Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (UK) What to prime MDF with? (mdf primer duh....)  (Read 8635 times)

Rusty Shackelford

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 02:02:09 pm
(UK) What to prime MDF with? (mdf primer duh....)
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:34 am »
Has anyone got any good advice for priming MDF? Here is my problem.

Common sense says to use an oil based primer, but for some reason (probably health and safety) oil based primers are getting rarer. ( Wickes has a VERY small can of oil based MDF primer for £10)

So the next product is normal oil based wood primer but is this suitable for MDF ie soaking in, showing grain etc.?

And last we have water based, easy clean wood primer widely avalible but hang on...water based? Can a water based product be used on MDF? The cans say all wood but MDF technicly isnt wood (its a manmade board).

So anyone who can give advise or guidance thanks in advance.

gryhnd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
Re: (UK) What to prime MDF with? (mdf primer duh....)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:06:11 am »
I use automotive spray (can) primer like Rustoleum. I've also used more generic gray spray primers.
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:20:13 am »
I just completed priming a fireplace I built from MDF, and I used KILZ (http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=62de90033f9ff110VgnVCM1000008a05d103RCRD) water based Primer on it.  It went on like a dream (brushed, mind you) and now, all I need to do is some fine sanding before my finish coat.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:42 am
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »
I use automotive spray (can) primer like Rustoleum. I've also used more generic gray spray primers.

This is my choice too except that I first coat with automotive spray putty, its more viscous than the auto primer and beautifuly fills the usual surface roughness of MDF.  When sanded back it gives the auto primer a very even surface to coat.

shan1784

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 01:59:13 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:54:23 am »
I just completed my control panel box and I followed the steps in the following worklog -

http://shoryuken.com/f177/how-paint-mdf-mirror-finish-worklog-191692/

I'm not to sure that it matters what kind of primer to use.. I just used some primer I found in a spray can at home depot.. I think the main thing is to prime, sand (I used 220 grit sanding sponge thing), prime, sand, paint, sand, paint... Oh and also use some kind of spackel on the unfinished edges and sand it smooth... I've noticed on my box that the edges look quite a bit different when painted... I think the worklog above covers this as well...

Here's what my finished control panel box looks like below...

Good luck..

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:06:15 am by shan1784 »
Thanks,
Mike
--------------------------------------

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:05:22 am »
MDF is a derivative of wood. Therefore, you CAN use wood primer or whatever wood product you want.
I dyed my CP and front pannel with wood sealant no problems, just don't expect wood grain to show (there's no grain in MDF)

I should have put less dye, more clear, but am happy with the result none the less.

MDF drinks a lot, it'll drink anything you give it. You should be able to use whatever paint and primer you want no big issue.

If in doubt, try on a small test area before doing your whole part with it.
-Mars

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 02:02:09 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:22:30 am »
I just completed my control panel box and I followed the steps in the following worklog -

http://shoryuken.com/f177/how-paint-mdf-mirror-finish-worklog-191692/

I'm not to sure that it matters what kind of primer to use.. I just used some primer I found in a spray can at home depot.. I think the main thing is to prime, sand (I used 220 grit sanding sponge thing), prime, sand, paint, sand, paint... Oh and also use some kind of spackel on the unfinished edges and sand it smooth... I've noticed on my box that the edges look quite a bit different when painted... I think the worklog above covers this as well...

Here's what my finished control panel box looks like below...

Good luck..

Thank you for that there are some good tips in there  :cheers: