Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MA is fighting me all the way.  (Read 3261 times)

The Lumberjackass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2015, 08:58:56 pm
MA is fighting me all the way.
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:49:23 pm »
lo lo,

right , im nearly at the end of my tether !  :banghead:
this front end is really starting to get on my nerves now.

problems ?  :dunno
ok , lets start off in saying this front end doesnt like to be messed with at all. i.e , it doesnt like to be modified .
i have changed the default theme to something i like ( custom ) and then the program starts spitting the dummy.
basically , all my settings went out the window . it even changed the emulators and their settings on its own.

to give an example , i put mame118 in msx 1.0 slot and mame32 in msx2.0 slot  . after changing the theme , MA decided , all by itself , to change msx1.0 to mame32 and kept
msx2.0 slot as mame32.

another problem , is the auto-boot.
i put the MA exe in the start-up folder , but upon boot , my pc started launching explorer pages of the skins folder and the cache folder.
i was then told " no skins are listed , please put a skin into the skins folder " .
i did this , but the explorer pages still launch while MA is loading in the background. so all i see is half a page of cache and half a page of the skins folder , with the MA
loading screen in the background.

however,
launching MA from the desktop works fine , but launch it from the start-up folder and there's trouble.

another problem , the settings for the keystrokes arent being remembered.
i have the / key as my front-end exit . if i press this on the autobooted MA , it wont work.
if i press it on the desktop executed MA it does work. something somewhere is horribly wrong and although im a nice guy 90% of the time,
im growing very cynical on this program and all its flaws. i can see why mameseer adandonded it , it had nothing to do with piracy , its because his program is a lemon.

although im not liking the program at this point in time , i have to stick with it because my cab is set up around it.
im not exactly looking for help , but i just need to vent my frustrations at this program .

I may be a jackass , but im no fool !

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
Re: MA is fighting me all the way.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:18 am »
another problem , is the auto-boot.
i put the MA exe in the start-up folder , but upon boot , my pc started launching explorer pages of the skins folder and the cache folder.
i was then told " no skins are listed , please put a skin into the skins folder " .
i did this , but the explorer pages still launch while MA is loading in the background. so all i see is half a page of cache and half a page of the skins folder , with the MA
loading screen in the background.

however,
launching MA from the desktop works fine , but launch it from the start-up folder and there's trouble.
It sounds like you put the whole MA folder in the startup folder...  You only need to create a shortcut to the Maximus Arcade.exe in the startup. 

The Lumberjackass

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:00:54 am »
indeed thats what it sounds like , but i assure you i only placed the exe in there.
automatically it adds the cache and skins folder ( i tested it on my other pc ) but when it actually launched them in the explorer window it was a bit of a shock.

however , my other pc can autoboot MA just fine , without popping up the cache and skins folder.

something tells me i may need to reformat my pc.
MA doesnt have an uninstall feature , and uninstalling it through " add or remove programs " is a waste of time as
the settings are still held in memory somewhere even though you think its uninstalled.

im going to reformat completely , and only install the finished skin by placing it in the folder ( im not going to use the theme editor on the same pc ) and
im not going to open up the " preferences " menu that much . as i think constantly opening this menu screws up the program alot too.

but, just my 2cents :)

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:28 am »
Make a system restore point after your new install, then if it goes tits up again for you - you can at least restore to pre MA installation.

I haven't tried changed the themes yet, but as a new MA user I'm finding it an excellent front end.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »
Indeed.  Putting the .exe in the startup is a no no.  Make sure it's a shortcut first, then place it.  Or better yet, don't put anything in the startup.  Then go to the preferences (must do this from withing the front end, not directly from the preferences.exe) and select the check box to have Maximus put it in the startup for you.  This will guarantee that it is done correctly.

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

The Lumberjackass

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
a-ha !
ok i see what i did there , i did indeed put the exe itself in the start up folder instead of a  "short cut" to the exe !
thanks for pointing that out to me . honestly, im making alot of noob mistakes with my pc lately  ;D
although i can blame a savage headcold and a sore throat  :dizzy: for my lack of precision , hehe

and gathering from the replies , launching the preferences menu from the desktop is akin to shooting one's own foot.

i will check out both instantsheller, and the other way , through ctrl + p within MA and checking the box . so thanks for the suggestions  :cheers:

and glad your liking it jimmy , even with the glitches , it is the best front end out there , lemons and all  :afro: