead and dry fit my buttons for the player layout, and I like them. (Wife also approves)

Still working out a simple way to do the main box for the CP so I don't have to make crazy cuts and get all nuts on the t-molding.

(Note: I know they are not 100% true, I did this w/ a knife while the wife was sleeping. At least I know now what the spacing will be so I can work on getting the rest set up. Good feelings as I have started to edit my original ideas).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:41:34 pm by Nicodumas »

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
Another night, another thing getting in the way. Today was the opening game for Ohio State, so we had to go over to some friends. However, I have a nice template in the Wii Fit box, and I should have all the needed measurements to start blue printing. Meaning we can expect a model in the week.

I now have all of my parts. This weekend we build the 1st working prototype!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:37:53 am by Nicodumas »

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »
Was able to hit my parents and get everything setup. Nice to have a working CP. Now we can start drawing on this and getting new ideas, seeing how much we need to cut off and resize for the HEX. I know it looks like a standard CP, but it will be getting a custom work over. Wife and I can't wait to start playing on this for some field testing.

I need to get new wire, my 18 gauge isn't playing nice w/ the quick disconnects.  :cry: But, at least all my parts are here so I can get the 2 player set running and get ideas from friends. Looks like I am on my way to completing phase 1 of the b-hive!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:44:52 pm by Nicodumas »

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 03:31:03 am »
I need to get new wire, my 18 gauge isn't playing nice w/ the quick disconnects.  :cry:

Completing the control panel first is NOT a good idea.  It makes the rest of the cab take 3-10 times as long to complete.  Too many "tests" get run...   ;D ;D ;D

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:39:38 am »
Seeing as the full system will be an install piece, this is the only way we can go about doing the build. Now I can scale mock and learn from mistakes (made a few w/ cuts and placing).

Also, this method makes for a happy wife... and we all know what that means. In all, learned a good bit just from this "simple" build. the next version of it should be made in a few months, it will include the theme as well as a few other things. The biggest thing is that I am going to take a LOT more time on my mark and drills, as a few buttons are just out of line as well as a few holes.

The wife is already working on ideas for the CP artwork, and we have the look and feel agreed on. Here's to many more pics and build days!

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:19 am »
Sounds like you already have "It takes however long it takes" approval.  Glad to hear it is a joint venture in cab building and we look forward to more pics of course!   ;D

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:08:36 pm »
Wired, tested... blast! I have a spinner coming soon (co-worker is giving me one), so that means I have something else to add to the bard. Also, design ideas are flowing.

It's amazing how things change by just having your test setup. Really can't wait to get finer details set.

Another Co-Worker informed me that I can use his CnC machine to do my next cut. With all this power, I might be able to move forwards a LOT faster than I thought!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:00:40 pm by Nicodumas »